Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords rattle cans  (Read 5949 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Halfords rattle cans
« on: February 14, 2016, 08:16:43 pm »

I'm finally trying to wangle a trip to the nearest Halfords soon, so can some kind soul please advise which of their rattle cans I need

a. to go on top of rubbed-down sanding sealer on ply (and also on bare Plasticard) as a filler/primer

b. to go over fully-dried Tamiya acrylic topcoat to protect it and leave a matt (or possibly even satin) finish
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Halfords rattle cans
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:37:01 pm »

N.C.  Look for the primer filler, its yellow when applied and will fill the grain and any brush marks, sand again with 600 wet and dry, the matt and semi matt clear cote is not on the same rack as the primer, in my Halfords it took some finding, but it is there. to go on Plasticard use a plastic primer first (for bumpers) this keys the plastic for paint,

Hope this helps

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 09:04:43 pm »

look at my painting guide

Dave

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 08:01:35 am »

look at my painting guide

Dave

I have done, Dave.  Several times.  I've learned from it, and I'm glad you took the trouble to do it. 

Ref my query about which filler primer I want from Halfords, apologies.  I should have said "Do I actually want the Halfords Filler Primer which comes in two sizes and is yellow?  The one that has one good review on the Halfords site and three bad ones?".  It would seem from Mark's helpful answer that yes, I do.

Ref my query about plasticard, despite having read your guide several times, I hadn't noticed until now that you do in fact mention substrates in your guide - once, in the context of rubbing down, in the third from last para with " ... one way of CHEATING especially if it is a plastic kit is ...".  So I'm now guessing that all your advice does apply to styrene too, not just the rubbing down, and that Halfords Primer Filler is good for both wood and styrene.

Perhaps I should have added that in order to get to Halfords, it's 2-3 miles walking and 40 minutes on the bus, plus I can't actually be away from home for that long very often at the moment, so I need to be confident that when I do finally get there, I get the right stuff.  (They don't deliver paint sprays.)

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 08:15:52 am »

Hi Norman, i think that Halfords do a clic and collect service, a quick phone call would confirm

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 08:37:00 am »

Hi Norman, i think that Halfords do a clic and collect service, a quick phone call would confirm

Mark

They do and I'll be using it for sure, Mark.   :-)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 01:27:13 pm »

Forgot to say that I still have no idea which of the Halford spray cans will be best to use as a matt top coat over Tamiya acrylics ...

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 03:44:59 pm »

Stands back and watches the crackled paint appear {:-{

You do not say what the sanding sealer is, chances are its a general wood product so will be one of the many enamel/acrylic/water based paints that are available. Spray a cellulose type paint on that an the only result will be a horrible rippled finish where the paints interact.

Any existing paint needs to be sealed with the correct sealer coat, this is different to sanding sealer which seals the grain of wood. A sealer coat seals in any existing paint from reacting with any new substrate. If you are going to use car paint (Halfords) then unless you can buy a sealer from them don't bother.

I think this is what Stavros was getting at when he said read his article.

However, Halfords, also sell a range of Plasticote paints, these generally are ok sprayed over other types of paint, but again use the correct primer with them.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 03:58:17 pm »

Stands back and watches the crackled paint appear {:-{

You do not say what the sanding sealer is, chances are its a general wood product so will be one of the many enamel/acrylic/water based paints that are available. Spray a cellulose type paint on that an the only result will be a horrible rippled finish where the paints interact.

Any existing paint needs to be sealed with the correct sealer coat, this is different to sanding sealer which seals the grain of wood. A sealer coat seals in any existing paint from reacting with any new substrate. If you are going to use car paint (Halfords) then unless you can buy a sealer from them don't bother.

I think this is what Stavros was getting at when he said read his article.

However, Halfords, also sell a range of Plasticote paints, these generally are ok sprayed over other types of paint, but again use the correct primer with them.

And even if you think they should be compatible its always wise to test on some scrap first
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 04:19:12 pm »

Brian, the sanding sealer isn't on yet.  It was going to be, in line with advice I'd received offline, but now it's out because of the fumes.  So the general plan for the above-deck structures is

Rub down ply (and any plasticard bits fixed to ply), wait for dry day without gale blowing and spray with Halford's yellow Filler Primer stuff (i.e. straight on to bare substrate)

Follow Stavros's guide re filling, rubbing down etc

Brush-paint using Tamiya acrylics

Apply something over that to give a satin finish.  I am advised that Halfords Satin Laquer should be OK for that, so the intention now is to get a can and try it on some test surfaces prepared as above. I'll be ever so glad when I do finally get this whole painting business sorted.  The main problem has been my total ignorance of the subject coupled with some conflicting/vague advice that I've received, on top of circumstances ruling out spraying except outdoors  :((

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 07:48:54 pm »

Go with Plasticote, also available at B&Q. Nice range of colours and they also do a clear in gloss and satin.

The main thing to do with paint and it is the No1 rule. If you start with one type of paint, ie acrylic stick to the same type for everything else (unless you really have a handle on how the paints act together) and you can't go wrong.

For instance I use car paint (cellulose but now superceded by a type of stinky acrylic) as a primer. But then use enamels over that, because you can put enamel over cellulose but not the other way around. Then I put stuff like Lifecolor, Tamiya, Humbrol acrylics over enamel, no problems, but I wouldn't put enamels over acrylics. You get the picture.

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 09:26:50 pm »

Please DO NOT Use ruddy PLASTICOATE......as soon as you put the second coat on it will REACT...they have changed it and it is PANTS....stick to Halfords paints and yes it is the yellow coloured one

Dave

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 02:29:24 am »

I've NEVER had a problem with Plasticote, unless it is their chrome spray which does react with a second coat. I guess the clue is in the name CAR paint. Made for painting CARS aka metal but each to their own.

Stick to the high VOC car paints or go with something a little more gentle. Yep I know car paints come in water based variety now, but unless you have mega bucks and spray equipment you can't afford them, rattle cans are still bad for you and the environment.

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 07:04:24 am »

Thank you one and all.  It looks an awful lot like I'm finally sorted  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.