Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 433501 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #500 on: November 11, 2017, 09:52:08 pm »

Sorry Len [Big Ada],
I opened the lid to take a photo and the 'gannets' on the LBES Team and from the King Lear MBC swooped ...........and it was gone - ALL twenty four slices!!!!! That Martin Kinghoward has a lot to answer for! I wouldn't have minded [he gave me the cake], but he kept a bigger cake for the 'judges' and his Team [KLMBC] won the Best Stand in Show - again, next year I might have to take a Christmas hamper up with me!! >:-o <:(
See you soon,
Kim

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #501 on: November 12, 2017, 08:55:14 am »

If a lovely cake will raise your chances to win the prize, maybe Anke should do one for you (she is really good in bakery!) and we will turn up next year {-)

Thank you so much for sharing, it makes me feeling a bit part of the joy you obviously have :-))

Arno

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #502 on: November 13, 2017, 08:03:34 am »

CAKE,have I missed something here,I did not see any CHOCOLATE & CARROT cake,it was "Steamboat Phil" who kept nicking the cake,but the judges did like the cake Ha! Ha!

Baloo

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #503 on: November 13, 2017, 03:58:16 pm »

Whilst walking around the Warwick IMBS yesterday [trying to burn off some of the calories consumed when eating chocolate gateaux, ginger cake and then evening curries at Mem Saab in Leamington] I had my attention drawn by Lee Dickinson [LBES and Southern Model Display Team member] to the launch of the new cast brass impellers by Simon and Daniel Higgins of Protean Design [formerly PropShop]. They are specifically made as an upgrade for the Kehrer Modellbau [KMB] Jet28 water-jet, as used on my Models by Design Shannon class lifeboat here!
They come as:
  • an immediate replacement stainless steel shaft,
  • threaded one end and with the impeller already fitted and 'Loctite glued' into place [the directional spin would only continue to lock them onto the shaft, so no problem of them spinning off!]
  • the other end will have a 'flat' milled on it to take the grub screw on the shaft / motor connector.
  • All that will be required is for you to release the grub screw on current set-up, withdraw the shaft 'as is'...........
  • take off the three washer and KEEP THEM IN THE SAME ORDER somewhere safe to hand [these are not supplied by Protean Design] and also the nylon / PTF washer that sits against the shaft connector.
  • Take the 'upgrade' shaft and impeller, put the washers back on this in the correct order + any lubrication grease you normally would use, and then slide back into the vacant space left by the original shaft.
  • Tighten the grub screw on the shaft connection and 'hey presto' beautiful perfection and hopefully a further bit of power in you water-jet for the same electrical input and the same number of revolutions per minute.
  • Each unit is individually balanced and polished.
These have three 'helical' blades, rather than two, on a thinner central hub - giving more blade surface area. They have not been proven yet, however, I have never had or heard of anything coming out of the 'Higgin's Workshop' as not working or not being 'fit for purpose'.
They will sell for £20 each and mine have been ordered and paid for!! Then, when shown to others a small queue formed to order theirs! Simon says that with his order book filling, expect to wait around a fortnight for delivery. I could only find their site / contact on FaceBook [as a Guest].

Put them on your Christmas Present list and send off to Santa!
Please let have feedback here if you fit them on a working version, so we can know the effect they have.

I will Post a few photos from the Lifeboat side of the Show late tonight.
C.C.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #504 on: November 13, 2017, 07:30:40 pm »

Hi Kim,
You and all of the other Lifeboat boys certainly put on a good show once again. Andy's Shannon looked the business on the water. I have uploaded a few Videos of the pool action here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U02YHX4Wsw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4OzJV9deTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4AIKZOSAdk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgOQcjMI0bs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEOm8_tvJY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42bJZOQ5i7I

Charlie

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #505 on: November 14, 2017, 12:13:45 am »

Hi, Kim,
Do you know if Simon will be doing the impellers right and left handed ? As I'm having power torqued issues with my Shannon.

I've been trying to use the trim tabs to reduce this affect, with some success. However this is also has an second issue. In that when the tabs are fitted as on the actual Shannon. The KMB revseing buckets thrust is being pushed aft by the trim tabs, not forward.

