Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amati Oseberge Viking ship shields.  (Read 3021 times)

stevep80

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Amati Oseberge Viking ship shields.
« on: February 22, 2016, 04:33:18 pm »

Hi all
I am in the process of building an Amati Oseberge Viking ship, this is my first build. When I come to painting the numerous sheilds has anyone any idea what I can use to hold these sheilds to aid in painting.

Thanks

Steve

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Amati Oseberge Viking ship shields.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 05:10:37 pm »

blu tack and a cocktail stick
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

stevep80

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:13:07 pm »

Thanks, excellent idea

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:32:12 pm »

put a small blob of blutac on the back of the shield then stick it to the cocktail stick
I have an old 35mm film canister filled with Plasticine that i use to hold the cocktail stick
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:39:38 pm »

When building the 'Billings' Oseberg Ship kit I did some research into the history and design of the actual burial ship. Experts agree that  this ship was not suitably strong enough to be a 'raiding' or warship design and therefore shields would not have been on board what is now believed to be a ship built purely as a burial ship. Similarly, the Amati kit appears to imply that a 'dragon-head' type of stem-post  was used in the Oseberg ship when the reconstructed ship in the Oslo Museum shows the ship had no such stem-post, but only an ornate 'scroll' type design.  It would seem that some suggestions on what a Viking ship should look like have overcome historical accuracy in both Billings and Amati kits?

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 06:05:56 am »

I read an article about two weeks ago that was discussing a replica built exactly to match the burial ship, it sank on trials twice. Then some bright spark pointed out that during reconstruction nearly 2 metres of the ship was left out due to rot and missing pieces. They built a new replica and it sailed well and even did some open ocean sailing.
I would love to see the original in person.

What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 10:34:10 pm »

The series 'Vikings' is excellent for a semi historical romp! While the history has been squoze and the main character is based on a semi mythical person, it has the feel of a well researched program.

I use 4inch nails as holders popped into holes drilled in a plank of wood to keep small things safe and managably stored. The flat head provides more support for figures and things that might need dry brushing etc.

Pond weed is your enemy

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 01:03:51 pm »

I read an article about two weeks ago that was discussing a replica built exactly to match the burial ship, it sank on trials twice. Then some bright spark pointed out that during reconstruction nearly 2 metres of the ship was left out due to rot and missing pieces. They built a new replica and it sailed well and even did some open ocean sailing.I would love to see the original in person.

See here for one report - a 20 second trip ended in failure!   http://www.osebergvikingskip.no/eng/documents/oseberg-viking-ship.php
This website gives a fine description of the full-scale building of the replica Oseberg ship and make a very good read under the 'Construction' link. From solid oaks to the finished ship was a marvellous and successful project.

Launch of the latest Oseberg Ship =  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG2YgNdg2XI
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.