Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 433508 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #375 on: June 08, 2017, 10:59:32 am »

OUCH!! - Went into the garden on Tuesday to do a little bit of work on the wheelhouse and as I turned my back a gust of wind deposited it on the floor - broke the upper steering position back rest and step wall off and cracked the w/h in two places - more work, but they should fix OK and it might give me an option [thinks!!........].
So, as can be seen from the photos of the actual lifeboat this is a 'tricky' little bit of build.
  • I have completed the corridor side [minus the rope locker hinged doors]......
  • I filled the rear back rest wall and two stern corners of the wheelhouse with 'glass' resin to smooth and reinforce for later attachments.
  • .....started on the upper steering position side of same, scribing round the 'triangle' with a chisel ended dentists' tool, dragging it backwards - whilst held in place with a small 'G' clamp [both highlighted in yellow boxes] - to create a gouged channel. This was then further profiled with a ball ended drill burr.
  • After each of the processes above I give a quick couple of wipes with a paint brush loaded with EMA plastic weld polystyrene cement. Do it fast and it just smooths the scratch marks. When fully dry I go over with a 400 or 800 grade wet and dry paper. Whilst talking of this product, the Revell polystyrene glue used to hold the rope locker 'back plate' in place did not seem to work, even though I had roughened the surfaces. Taking it off and cleaning the surfaces I then used 'polyweld' and it is fine!
It can be seen when this piece is offered up to the plan just how much there is a slope to the top edge of the rope locker. This and the instrument panel and the front exterior bow edge that houses the retaining 'Y' strop are the three 'tricky' builds when completing a scratch built model. But one is nearly complete and the start of the panel is not far away!
I have added a photo of some etched brass items I bought from the Dortmund Intermodellbau in April. They came from Hobby Lobby and what is shown cost less that £10 - however, I bought more than one packet of each. The two bottom packs in the middle column are the ones I plan to use on the rope locker hinge on this corridor wall, dependent on size. Their product numbers are 7-387 [smaller] and 7-388 [larger]. I will give individual bolt/screw heads to each.
C.C.

Nick1

• Full Mayhemer
Hi Kim My Latest Lifeboat
« Reply #376 on: June 11, 2017, 09:53:16 pm »

Hi Kim
I thought I would show you my latest Lifeboat  ok2 . Yes, I bet you didn't expect that.
It's a 5" gauge loco. It is made out of metal and with both tenders it stands at 9 foot long.
It is driven by 2 powerful electric motors and she will happily pull 10 people all day long.
All the best.
Keep the photo's coming of your Shannon, it looks fantastic
Nick

Nick1

• Full Mayhemer
My latest Lifeboat
« Reply #377 on: June 11, 2017, 09:57:34 pm »

It might help if I sent the photo

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #378 on: June 12, 2017, 10:04:51 am »

Nick,
It was good to see you again last Saturday, at the Shepway Military Modelling Show, and talk lifeboats. I have to say that 'new lifeboat' is some size of model - larger that a 1/12th Severn class by some three and a half feet or so and heavier - can't tuck that under your arm!! Very nice build by the engineer though - nice variatioin and change of 'modelling scene'. See you again soon regarding the 1/12th windows.
Just to explain to others reading this. Nick and I met many years ago over the Arun class 1/12th model lifeboat and he had added to his collection. However, he was recently offered this large model locomotive and to fund it - sold his lifeboat collection!! I just hope God will forgive you - remembering his Son did go out in a boat quite often and on one occasion had to 'take matters into his own hands' when there was no lifeboat around in a storm!!
Nick, thanks for sharing it with the photo.
KIm [C.C.]

