Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1  (Read 7338 times)

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
5, 4, 3, 2, 1
« on: August 02, 2007, 07:15:26 pm »

THUNDER BIRDS ARE GO. :o

SWMBO has suggested instead of me buying yet another model why not make something a bit different and she came out with Thunderbird 4 :o.
I hear some of you saying what on earth was she thinking but she has a point its different and it give me something to research at the same time.

so heres the challenge has anyone built one??? should i scratch build it???

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Pointy

Re: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 07:25:24 pm »

Dude,

Check out Martins' main site, look for "Shows" and "Marine Inspiration day at Vicar Water" Someone has made one at it looks well smart. Think it would be a nice different thing to see on the water but will you make your one dive......?

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:27:26 pm »

Its not a Thunderbird if it doesnt dive too  ;D ;D

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 06:17:01 pm »

Doing some research on this and cannot find any DECENT pictures of thunderbird 4

can any of you web wonders help me out???

Jay

slewis

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 06:34:50 pm »

Here you go Jay  ;)

http://homepages.tesco.net/d.sisson/tb4.htm

"Stand by for action !"  :D

Shane

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 06:35:16 pm »

Try this, some good pictures at the end.
http://homepages.tesco.net/d.sisson/tb4.htm

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 06:41:35 pm »

I searched and never came across those its just what i was looking for.

mind you what shall i build it out of i wonder, im thinking make a wooden plug and glass fibre the whole thing until i get a solid lump so to speak.

Jay

kendalboatsman

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 06:41:45 pm »

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 06:43:45 pm »

Seen that one kendal some of the pictures are really small but its good for referance.

Jay

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 08:31:29 pm »

Jay,
There is one in the Portsmouth Display  Team, I dont know if it was made from plans or just pictures.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 08:41:34 pm »

Cheers for that Bob handy to know, think im going to give it a bash and see how it progresses.

Jay

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 05:44:44 pm »

try contacting the andersons direct, sylvia ( Gerry's daughter) still  is in the business and does talks on the circuit to fan groups and similar- she also visits alot of the modelmakers like the one in the link shown above....she goes to  to see the licenced models being made in some cases,  also some of these modelmakers assist with restoration and re working of original anderson models, - i met here once at a modelmaking business in oxfordshire where i was restoring one of the terrahawks zeros.....

we used to get fairly good drawings from the family so as to restore the models, surely there must be some out there for T4......... i guess some in depth net searches may reveal something.....

also in the martin bowers images there is a schematic drawing shown and a coloured plan and elevation....  if you look carefully in the photos there is some reference material along with a LEGO satelite dish -kit bashing maybe !!!
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 09:09:23 pm »

Have a look here-

http://subpirates.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=94

ther are some good drawings there.

I'd build a master and then make mould from GRP.

Andy

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 10:01:49 pm »

Andy you my freind are a real gent for finding those pictures, ive got the thrust side of things figured out and ready so making it move across the water is sorted just got to build a model to put it in  ::)

Now ive got to figure out what size to build her as i want her big but stable enough to carry all her internals.

Not being knowledgable on SUB gear what size are the units for a static dive model??? or is it a case of build a dive tank myself???

Jay

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 11:01:28 am »

what dive  tank type do you plan to use, i piston tank ( like a giant syringe ) or a gummi sac ( a flexible bag you pump water into ?)

there are pros and cons for each system... the piston tanks allow tyou dive alot quicker, the gummi sac is good if you have irregular space you wish to flood....

depends on what type of system you go for-
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 01:22:03 pm »

I think the Piston tank would be the better option for this model.

The model size will be 32inches long from the nose cone to the back (excluding light bar and thruster tubes)

Got the pictures being blown up today so the pictures will be the same size i want to make the model, Im going to try and vacuum mould a shell once ive made the basic wooden templates.

Jay

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 03:05:40 pm »

Good luck with the build.

At that size you'll have no problems with space for the equipment.

Regarding a ballast system and dive module, use a cylinder, UPVC pipe is cheap and effective (free if you keep an eye out in skips), also easy to work with.

A pumped water ballast system is very cheap. Piston tanks are best for accurate trim, but are also the most expensive and complex solution.

You could start off by making it a dynamic diver, then adding a ballast system later on.

AFAIK, no one has yet succeeded in getting a fully diving TB4  going.

Andy

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 10:20:47 pm »

Would a Rubber ReBreather Bag for a Gas Mask work as a air bag ??? there SO cheap on fleabay.

got my lexan tubes on order that come with end caps  ;D i have got the running gear aswell

next week if everything works out with the electrics and getting the polystyrene tube holder batterys and internal gear to sink and rise okay i may start the build thread :o

i think ive gone about this a bit bum about face but i would rather get the insides working then build the model to suit.

Jay

slewis

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 10:35:27 pm »

i think ive gone about this a bit bum about face but i would rather get the insides working then build the model to suit.

Not at all . I think you are going about this in the correct way . Whats the point in building a model only to find that the innards dont work ?
On a different but same tack I am also building a Fairey gannet (rc plane) with folding wings /contra props and the rest . I wouldnt expect to build the plane first then have a go at the working bits !

You are doing this the right way around my friend  , its not like its a known kit of parts  ;)

Shane

keep on with the updates mate

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 05:35:07 pm »

There are lots of bags that are useable. 

Urine sacks (new ones!) are a good choice for larger bags, also drip feed bags. These are very strong, and cheaply available from ebay.

You can also make up a custom bag using an old car inner tube. Cut a section out, and glue the ends up.

Andy

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 08:14:11 am »

Or you could call down to the local hospital and ask for their out of date IV bags which work well and cost nothing....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 10:37:35 am »

Well good luck with trying to obtain some of those. In these litigious times, I think they're unlikely to give anything like that out, but you can try I suppose.

I'll repeat my suggestion that you build the TB4 as a dynamic diver first. I think you'll have enough challenges working out a method of drive and pitch control with this model (without cheating).

You'll need moveable thrusters at each nozzle. I think centrifugal pumps would be the answer for thrust.

Damien

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 02:53:03 am »

I know this thread is a bit long in the tooth, but while reading the thread i got a picture of a pair of Bow thrusters as a great propulsion for TB4.
Damien in Oz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.