Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question on flags  (Read 1564 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
A question on flags
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:35:27 pm »

Now I have to admit no knowledge of these whatsover so here goes.

My last build I used a lot of reference photos from the internet. In each one it showed the tugs of the operator flying the flag of Malaysia where the company is based.

However the tugs are registered in Cyprus.

Are they setting a precedent?

Should the flag of registry country be up there? What about company flag? Or is it a case of any old flag will do?

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A question on flags
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:20:53 pm »

The ensign of the country of registry is flown at sea from a gaff fitted to the aft side of the mast and in port from the ensign staff usually, on a tug, fitted to a rail behind the funnel or up takes. The ensign of the country the ship is working in is hoisted at the starboard yard arm on the mast. This is known as a courtesy flag. The company (house) flag is hoisted at the port yardarm. Any old flag just won't do. Flag use in the uk is governed by maritime law as it is in most countries. Flags should be respected and looked after. Miss use of flags in foreign countries will often result in a fine or worse. Google marine flag etiquette for more details.
Jerry.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:21:32 pm »

Brian.  I would suggest this is a question for Mike Allsop at "Scale Flags & Ensigns" who seems to be a guru on such things.  He often has his stand at shows, but has no website.  I hope I am not breaking Mayhem rules by reproducing the phone number from his Flags business card that he gives out at shows. 
He can reproduce either flag at most scales. 01476 57331

Bob k
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 05:57:07 am »

Thanks Bob and Jerry. I think Jerry has given all the information I wanted to satisfy my curiosity. I guess they are not showing a house flag as they carry the emblem on the funnel/uptake sides. They are flying the country they are working out of (Malaysia) on the starboard aft of mast. The only one missing is the Cypriot flag as country of registry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.