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #379 on: June 15, 2017, 11:46:31 am »

In the periods of time available progress has been slow, BUT enjoyable and satisfying. As mentioned before, this is an awkward bit of scratch building as all must 'marry up' when looked at from various angles and positions and will certainly show when the small detail of telecomms tower, railings, door, engine room vents, speakers and deck lighting are added. So it is well worth spending the time to get it right at this point. I have used the RNLI plans and some of my photos [now some 2,000+] to help with this, but even so I am 2mm out at the very stern edge on the actual wheelhouse height! I think this error was made by me when I profiled the bottom edge of the wheelhouse to get it to fit and sit on the deck. Two things to remember here, if you have done what I have done -
  • Make sure the hull is put in the right position to be in its 'parallel' position with the ground and then that the roof of the wheelhouse is parallel to the ground also - all measurements taken from the plans.
  • If any small error/difference is made/found make sure you mark it onto your plans for later help and reference. I am going to lose this 2mm below the floor level of the upper steering position. Reason why? There is less going on in detail of these areas around the stern and the sides, whereas the upper steering position and its complex angled instrument array needs to be correct, as do the two strut arms for the telecomms tower.
So what the photos below show are:
  • Width lines across the wheelhouse rear bulkhead [wall] and the stern of the upper steering position and corridor. Set square in both vertical and horizontal planes used. This shows the 'indentation' on the corridor wall at the floor level of the rope locker.
  • screw holes have been drilled and tapped - 1.6mm countersunk from Knupfer in Germany - black steel used inside and stainless steel on the stern facing surface, which when filled will hopefully not rust!
  • The broken GRP section was Gorilla glued, but unfortunately was not strong ehnough and 'failed' when held up. Better for it to happen now than when sprayed! I therefore set about making the same piece in styrene and laminated two pieces of 2.5mm thickness together.
  • I also profiled the top of the rope locker/corridor wall to the correct height and shape and then finished off with Deluxe Materials 'Perfect Plastic Putty' - having run out of my tried and tested Humrol filler. It was slightly more powdery than I like, so I gave it a couple of top coats of Mr. Hobby 'Mr. Surfacer 500', which penetrated the surface and formed a nice solid surface to wet and dry paper smooth.
  • I used EMA's Plastic Weld for the styrene lamination and all other gluing in this area of the build. It also glues Butyrate, ABS, Acrylic [Lucite and Plexiglas] as well as Perpex. Where Revell polystyrene cement has failed, this has redeemed the situation with 'flying colours'.
  • The backrest/telecomms tower slides wall did not sit well against the corridor wall at first and it took a few long seconds for me to realise I had not left an indentation for the wheelhouse backstop which I had fitted to the deck, to stop it sliding. Once cut out - all was well.
  • After this I drew the line for the top of the upper steering position floor around the internal wall surfaces and at this point realised my second mistake, I had not modelled the bottom level of the corridor handle intrusion [which comes through into the U/S position] low enough. So another piece of styrene 2.5mm was added and profiled - job done!
  • I then angled in the top area sides of the back rest/telecomms slides wall. The Starboard side was no problem, but the corridor wall 'fouls' if this is done and the plans just do not give enough detail. I have looked at my photos and again I am not 100% sure. So, I will look on my next visit. For the time being I have angled it from the top of the corridor wall. It can always be lowered at a later point, but this will give a sloping facet to this wall at the top corner - hmmmmmm.
  • With the floor and all wall 'dry fitted' I noticed the section of floor that fits into the gap where the gate goes needs profiling to a raduised 45 degree curve. This will be done when I finally glue the whole unit together. However I did add a styrene piece below to give the correct depth - however, remember to angle this to the slop of the stern wall. I did not [and used engineers' parallels to get a nice 45 degree angle. When I offered it up this morning it looked wrong and was! So I gently bent it to the correct angle.
Well, although long, I hope this write-up might be of help to some who are actually building this area for themselves too. I have included some of the products I use [including my own personal preferences - which might not agree with other folks conclusions] to help with those modellers new to this area and the materials being used.
The photos will follow in three Posts - I think they are self-explanatory with what appears above.