I,ve also fitted modified reversing buckets, but these are still not working as they should. {:-{
Regards David

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #506 on: November 14, 2017, 01:37:46 am »

Charlie, you really have done the Show, the LBES 'boys and girls' - along with Steve and David from the Phoenix Marine MC - proud with these great video clips. Many thanks. It was good to see you again [and also Martin, our illustrious MBM guru in his electric blue Hawaiian shirt in the bottom video!!]. You have also saved me some time, as I was about to edit down to 299kb some photos of the 'LBES' on the pool, but I only need to do a few of our stand now.
I should think Andy [MbD] will be well pleased that you have shown his Shannon [with semi-scratch build detailing by Chris Scott - Mr. Plastic Fantastic] and allowed others out there to see its manoeuvrability in a tight situation, using KMB [Kehrer Modellbau] Jet28 water-jets fitted with the Calzoni Riva reversing nozzles here. That said, the boat would look 'finished off' if it had a good lifeboat-man figure in the upper steering position - now, I wonder who could supply him with one of those??!! DK Figures? It would save on the postage!!
Dave [T888] I'll answer your questions as best as I can:
  • I doubt if Simon will as it is not actually required in normal circumstances and these little beauties would cost a bit to create in the first place. However, seeing as Andy has got his going extremely well, maybe give him a 'phone call or drop him an email.
  • Regarding the 'trim tab' issue, thanks for sharing that as we can all be aware of it and hopefully get a solution. My initial thought is to get the 'tunnel length', as on the Andy's model in the videos above, using the Calzoni Riva set-up and then pivot the reversing bucket further away from the transom - and hence the trim planes. It will be interesting to see what happens. Please keep us updated.
Finally here, Mk1 [John], we did mention you at the Show as being the first with a Shannon and that they were totally scratch built - you were not forgotten. Which brings me to the point of the commentary on those videos Charlie - who is droning on there!!??
Kim [C.C.]

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #507 on: November 14, 2017, 02:22:48 am »

Here we are, a few shots of the 'teams' boats:
  • starting at one corner with my Shannon display and photos [note I put the rubber fender on with Gorilla double-sided as a temporary measure] and my RNLI helmet, with some stanchions of mine off the Arun class RNLB Edith Emilie further along,
  • then a few boats by John Sanders
  • the 'pulling' boat up on the stand is by John Owen [or was it Rob Smith?], with a figure by me and the Sea King helicopter scratch built by Rob Smith
  • John Owen's Atlantic '21 with actual working outboards [scratch built by him and with proper geared drives]
  • the Tyne is scratch built by Alan Turner
  • then Rob's scratch built Severn class
  • next is John Owen's scratch built Arun class
  • with the next being Jeff Carter's Trent class
  • up on the stand Alan Poole's scratch built award winning Brede class with the correctly painted number extended onto the boat hook and no RNLI insignia flags on the hull's bow - as per the actual boat [photographic evidence seen by me!!]. Also his lovely little RC converted 1/72nd scale Airfix Severn class.
  • Alan Turner's 1/16th scale Tamar,
  • alongside that, Mick Astle's scratch built [in build, but not grey!] Tamar and his smaller scale Trent class
  • then Baloo's [Martin's] 'Duke of Cumberland'
  • and the lovely static model of Dungeness's 41' Beach [Aldeburgh] class, built by John Sanders and now owned by me.
  • Finally, the superb 1/12th Solent class owned by Lesley Dexter and built by her late father, alongside her partner's 'Impact' Severn class.
I think I have most of that right, there were a few other loaned, but I do not know the detail.
Along with RNLI videos being played on screen all day we got 3rd Best Society / Club stand in Show. Our thanks to John Owen for organising us all.
Kim

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #508 on: November 14, 2017, 02:34:33 am »

Thanks, Kim,
As you may already know, I,m good friends with Andy and we have spoken about this many times.

Also my Shannon is based one of Johns Hulls. (MK1)

I've been giving Andy feed back on my set up and issues, so he would not make the same mistakes.

For info, at first I used the KMB KiMeWa units, these worked well but, I had to move the Trim Tabs to outside of the jets. Which was not correct per the actual Shannon.

Currently I have the same out let nozzle as Andy, but I've got my own 3D printed version similar to the Graupner mini Jet buckets. Which has seem to have improved the reversing issue, but I'm still making adjustments to them so I can get them working as close to actual.

Regards David

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #509 on: November 14, 2017, 02:44:38 pm »

Charlie, many thanks for the videos. When I watched them I was left speechless.... so many beautiful lifeboats together in the pool! And and a nice presentation as well ...very impressive!

Kim, the brass impellers look promising. I think I would like to place an order but can not get to the FaceBook site of protean props as I am not a member. Do you have an email-adress from them? I am posting the request on the forum as it might be of interest for other users as well.

Once again thank you for sharing that nice weekend at the show with us!!!! :-)) :-)) :-))

Regards

Arno

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #510 on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:20 am »

Hi

Try this
Simon Higgins (Prop’s ex Prop Shop)
 Proteus Design

simonhiggins181@btinternet.com
Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #511 on: November 15, 2017, 10:04:12 am »

Thank you, Fred :-)) I have sent him an email.

