Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 433499 times)

MOXCY

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #550 on: January 04, 2018, 08:47:56 pm »

Iam new on the forum and have only just joined and found this blog earlier and had a quick look at it and now ive had a proper good look at it iam blown away by your build and the detail that has gone in to the build it’s amazing and it will be really helpful to me when i get my MBD Shannon next week 👍

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #551 on: January 05, 2018, 03:33:51 pm »

Dave - I've put the slots in both the upright pillar and the base to give more purchase and solidity, although the main upright pillar is held through the deck [and with a load spreading plate on the underside too] with a cap head bolt. These will all be glued together with Gorilla Original, JB Steel Weld and Araldite to give the finished product, which will also have the weld lines in the correct places.
I'm just about to mill the stern facing web and then the two Sea-Catch plates on the front surface.
Cheers,
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #552 on: January 05, 2018, 04:05:27 pm »

MOXCY, welcome to the MBM Forum and long may you continue to visit it!
Many thanks for your words of encouragement - they go along with many more, from folk like you, that make it all worthwhile. I have my own style, which most seem to like, and it's there in detail to enable you to see what things are and how they might be made or manufactured. Which tools I'm using [or in some instances not using], mistakes that have been made [so they are not done twice!], modifications that can be made [or not] and allow another perspective on thought processes. It's also there for a handful of modellers [mainly men], who have admitted that they are long past the building stage in life [having already built and sailed many boats], but enjoy reading what I am up to in life generally - a sort of morning coffee read and chat! I'm more than happy to be there for these folk too, as one day [now well into my 71st year] I will be there also!
Can I encourage you to also look at T33cno's Speedline Shannon build thread [if you have not already] as you might see things there that reflect on what you are doing with your MbD Shannon. Likewise, processes, tools, glues and paints. It's superbly documented and photographed. I'm sure there will be others [I've heard they are on FaceBook too, but I don't do that!].
Well, do ask away either openly [or via a PM] - there's never such a thing as a 'silly question' - if you knew the answer you would not be asking. We all are constantly learning and sometimes I've found that when a question is asked or answered I think 'why didn't I think of that!!
Enjoy your MbD Shannon - do feel free to post the odd photo of progress on here or even make your own build 'thread'.
Regards from the 'Lifeboat' Section,
Kim [C.C.]

MOXCY

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #553 on: January 05, 2018, 04:28:11 pm »

Thanks for the reply Canterbury Coxswain

I will be going over your thread a few hundred times probably and iam also following T33cnos thread as they are both a very good useful and detailed threads to follow

Hopefully getting my MBD Shannon next week and I can’t wait to get started

T33cno

« Reply #554 on: January 05, 2018, 04:46:33 pm »

Hi Chris only just realised you joined  :-)  Welcome and thanks Kim for the praise  :-)

MOXCY

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #555 on: January 05, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »

Hi Chris only just realised you joined  :-)  Welcome and thanks Kim for the praise  :-)

Yes just joined on here Andy after finding my way from Facebook pages etc 👍

Stavros

« Reply #556 on: January 06, 2018, 09:36:53 pm »

Thanks Kim

Dave

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #557 on: January 31, 2018, 04:00:36 pm »

I have been missing for some three weeks due to the recurrence of the injured right thumb tendon - it will not allow me to pick up or grip items - so modelling has been put on the back burner. However, my very good friend Arno [Swiftdoc] has produced this wonderful aluminium stand for his MbD Shannon [and another for his 1/6th Speedline Models Shannon - quite a fleet!] and has given the 'OK' for me to show it here. This is the best I've seen - it's 'in proportion', solid and will do for both workshop and Show displays. That said, it is not cheap. The parts can be seen and ordered from
www.alu-profil-technik.de . I was very privileged to have been sent one as a present from Arno and this will be put together and the various parts described [including their details] over the next few days - depending how much the thumb allows!! It requires to have M5 and M6 threads cut into the ends for the solid assembly. I have just finished photographing the various parts and items, so after editing them I will Post them here. Another factor has to be taken into the final cost and that is the postage! Please do not bother Arno with this as he is a busy man, but I will answer any queries via a PM - if required. I hope you enjoy it - I will!!
C.C.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #558 on: January 31, 2018, 09:10:03 pm »

It will certainly set your beautiful build off to the extreme Kim.........they work well together.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

T33cno

« Reply #559 on: January 31, 2018, 09:11:55 pm »

Heck I want one  8)  Arno !! ow much ?  :kiss:

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #560 on: January 31, 2018, 09:22:05 pm »

Please do not bother Arno with this as he is a busy man, but I will answer any queries via a PM - if required.C.C.