Of for a deserved lunch now and I am looking forward to a visit to 17-09's boatyard on the cliffs of Dover tomorrow! I am hoping his wife has made those wonderful cheese pastries I sampled last visit!! Hint, Hint.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #380 on: June 15, 2017, 11:54:23 am »

Second batch [just like those Cheese pasties!].
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #381 on: June 15, 2017, 12:01:10 pm »

Final batch [I can smell those Cheese pastries from here in Canterbury!  :D Cheesy Emogin!!]  %) .
C.C.

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #382 on: June 17, 2017, 12:36:46 am »

Hi Kim was down the Lifeboat Station today and took a picture of the top left of the mast support wall [enclosed picture] the angle started 330 mm down from the top and the angle was 12 mm in at the top. Hope this helps in keeping up the good work.

John

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #383 on: June 17, 2017, 11:42:38 am »

John, many thanks you are a 'diamond'!!
That means on our 1/12th scale boats the inclination inwards is 1mm. What you have said - 330mm down from the top - divided by 12 equates to 27.5mm on our models and that is what is on the plans. That I have put on the Starboard side, but if I do the same on the Port side it will 'eat' into the top of the corridor wall and angle it over. Your photo and mine do not indicate that angle continued along the flat face of the wall at the top, neither do the RNLI plans - unless I have missed something. Do you see what I mean? It's not essential at this exact moment, but would be good to progress with confidence. I have just taken two photos to illustrate off my model. What did you do?
I am grateful for your thoughts, time and help - I say it again, it's what this wonderful Forum is all about, helping each other progress and enjoy our hobby. Martin and his Team provide us with a wonderful 'tool', I just hope he can afford a new [subdued] casual shirt for the 'Warwick' Show in November!
Again, many thanks.
Kim

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #384 on: June 18, 2017, 12:14:58 am »

Hi Kim I am not sure what you mean I enclose a photo from a different angle. Can you do a rough drawing of what you mean. I enclose a picture of a new item I have found in the cockpit don't know if its now standard.

John

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #385 on: June 18, 2017, 01:04:30 am »

Guys...that is an interesting dual scale display, however I don't really understand it's low value scale use [+/- 5 degrees]  in a gently or ferociously constantly rocking small vessel :o

I am sure there is something obvious that I have missed........and have assumed it is for athwart motion

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #386 on: June 18, 2017, 07:26:10 am »

Not +/- , but 5 Degs Port & Stbd
The lower clinometer scale is in 5 Deg increments.
Could be the 5 degs in each?
I stand to be corrected though.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #387 on: June 18, 2017, 08:34:38 am »

Guys, just Google Silva,

From their website.....

For angles up to ± 5°, read the top precise scale, for angles over ± 5°, use the lower scale for readings up to ±35°.

"Simples"   

17-09

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #388 on: June 18, 2017, 04:26:33 pm »

John, you are a gent.
Many thanks for the photo, it has confirmed what I had seen in two of my photos - but I thought it might be a reflection. As you can see I have indicated two arrows and the line between gives the area above [on the corridor wall] which on the plans appears to be a consistent angle and at 90 degrees to the deck floor. However, it looks like the 330mm down is the starting point on the Port side as that area is angled and the edge radius is larger below and then 'tapers' over a short distance to a tighter radius - nice to get it right! I have now added this to my model and it looks OK. It can always be altered.
I also observed a few little interesting bits that differ from 13-02. You have mentioned this, I think in the past, your boat's photos being of which one? I will come to this later, when I have updated my build 'thread', either later today or tomorrow.
Great to have your help and input - being the originator [grandfather -meant in a very good way] of the Shannon 1/12th model!
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #389 on: June 18, 2017, 05:57:47 pm »

