Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just saying Hello from west Wales ...  (Read 3364 times)

Brian36

• Shipmate
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Just saying Hello from west Wales ...
« on: February 28, 2016, 05:36:15 pm »

Hello!
I can't really call myself a beginner, but I'm a newbie to Model Boat Mayhem.
I got here as a result of a Google search.  I needed cringles for the sails on my current build (a static 1:16 model of the HMS Bounty Launch), so I fed in the words 'mini cringles model ship' and there you were!  I wasn't really expecting to find a shop selling them - I just wanted to find advice about making them.
So, very many thanks to 'Watchleader' (who now seems to call himself 'WasWatchleader'!) for his admirable build log for the spritsail Barge 'Lady Daphne'.  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25787.50.html   It's useful to me, not only for advice on the making of the cringles, but also because I'm hoping my next build will be a model of a Thames barge.  Back in the nineteen forties I used to sail on the Blackwater/Colne estuaries, and would often see these lovely boats with their big, brown sails, laden to the gunwales with all sorts of cargoes.

I get the impression this forum could be mainly for modelers who make real, sailing models.  I don't aspire to that, myself, but I'm sure the building principles are mainly the same.  So I'll be looking in here pretty often, and perhaps hoping to make some friends.
Brian
4½ static model ships built so far.  All from kits, except the one in my avatar.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Just saying Hello from west Wales ...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:44:30 pm »

Well welcome to what some call a madhouse.  I just think we are better wired than most people! FYI they Dail in Haverfordwest near the mcdonalds I believe.  Contact ian macafery on here as he sails there. Go sling and have a chat.....you might  get hooked on rc boats
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:14:53 pm »

Welcome to the forum Brian! There is a good mix of static and sailing modellers and we learn from each oither. There is no cliques as far as I have seen so far between the two disciplines especially as both have many very skilled modellers whittling plastic,wood and GRP to perfection.

The main thing is that everyone on here is having fun, even Klunk whose keyboard has rebelled :}
Pond weed is your enemy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:24:26 am »

The main thing is that everyone on here is having fun, even Klunk whose keyboard has rebelled :}
[/quote
Hmmmmm mmmmm I'm grumpy now!
]
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Brian36

• Shipmate
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 06:15:14 pm »

Klunk, Ballastanksian, thanks for the replies.  Even the ones that hinted at grumpiness!
(nah!  I know that was all in fun!)

I've got the 'cringles' matter sorted now, thanks in good measure to WasWatchleader (see my first post above).  Now, though, you've got me thinking more deeply about spritsail barges and pond yachts (acceptable term here?) and where I go next.
After I've finished my current build, I mean.

Anyone here heard of Traplet Publications?
For UK £113 they're advertising a set of plans for modeling a Thames Barge called Veronica.  Plus an instructional dvd and a set of laser-cut bits of wood that I assume would only deal with the basic hull, leaving the builder (ie, me) to make all the decking, masts and rigging himself.
http://gb.trapletshop.com/thames-barge-veronica-4
It's a sailing model, not a static one like the ones I've been making so far.  OK, I reckon I'm up to that, and I'm beginning to like the idea of building a model that sails instead of just sitting on the sideboard gathering dust.
I could even make the sails, been there, done that both at model level and full scale.
But I'm wondering what the final financial outlay could be.  I reckon £200 might be a sensible budget to get the model built, painted and ready for the water.
But then comes the RC bit.  I'm guessing that I'd need some sort of control over my model, unless I confine her to a tiny, shallow pond.
What does a radio control kit cost?
If that's a "how long is a piece of string" question, what does it cost to fit a model with a GOOD radio control setup?

I'm contemplating getting into seriously new territory here.  Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Oh, and how do I contact Ian Macafery?
Brian
4½ static model ships built so far.  All from kits, except the one in my avatar.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 08:11:14 pm »

They are a publisher of magazines and are a fellow company of the one that publishes Military Modeling and Model Boats etc. I assume they have their own range of plans and materials like 'My Hobby Store' do.

Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:09:27 pm »

West Wales has a Facebook page here ............

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130611523681979/

Ian runs it so there's a good start for you.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 09:35:32 am »

But I'm wondering what the final financial outlay could be.  I reckon £200 might be a sensible budget to get the model built, painted and ready for the water.
But then comes the RC bit.  I'm guessing that I'd need some sort of control over my model, unless I confine her to a tiny, shallow pond.
What does a radio control kit cost?
If that's a "how long is a piece of string" question, what does it cost to fit a model with a GOOD radio control setup?
For years I have used the rule of "£100, then add £100 for every foot of length".  This can, of course, vary enormously depending on how much you make and how much you buy in and what is needed and what type of model it is in the first place, but it is surprising how often it works out.
A workmanlike basic radio outfit can be got for a bit below £50, ignoring the short range "park flyer" types and sticking with the ones with recognizable names.  Thats the radio which will need at a minimum a servo to work the steering and a winch or ESC or both depending on the type of model.  Add bells and whistles with their extra zeros at the wrong end of the price as required.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 09:43:32 am »

'They are a publisher of magazines and are a fellow company of the one that publishes Military Modeling and Model Boats etc. I assume they have their own range of plans and materials like 'My Hobby Store' do.'

Not correct actually. Traplet are a separate company from MyTimeMedia who publish Model Boats magazine and other hobby titles. The relationship can best be described as friendly rivalry!

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.