Regards

Arno

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #512 on: November 16, 2017, 10:31:59 am »

Firstly, a correction and an apology to Martin [Baloo]. His boat on our stand was the 'Duke of Northumberland' [ON231] and not 'Cumberland' - that's a pub in Barham [Kent] I frequent occasionally.
Dave - I had a long talk with Andy [MbD] yesterday and he has been in touch with Simon and Daniel regarding making a 'handed' set of impellers. However, I then got in touch with Dungeness [RNLI] and they told me that both engines and impellers turn in the same direction and the water jet propulsion created then 'hits' the stator which turns it into a non-biased thrust. He said their stator is nine bladed and fixed into position and is like a reversed impeller. After that the water jet exits through the nozzle that is visible in some of my photos. Our model KMB stator is just four 'cross-haired' blades. Hope this edifies - maybe someone can update us when and if they get the 'opposing' impeller and have fitted it to their Shannon water-jet. He also said that he sold out of Shannons and took quite a few orders at the Show and a few more since his return home, so their ought to be a few on the water next Spring!!
Arno [Swiftdoc] - I only went onto Facebook as a 'guest' to get my details for the implellers, but thanks to Fred we now have the detail. I will email you separately, later today.
Kim

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #513 on: November 16, 2017, 11:27:18 am »

Hi Swiftdoc

update on contact info,
Address 21,Victoria Cottages, Shipston Road, Stratford Upon Avon, CV37 7LN
Phone No 01789 565228  Mobile 07977193759
Web www.propman.uk.com

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #514 on: November 16, 2017, 10:05:58 pm »

Gradually catching up with life and jobs, since getting back from the IMBS. Whilst there I overheard a conversation Adrian Clutterbuck was having on our LBES stand, so I asked for a copy of the actual details, which arrived yesterday. It's not what we want to hear [at the moment], but at least you will now know the official line regarding the Shannon and other classes of lifeboat plans for use in modelling from the RNLI. Please pass it on at Club Meetings, as I and a few others spend many hours dealing with queries on this subject by email, PMs, telephone calls and chatting at Shows.
Sorry, but however the email from Adrian has been put together will not allow it to copy. I'll type it up later.
C.C.

alan44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #515 on: November 16, 2017, 11:19:52 pm »

Hi Kim
re: your problem with the email. I have had the same issue and found that forwarding the email to yourself then allows the email to be copied or printed. Hope this is of some help.

kind regards
Alan

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #516 on: November 17, 2017, 09:24:30 am »

Alan, thanks for your suggestion and help - here goes!

Well, that has worked Alan. Something else learnt and you have saved me some time - thanks.Kim

P.S. When I pressed the button it went to 'gobble de gook'. Oh well, worth a try.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #517 on: November 17, 2017, 09:47:45 am »

Alan, I tried and it did not seem to want to do as it was told, but thanks for helping.
Here is the main text from Adrian Clutterbuck, folks.

'Hi Kim,
Great to see you at the weekend. As promised please find below an official RNLI statement re RNLI Model Boat Plans:-
"Lifeboat Plans.
Lifeboat Plans for modellers were available through the RNLI Online Retail Sales at Poole H.Q. The RNLI have ceased the online sales early in 2017. The RNLI HQ have stated plans will be available when they restart
their online Retail Sales in 2018. No date is given or available. Please note the LBES does not hold any lifeboat plans. The LBES also does not have any access to plans held at RNLI Poole Retail Sales."
Best regards,
Adrian
National Model Advisor for the RNLI/Lifeboat Enthusiasts' Society [LBES]'

And there we have it. That is going to continue to put a 'damper' on many a New Year Project, as well as delay further those already being patient from this year!
Kim [C.C.]

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #518 on: November 17, 2017, 11:46:10 am »

ohhh, poor Mick, who's just bought his two Shannon's to go to Canada.............what ARE  the RNLI  thinking of................they know there's a big market these days for their plans..................another decision from on high that's not been thought about perhaps.

and lets face it, in comparison, lifeboat modellers do bring in money to RNLI funds with their support and shows they attend and collect at.......it's a shabby way to treat supporters. Do they have an intelligent explanation for this lunacy.

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #519 on: November 17, 2017, 02:42:53 pm »

Poor Mick in Canada can rest easy as I have drawn up plans for the Shannon for use with my kit. I drew them up ages ago. They are GA's not  plans like the RNLI's with all the sections and stuff, just to show where all the parts go.
I see Models by Design has produced a resin cast insert for the bridge..................the best form of flattery so they say. Now my full kit is out I wonder whats next? Windows?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #520 on: November 17, 2017, 03:13:43 pm »

marvellous news Adrian.

I will let him know straight away. sadly he emailed me at 05.25 this morning to say he has had another fall. he falls regularly, and isn't well.