Got some work done yesterday. Needed to get the rear [stern] wall / bulkhead of the wheelhouse in and fixed so that it is upright and solid. This will then allow for the build of the engine room vent on the Port side with the fire-hose reel + axe locker above and likewise the Starboard engine room vent box ingress into the upper steering position. Then the infill to the area immediately behind the screen and its gully can be formed and finally the complexly angled and spaced instrument panel and helm postion.
So I:
  • cut two pieces of 'L' section aluminium and then milled out two slots in each of one side - these were 3/32nd of an inch to allow the stainless steel 2mm cap head hex screws to pass through.
  • I then tapped the 2mm thread into each compatible hole in the 'bulkhead', but they did not hold up so I used stainless steel nuts on the other side - they will be enclosed when all is made.
  • when all was fixed in place and the side sections allowed to take up their positions within the slots, I superglued [CNA] the sides into position, making sure the whole construction could still be taken apart. All worked and it does still come back into its component parts. This will allow possible casts of the pieces to be made in the future and also enable some initial paint to be sprayed into awkward corners.
I am pleased with the result. I also used the time to get some small cosmetic pieces of styrene cut, fitted and sanded where it was needed. The 'eagle eyed' can see where! The next step will be to resin and glass tape them solidly [I do not like superglue!] into position - belt and braces job.

C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #390 on: June 18, 2017, 08:49:50 pm »

Last Friday was a welcome break from the normal Shannon build and other matters of every day life when I visited 17-09.
I was allowed to look at the scratch building work he has been doing on his Severn and given permisiion to photograph it and put on here, where I hope it will show what can be done with a little patience. Now, before you say it, I hope this will be an encouragement - remember we each build to our own standard and at our own speed in a hobby [thanks to Phil Warren for that quote, which I often use] - anything else is a chore. Please note the weld line on the portable cannister for the salvage pump. The two beige speakers [wheelhouse nose and wheelhouse stern] and the orange flying bridge speaker are well worthy of note, each hand turned on his large lathe. The instruments - including the stern trim plane panel with its three indicators - are great, both airbrushed and hand painted. The emergency hand steering [block and tackle] tiller is totally scratch too, including the ties and when fitted will be 'lost' in the stern wheelhouse open alcove - but as 17-09 says 'I know it is there'. Quite a few of the metal colours are from Alclad. And lastly that axe - the handle he carved and fettled from a small piece of wood - saved having to paint it! Thought I would include, as whichever lifeboat we are making there are plenty of these items to be made, bought or blagged.
As they say across 'the pond' - enjoy. UGH!!
C.C.

PS - yes, for those wondering I did get some wonderful cheese pastries AND sausage rolls for lunch, all made by Mrs. 17-09.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #391 on: June 19, 2017, 04:59:51 pm »

Alan Poole, I salute you!, love your chopper.

Len.

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #392 on: June 20, 2017, 07:13:07 am »

Those parts really look fantastic! Please ask 17-09 how he made the weld line on the cannister, it looks absolutely stunning. The axe looks the part as well. A real inspiration for me :-))

Regards
Arno

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #393 on: June 20, 2017, 02:30:02 pm »

Hello Arno,
 I don't usually give my secrets away but seeing as it is you.....
The welds are simply made with white wood glue (PVA) applied with a toothpick, the technique is widely used on model aircraft, tanks and ships.
Apply a small amount and work along the line, adding more as you go, the slightly uneven application represents a weld very well, if you don't like the result, wash it off with water and do it again. When dry, spray u/coat then top coats of colour.
When you visit our lighthouse again, drop in and see for yourself......
 Big Ada is now my favourite MBA member ....
17-09

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #394 on: June 21, 2017, 07:34:24 am »

Thank you so much for sharing! I never would have had that idea for myself. The result is simply perfect. Regarding a visit I will send a PM in due course.
Arno

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #395 on: June 27, 2017, 03:39:17 pm »

