Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor connections  (Read 3212 times)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Motor connections
« on: February 28, 2016, 12:11:24 am »

OK, I'm replacing all the electrics in my just acquired new model of the tug Meeching. I have new ESCs and a 40MHz receiver ready to put in but I'm a bit bemused about what the original builder did with the two motors. As you can see from the photos, they're simply marked as Monoperm Super, 6V @ 3A max, but the connections are different on both motors and I'm surprised as the thinness of the wires. I'll be replacing the wires anyway with something thicker, but what about the connections. There are four on each motor, so which ones should I really be using?

And what about the red lever on the motors? Electrical 'reversing' switch?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated before I start wielding the soldering iron, thanks! :)

And yes, I've just realised that I've mislabelled the photos, mixing up port and starboard, oops!  :embarrassed:
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motor connections
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 12:23:16 am »

From memory, the pins on the ends were designed to accept a push-on housing containing suppressor capacitors. As such they were connected to the brushes. Thus it would not make any difference if the wiring was connected to the pins or direct to the brushes. Both forms of connection appear to be in use in the photos. The red switch reverses the motor direction.

Barry M

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 12:25:12 am »

Hi the second photo has wrong connections. 
The correct connections are in the first photo.

The connections on the side are for an earth connection to the metal of the motor, mainly to cure interference.

You say you are using 40 Mhtz RC.  You will need a 0.1 micro farad capacitor across the two connections where the battery / ESC connection goes for each motor.
The capacitors are very cheap quite small and only need be 25v working voltage.  They connect either way round they are not polarized.

The reversing switch has 3 positions, the centre position is off and the other positions reverse the motor direction, quite handy if you are using right and left handed propellers, if one is going the wrong way just take the switch to its other position.
These motors are 70 % efficient if using the correct prop size and should last forever, well nearly!
Look after the motors when they were last on sale they were around £50 each.
best regards, Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 12:27:02 am »

Sorry Barry do not agree.  I use these motors a lot.
regards Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:48:55 am »

HI just to clarify, the motor only needs 2 connections, the ones pointing out at the end.  The extra yellow wire connected to the side earth casing of the motor could go to the metal of the prop shaft but only if you have an all metal U/J connection.
regards Roy

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 10:06:24 am »

Thanks, that makes soldering access easier, as I don't want to take the motors out if I can avoid it, getting to the connecting U-Js is awkward.

So just to be 100% sure, I connect to the two prongs coming out from the end and wire the cap across them as well, yes? I almost certainly have some of these already in the 'bits box'.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 12:08:51 pm »

Yes, that's the way to do it!  (Sorry I used to be a Punch and Judy fan).
Roy

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 01:09:24 pm »

To clarify, Photo 2 shows two blue wire connections to the end pins which are connected to the motor terminals/brushes. It also shows a yellow connection to one brush which I would suggest is on the negative side and may be grounded on the prop shaft as an interference suppression method. Can you confirm this point?

Photo 3 shows blue and yellow wire connections to the end pins which are in turn connected to the brush gear.

My photo shows a Super Monoperm with the suppressor module which was sold separately as an option and is a slide-on fitment on the two end pins. This did away with the need for separate soldering of capacitors. The +ve and -ve supply wires are soldered to the tags on the side of the motor providing current to the brushgear as it is impossible to solder to the end pins once the module is in place.

If you do not have the suppression module, then it does not matter if you connect via the end pins or the side tags.

The red switch on the top is a reversing switch with a central neutral position.

I trust this clears it up for you - and Roy.

Barry M

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 02:39:47 pm »

For the sake of accuracy, only one blue wire in that photo is connected to a pin. The other apparent connection is in fact the loose end of the blue wire, out of focus and it just happens to be in line with the pin. It's a couple of inches away.

Anyway, thanks again for the help, I'll get cracking later this afternoon.  :-))

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 04:43:28 pm »

Hello Barry I owe you an apology.  I was under the impression that the Marx motors were similar to the generic ones from (cant think of the name but have dull red and black brush holders) which I also have and these have the side connections which are earths.
I went to check a spare monoperm and I was surprised to find that they were brush connections. I live and learn another thing!
Sorry if I have contributed to any confusion.
regards Roy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 06:18:00 pm »

I believe you are thinking of Buhler motors, Roy.

AFAIK they weren't connected. Buhler motors are better than Marx motors i think, but the advantage with Marx was that the motors were well documented, so you knew what you were buying, whereas the likes of Buhler were usually surplus buys, so you took a chance on the spec and power.

These days, lots of nice motors for sale, cheap as chips and well documented.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.