T33cno

I draw you to the last part of Kims post! :((

Jim.

T33cno

« Reply #561 on: January 31, 2018, 09:25:05 pm »

Tongue in cheek
I'll ask him on SBG thank you Jim

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #562 on: January 31, 2018, 09:33:13 pm »

Heck I want one  8)  Arno !! ow much ?  :kiss:

When modifying my 3d printer, I used similar materials from a U.K. source....   http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #563 on: February 02, 2018, 11:58:10 pm »

Yesterday an engineer friend Bill, from my main club - Cygnets MBC - , came over to rectify a couple of stripped M4 threads on my lathe cross-slide. He also found that the phosphur bronze block that traverses the lead screw was not well designed, so ended up making a plate to keep all parts parallel and in line, relining the M4 threads with a repair kit [a revelation in itself!], copper greasing the threads and lead screw and giving it a complete overhaul. It now runs superbly smoothly - four hours well spent. I also got to learn many little tips and importantly how to engage the front [main bed] lead screw with the motor and machine in this fashion!! Something I had never done and was a little apprehensive about. This afternoon I went into the workshop and put the whole experience to the test - the first photo is the end result and the start of the stern bollard. It cost me, but money and time well spent!!
Also this afternoon I continued to 'use my damaged thumb' and gently cut eight M6 threads into the ends of some of the aluminium extrusion pieces to my new [courtesy of Arno] Shannon display stand. I will load the photos here now, showing the point I have got to. Tomorrow I hope to finish the main assembly [but not the angled support tops] and add on this thread the parts and their sizes so that folk can either visit the website I have put here [above] or that which Alan [Kinmel] has directed us to also. Most of the photos speak for themselves. It has been really good fun and an enjoyable half hour spent on the project! Lathe and stand has made an old man very happy. Tomorrow will be like 'heaven', more stand, then two Six Nations Rugby matches, followed by a superb curry in the evening! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #564 on: February 03, 2018, 12:07:36 am »

The final set of photos from today.
C.C.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #565 on: February 03, 2018, 12:24:55 am »

Kim, could you please do us woodworkers/cabinet makers a favour, when you have finished this, could you please  put the measurements of the cradle on to the site plus the template of the cradle supports for the hull.

I am sure that this would look lovely made as a stand in the same dimensions but in polished Honduras Mahogany, which from my old woodworking days have some hanging around.

I would like to make a cradle for someone I know, using dovetails and  secret mitre joints for it, in the old fashioned way as a project...........something that I am good at, lol.

Thank you,

Jim.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #566 on: February 03, 2018, 06:05:57 pm »

Kim, could you please do us woodworkers/cabinet makers a favour, when you have finished this, could you please  put the measurements of the cradle on to the site plus the template of the cradle supports for the hull.

I am sure that this would look lovely made as a stand in the same dimensions but in polished Honduras Mahogany, which from my old woodworking days have some hanging around.

I would like to make a cradle for someone I know, using dovetails and  secret mitre joints for it, in the old fashioned way as a project...........something that I am good at, lol.

Thank you,

Jim.

Now this I would like to see made.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #567 on: February 04, 2018, 11:58:42 am »

'Jim',
I will certainly be doing what you request, however, you will have to take into account that the angled support arms will be left 'free' on my stand, so that they can 'take-up' any small difference in angle when the hull is placed on them - much like my current stand free standing stand. I'm also considering doing a couple of very small things slightly different to Arno's superb version.

