Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: hms victorys new paint schème  (Read 13367 times)

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: hms victorys new paint schème
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 10:22:48 am »

Nice pic nemo, i suppose its how you or the painter perceive  the colour  your looking at and how the subject is lit, oh dear its all getting technical were are my rose tinted glasses, if you look at the pics unbuilt  nautilus  posted the colour looks right, the 1/48th suprise has a 1/24th brother which i will try the updated scheme on , regards  pete

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 11:26:31 am »

Many contemporary paintings seem to show the pale colour that Victory now wears. However, many paintings show other colours. It was often the captains prerogative as to how much to lavish on paint and decoration on their individual ships, Captain Hardy being described as a bit of a 'tight git' opted to go with the Admiralty standard colours rather than spend a bit more on something a touch more colourful. I assume Victory is wearing the Admiralty standard 'crabfat' of the day.
 Pure supposition but, I would assume Frigate Captains, able to bolster their finances with prizes of war, ( ( more than your typical Admiral lumbered with the big Ships of the Line, ) may be more keen to flaunt their hard earned wealth, by sprucing up their individual ships. I would :-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 08:00:45 pm »

Bellerophon, being English would not be the opposition, anyway, so what is the new official colour in scale terms, ie humbrols - my Sovereign is Tamiya XF-4 as its a bit deeper in a shade to humbrol Matt 74 (Linen), which Airfix has in the manual under the OCRE areas, I prefer the Ocre as it looks newer, where as, the new colour looks like its faded with use, so then again it might be better. 
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 10:39:14 pm »

I used revell flesh colour for the chrome yellow  and revell anthracite  for the black paint work on my brig sophie as suggested by unbuilt nautilus  and it does work havent done the masts in the cream paint yet , regards pete

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2016, 10:23:03 am »

so what numbers would those be, humbrol's matt 61 is what I use for flesh, and would be too meditereanean or fake tan coloured, (little un looks like he got sunburn  {-) )

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2016, 11:25:09 am »

Revell enamel matt 35 flesh colour  and  matt 9 anthracite  the flesh looks odd till ,it goes on with the anthracite  ,have a look at the pics on this thread , regards  pete

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 11:52:45 am »

so the flesh is put on top of the anthracite, so the black shows through the flesh to darken it, I was going to paint the whole of the top section with the lighter colour and mask off to paint the black, as it would not bleed through then.

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2016, 12:51:01 pm »

The flesh colour replaces the ochre and the anthracite  replaces the black , do a test on a piece of card, regards pete

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 07:56:33 pm »

having looked at the colours on the photos, the anthracite isn't that bad, but until I get to the model shop, getting the ocre is going to have to wait, plus getting a replacement spray gun is next, and the pennies for that are far and few between at the moment, so doing other bits will be on the cards first.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2016, 08:03:18 pm »

I visited the dockyard today and spent an hour or so wandering about Victory with two friends. There is a lot more of the ship open to the public now including the poop and you exit the vessel from the hold into the dry dock. They are still working on the restoration but there is much to see all the same.

HMS Diamond was moored nearby.

Colin

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2016, 08:23:30 pm »

Notice how some have only one rope through the nub on the rear of the cannon whereas some have two with the other draped over the top of the nub. I also noted they had painted the panelling around the ships wheel, I hope that the paint comes of cleanly if they ever put it back to mahogany, would that have been done in the time of Nelson?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2016, 10:59:16 pm »

The modern naval vessel is HMS Diamond - hopefully in an unfused condition.....

Colin

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2016, 06:56:18 pm »

now I don't get that!!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2016, 07:02:40 pm »

You may have missed the recent report that the electrical generation capacity of the Daring class is insufficient to meet the maximum load placed upon it with the result that the circuit breakers or whatever they are trip out leaving the ship dead in the water.

Extra generating capacity will need to be installed which entails cutting the ships open to install the necessary equipment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35432341

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2016, 11:17:47 pm »

mmmmmmmmmm  <*<........a little off thread, but this is not new.....has been kept under wraps as the design inadequacy was known during the actual build of the Type 45's & prior to the first vessels commissioning .........the blame lies on the steps of Whitehall not at Portsmouth .......extract from BBC News

"Admiral Lord West, a former First Sea Lord, said the development was "very worrying" and the MoD must have known "three or four years ago" that the destroyers had problems"
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2016, 06:33:26 pm »

Not so much a problem for Victory as she has access to land based supplies  %). (heard somewhere that so new ships were under powered forgot it was these 45's.

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2016, 08:35:20 pm »

Got to visit  victory in the flesh this week, they are in the process of painting the masts cream , had a chat with one of the guides who explained that the original invoice had been discovered from the period up to trafalgar it listed the ingredients  and costs.The colour scheme is correct much to the annoyance of many builders of the victory that had viewed the boat, I have to say it looks right, regards pete

Ship Worm

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2016, 10:02:46 am »

Interesting to see the comments about Victory's colour scheme. I know when I did a couple of detailed static models of her that it took some doing to get a colour that I 'thought' was right because of the difference in shade on most photographs.
Currently doing a fairly detailed model of Mary Rose which is a minefield of different opinions as to colour and decoration. Even phoned the museum at Portsmouth and apart from the colour of one block which they knew was black, they did not know the inside decoration/colour. I remember diving on her when she was still on the seabed - but that is another story.

I may be getting older - but I refuse to grow up!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 23 queries.