The last week has been busy with three rehearsals for a Concert in the Cathedral last Saturday evening - Vaughan Williams' 'A Sea Symphony', a real choral fanfare, dealing with A Song for All Seas, All Ships - On the Beach at Night Alone - The Waves - The Explorers, Those that have survived and Those that have Gone Down. Hard work and extremely loud with 'gusto' throughout. This was after the 70 piece orchestra had played Elgar's 'Enigma Variations'. It was good to see some of my good friends with a marine background in the audience during the interval - their reciprocal support is appreciated.
During this time I have been able to build from styrene sheet the Starboard and Port engine ventilation boxes, which will have their exit vents added later. Also the little hatch box that sits above the Port one, this housing the fire hose and a small hatchet. Some shots show the styrene 'baton' I have added to act as a 'backstop' guide when fitting into position. Notice how many times I am using the stainless steel set squares to check that all is in alignment and square - we are getting near to the point of making the instrument panel array in the upper steering position and that will impact if not correct!
You will see my use of PostIt notes, but they are also helpful to measure off small distances within these confines where a ruler cannot reach - then measure the distance afterwards. Some photos show the initial construction with a coarse finish. This has then been made smoother and also some contours and radii added later, with an infill of body putty too. All of these are just 'dry fitted' for the time being. Later they will be fixed in place with the 45 degree under-sides of the top rails added, this being the reason that there is a small gap in the odd place. Next will be the step up to the upper steering position and the helicopter strop locker and below that the life-raft cannister void. It is worth noting that there is a very small slope to the top surfaces, allowing water to drain off - hardly noticeable here.
Again the photos will follow in three batches.
C.C.

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #396 on: June 28, 2017, 08:35:34 am »

Hi Kim
That's coming on a treat , still working in grey I see  :}

regards

Derek

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #397 on: June 28, 2017, 10:17:52 am »

Thanks Derek - slow, but sure - grey is the colour of the day!!
Regarding the last Post above, apologies - two photos were out of sequence. Also, when I went to send the next batch of photos the 'MbM Server was down'!! And was for a while after that, so never got a moment to send what was promised. Here they come.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #398 on: June 28, 2017, 10:29:46 am »

For those wondering, the 'grey' look to the inside of the corridor wall on the Port side here is where I have made an initial 'Dremel' job to flatten the glass fibre moulding so that the box could sit flat. I will make the final sand later when I know what will be exposed and need to be a smooth surface.
The last two photos show that the stern face of the rear wheelhouse wall is 34mm on both sides to the rear edge [exposed] shown. With this I am pleased, the careful approach seems to have paid off and all is square - thanks to Models by Design! However, one could always use the odd washer when fitting this wall with the method I have used, to moved the wall in a number of required directions. It will all finally be glued together and then 'glassed' into position.
Final batch of photos attached. I hope to be back in the workshop this afternoon.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #399 on: June 28, 2017, 08:54:51 pm »

It was good to get a visit from Nick1 just before lunch on another related lifeboat matter - I was in the workshop at the time.
Straight after lunch I got back into the workshop and can't believe that in three and a half hours what was achieved follows, it shows just how long it takes to get little things right. But again it was enjoyable and that's what matters.
I added a couple of 'fillets' of styrene to a few edges and bases to make items more accurate. I then decided to:
  • drill the corner holes - to give a radius to work with - on both the Port side engine room ventilation grill and the fire-hose and hatchet cupboard door panel.
  • I then used a craft knife on the former to cut the four lines to enable the centre to be removed.......
  • .....and a circular saw on the Dremel to do the same on the latter.
  • With the use of a large file [here a trusty Bahco one from Portugal - it has keen teeth that cut beautifully and always 'wants' to run true, it's a pleasure to use] I finished the straight edges to my drawn lines and then with a cylindrical file blended the corners into these straight edges.
  • A little fettling saw the top locker fit better and I also used my Proxxon Delta sander to flatten the corridor wall on the Port side.
  • I also started to put a radius on the top locker edge - tomorrow will see the back-plate made [gives an edge to stop the door going through and then the door too.
Gradually coming together. I am writing and illustrating in detail to hopefully help some of the others building the same model [that I know about] - it being their first attempt at a boat.
C.C.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.