Now it's confession time!! Arno has pointed out that I have got the large central bar, in last few photos, in the wrong place. This is for the angled arms to be made from. There should be another short bar across the middle, much the same as the ends. I have now rectified this and am adding the other two angle brace pieces to the opposite side. Photos should follow later this evening or tomorrow. The wrist did not like me using it yesterday, so is quite painful at the moment, but I am about to venture into the workshop, prior to Sunday lunch, to attempt a little more before I go insane! Then there is the Six Nations match between Italy and England to hopefully enjoy.

I have also just received in the post some more 'mock' screw heads and working hinges in photo etch, so will photograph those and Post them later too.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #568 on: February 04, 2018, 12:01:28 pm »

It's good to see that Mick [IrishCarGuy] is up and about again, but not yet fully fit - let's hope that that is soon though.
Mick, did you ever get either of those two Shannon DVDs I sent?
Kim [C.C.]

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #569 on: February 04, 2018, 12:59:08 pm »

thank you Kim. I look forward to building one in timber.

cheers,

Jim.

MOXCY

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #570 on: February 04, 2018, 01:51:53 pm »

The stand looks amazing and will make a great finishing touch for a Shannon

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #571 on: February 04, 2018, 08:51:34 pm »

CC...I saw this as an IKEA type concept ...futuristic, with an industrial flavour however able to be built on a domestic assembly line [kitchen table] :o so was a little taken back seeing the set of M6 HSS Taps.....

With every conceivable building element pre-tapped .......end plates, angle pieces, internal jamb nuts & the like...are the taps only for  >>:-( emergency or contingency use?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #572 on: February 05, 2018, 12:42:09 pm »

The taps will be to thread the holes in the ends of the aluminium extrusions. This is needed for the corner blocks which are fitted at the outer corners. All of the other fittings which fit in the slots are pre threaded. It is possible to buy self tapping screws to go into the ends of the extrusions and some corner blocks come with these self tappers.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #573 on: February 05, 2018, 03:17:44 pm »

Hi Derek,
Yes, the threads need to be made in the ends as the aluminium extrusion lengths. These were pre-cut to the lengths supplied by Arno [Swiftdoc] for me, hence the M6 taps in the picture. However, the little bevelled edge 'slides' supplied here and used on the four corner 'angle units' have M5 bolts. I used the M6 tap to enlarge each of these on four 'slides' and used these to fit the four self-levelling feet. These are shown here at their full length. My next job, when I finish this, is to cut these down to their lowest length and re-fit.

Now, here's a little tale that some will be able to equate with! On fitting some of these items I needed some Allen keys, so went to the little box on the wall marked as such and hey-ho, none to fit one of the fittings. So went to my rack where there was a handled set and again this size was not covered. Later that afternoon as I was looking at some drill boxes by the side of the milling machine there was a nice blue box and the 'penny dropped'. I had treated myself to a complete set of both Imperial and Metric Allen keys some while ago and had forgotten!!

This whole unit is so solid and firm - without diametrical flex. It will make a superb stand for the workshop, for transporting in the 'old' Volvo V70 to Shows and on the display stands at those Shows - clever 'old' Arno. You can see I have now got to the stage where I will need to make the three keel 'rests down the middle and then measure and cut the four angled supports - two on each side. That might take a couple of days or so, as time is at a premium at the moment with music practice at the fore-font and me learning the German pronunciation of all words - if only Arno lived just around the corner!

The measurements so far are:
Overall footprint = 476mm x 321mm
Extruded square lengths = 20mm x 20mm [two lengths at 435mm length and three at 280mm length]
All of the threads / bolts are of M6 diameter, except for the four mentioned above for the feet 'sliders' which I enlarged from M5 to M6

Kim [C.C.]

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #574 on: February 05, 2018, 03:32:34 pm »

One of the inputs I put on this 'thread' are the various products I come across that might [or might not!] be of use on my lifeboats models [or other static models I build]. These below are the latest I've found from Aber - mine were purchased from Historex Agents of Dover. I have just put them in my 'Really Useful Box' containing all the others - many being of the working types in stainless steel and down to 0.80mm - with a quick bit of mental arithmetic they add up to in excess of £400! Well, as my wife would say, 'it's money in the bank'!!
Just in case the product numbers cannot be read, here they are:
Hinges = 35 A39
Screw heads with flat bade head = 35 A101
Screw heads with cross head = 35 A108

C.C.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.