Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touring Australia with Emirates.  (Read 2949 times)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Touring Australia with Emirates.
« on: February 25, 2016, 02:29:37 pm »

What a rip off! Or is it.

I have just seen an advertisement on the television from Emirate Airlines.

A 26 day tour of Australia for £4999.00p, per person,saving £1000 off each ticket if booked within the next month.

For a family of four close on £20,000.00p before spending money and stop offs at well known places.

I read somewhere some years ago that hire companies tout for business outside airports in Australia with self drive camper vans, and even some for sale/return in same condition less a fee.

If this is still obtainable would it not be much cheaper for a family to go down that route and to choose themselves where and when to pause for a walk about.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Touring Australia with Emirates.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 08:56:20 pm »

That seems excessively expensive, especially when you consider that the exchange rate favours international visitors.

I must say that I've never heard of hire companies touting for business outside airports, but that's not to say it doesn't happen. We travel a lot in our caravan and often encounter foreign tourists in hired camper vans, and we have done the same ourselves on two of our visits to the UK. It has been our experience when travelling overseas from Australia that it's cheaper to book everything before we leave, such as vehicle hire, accommodation etc. On our last trip back in 2008, I booked all our accommodation and the car hire on the internet and got really good deals. I assume that the same would apply to British visitors to Australia.

Peter.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:29:27 pm »

Haven't heard, or seen, any touting for business at Brisbane, both at the International, daughter has travel bug, and Domestic airports.
Daughter is travel savvy, having done 3 years in UK, including Europe whilst there, then China and the US.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:35:38 pm »

I have booked a similar holiday through a third party and flying with Emirates. Having researched the market the price is not out of the ordinary. Even Saga charge a similar price. You pays yer money...
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:10:14 pm »

A big chunk of the cost is the airfare and this can vary a lot depending on the time of year.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 11:38:29 pm »

Hi all, the airfare is £800 return at the moment and the rest less 24 hours each way flying is £160 per day, so that is food accomodation and travel plus guide per day.  It is not unreasonable really.

I am off to Oz on Monday week, Sydney here I come!  Visiting family.
regards, Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 12:39:13 am »

Well Roy...welcome to OZ again O0.....we promise good weather for your stay

As you know there are some beautiful waterways around the Central Coast...Gosford/Woy Woy?

Is your daughter in-law still with the Hospital?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 07:05:06 am »

Hello Derek thanks for the welcome.Yes my (would be ) daughter in law is still a consultant at the hospital.  She is lovely but these days young (ish) people live together happily.
I am looking forward to 37 days with them.  My son has just passed his Yacht master certificate and we both love sailing.  Trouble is my joints complain but my GP usually finds a pill or gel to compensate.
You mention the weather, I checked forecasts for the time I am there and there seemed to be rain forecast almost every day, is that what you expect?
Andrew's Apartment backs down onto Brisbane Water in from Broken Bay, just getting up in the morning and taking a cup of coffee out onto the terrace is a daily pleasure.
thanks for your comments,
kind regards Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 08:26:39 am »

Roy... I think any weather on our NSW Brisbane Water would be beaut for yachting or fishing  :-))

Does Andrew partake in the recreation of fishing?

Here is a snap of some happy fisher ...you will recognise the Brooklyn Bridge in the background...Broken Bay is a beautiful water area.....my of my best experiences was sailing on the steamer South Steyne from Circular Quay to Broken Bay...[some 45 years ago O0 ]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 09:26:29 am »

Hi Derek, you are on the Hawkebury River!  What a lovely place!  I think we might sail down to Sydney and then we moor up on the Hawkesbury as an overnight stay.  To wake up there in total silence and stillness is incredible.  Andrew is great with the barbecue and wow does it taste good there!
No, Andrew does not go fishing and I have to admit that I am against it as a sport but for eating ,well that is perhaps acceptable as long as there is no suffering.  But I do not press my views on anyone.

I used to go sailing with a friend and his son in law and we got on like family.  It was on south coast (in UK) and on the homeward trip we crossed Lyme Bay, son in law Geof would fish for mackeral ,kill and gut them and I would do the cooking.  The Captain (used to teach Yachtmaster) thought he was in heaven, then a couple of bottles of red wine between us a game of cards and bed.  We were on his Moddy 425 which gave us a room each,  all very nice.  We caught something big once not the size in your photo, but scared us s...less!

Andrew has a 34 foot yacht and I have my own space so very comfy.
When we get to Sydney I expect we will be temporary yacht club members and use their facilities and I seem to remember a nice Chinese restaurant just up the hill.

regards Roy

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 12:20:56 pm »

Hi all, the airfare is £800 return at the moment and the rest less 24 hours each way flying is £160 per day, so that is food accomodation and travel plus guide per day.  It is not unreasonable really.

I am off to Oz on Monday week, Sydney here I come!  Visiting family.
regards, Roy
  You taking a model boat with you ? %)
..well can you land on this?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 01:09:50 pm »

Hi Arrows, the mind boggles!  I have enough trouble with a suitcase and a carry on.  I shall just have to try not to think about them.  3 years ago I had an on-line Model Boats magazine to read.  Now that has been removed I shall just have to be sociable.
regards Roy

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 01:13:52 pm »

Oh well there is always the free booze to anesthetize you for the long haul, enjoy the trip.
..well can you land on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.