Could I just ask those guys on here who know and have chatted with Mick, aka IRISHCARGUY, say a few prayers for him for a solid return to good health..........he is one of the nicest and most sincere guys I have ever met.............god knows why he chose me as a friend..

but good luck and best wishes to you Mick if you read this.
hopefully we'll have your kits to you very soon.

neil.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #521 on: November 17, 2017, 04:18:17 pm »

Neil - I have just sent a package off to Mick and a Christmas card, so hope that might cheer him a little. Regarding the 'plans', I think it was an out-sourcing type of thing, and as with most Companies and Councils, it usually pays to keep things 'in house' in the end, for both service and quality.
Adrian - regarding the upper steering position resin cast unit, that was made two years ago by Andy, but in glass fibre. When I produced mine [which true to form was months longer than Andy thought he would get it from me] he decided to use that instead. As for the windows, remember he has had the frames made from the resin with the acetate window insert since his model came out some eighteen months or so ago - you should know as you have photographed them, I believe.
Well, off to give my illustrated talk tonight on the 'Launch and Recovery of the Dungeness Shannon Class lifeboat' to a Gardening Club down in Kent. They said it would make a change from pruning, manure and vegetables ............although there just might be a little bull s..t!!
Kim

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #522 on: November 17, 2017, 07:12:29 pm »

thanks kim,

yes he mentioned to me a few days ago that he had ordered something from you...........that'll cheer him up a little and bring warmth to his heart........doubt it'll bring warmth anywhere else though as the other day it was thick snow and -30c out where he lives.........gawd, I couldn't exist in those temps, lol.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #523 on: November 23, 2017, 10:21:52 am »

Before going off to the IMBS I did do a little work on the two main whip aerials to try and get them completed  - I partially succeeded and, therefore, partially failed! The aerials were OK, it was the two wheelhouse roof supports that were the problem. Here the white plastic extrusion being used would not glue properly. One broke up in the workshop before I left, the other broke whilst setting up at the Show. I had to 'jury rig' the Port side one to 'show it off'. I will proceed to try some methods suggested by Jerome of SHG Models when I have finished my 'year end accounts' for the accountant [who is pressing me!!] and get back to the workshop to continue with my models. However, I have decided to use the pieces as templates and make them in brass, as I want them to have a working mechanism and this will stand up to the continual handling better. In the meantime the last of the photos taken a couple of weeks ago.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #524 on: December 13, 2017, 04:33:33 pm »

After a few weeks away from MBM Forum I am now sitting in my workshop with a large '14-02' mug [courtesy of 17-09] of Kenyan Broken Orange Pekoe leaf tea at my right hand, knowing that my Company's A/Cs are now complete and with my accountant [hopefully a tax rebate will be on its way in the New Year!], some family duties have been performed [ongoing] and rehearsals for two Concerts in the next few weeks are progressing well. That means I will be back into some modelling!
Whilst at 'Warwick' many folk came up and were impressed with the 'rubber' [soft cast resin] fenders around the deck edge. This was the reason I attached them with Gorilla waterproof tape. It was a temporary measure, but I also wanted to 'test' their claim that they would grip anything! Well, the first thing that must be borne in mind is that the thickness of the tape is around 1.5mm. This therefore 'steps' the fender off the edge of the deck, so would not be a perfect solution for the final fix to the deck and hull edge. Also, I found that even with lightly roughening the surfaces [800 wet & dry] and then wiping with nail varnish remover [acetone] some of the fenders came away after  few hours or couple of days. You can see this in a couple of the sections. I also treated the inside surfaces of the fender the same as the deck and hull sides. However, it allowed me to cut and trim the lengths to size and see how they fitted - I was well impressed! It also allowed me to see where the individual 'spacers' will go [as on the real vessels] - these being fixed to the hull sides at 90 degrees and then filled in with black silicone. That will be at a much later stage. I hope this helps with anyone considering a way forward with their fenders. I shall probably be fixing these with another glue that is on its very way to me at this moment - something I saw for the very first time last Saturday whilst at my Faversham Military Modelling Group!
Finally, I took my 1/35th scale model [just started and in build - but not grey!] of the Scimitar tank to this group and all they wanted to look at was the various tools I had in my [plastic kit only] tool box! Many notes were made and I think Santa's list is now even bigger! You can see one set of new blades I have here, but I have not put them to the test yet.
More will follow over the next few weeks, depending on the mood I'm in. It could be the aerial brackets in brass for the top of the wheelhouse, or the pulpit railings, some more wheelhouse door detail, maybe a stanchion or even the two bollards [bow and stern] and their floor plates in aluminium - that's the choice at this stage when semi-scratch building! It's good to be back.
C.C.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.