Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 433504 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #625 on: March 05, 2018, 04:09:15 am »

Thanks me3,
Yes, I realise that and it can be seen clearly in both of my photos above. The main matter being discussed at this point was the ratchet strap to the starboard side of the SeaCatch 'Y' retainer, where it is missing. But thanks for bringing the matter up, it will be of help to some folk, if it has not already been noticed or grasped.
C.C.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #626 on: March 05, 2018, 08:25:57 am »

Your making a great job of her Kim (outstanding fittings very impressive thats what i like about scratch building)  :-)) 

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Apologies to those of you that have been following this 'thread' and maybe using it to help build your own Shannon, but I should be back now! Unfortunately, at the start of March my elderly aunt was extremely unwell and got taken very suddenly into hospital. So I went and stayed in her house in Buckinghamshire, so that I could visit her in hospital each day - sometimes for up to nine hours. This went on for some four and a half weeks. She's now slightly better and home, but with a live in carer. When I got back home there were the normal jobs to get done and also catch up on my own admin. Likewise - for all of us - the garden had sprung into life with bushes 'shooting', grass getting longer and weeds larger! During this time my computer also 'gave up the ghost' in that the picture went when the link cable to the screen from the main body snapped. That meant research, time spent looking, then buying and getting the new one up to speed - and I'm not great at IT!!!! Still that is all done now and in the meantime I prepared my self and went to the Intermodellbau in Dortmund, where I met Arno [SpeedDoc] and spent two days with him and his wonderful family, both at the Show and his home [great BBQ!!]. Now back home and about to get ready for the LBES West Midlands Lifeboat Rally this coming weekend, where I shall spend two days travelling with 17-09 and having a curry or two.
So whats's happened on the modelling front? Firstly, attached, are e few photos of the little bow bollard now glued together with two part resin JB Weld [steel] glue. Then I will catch up on a present from SwiftDoc - rust and all! Then some shots of Mr. Plastic Fantastic's Shannon [in build] down in Burgundy, France. After that a new approach to getting small parts made using a 'sledge hammer to crack a nut'  for what could be the first time used on a lifeboat model. Finally, my first approach to the use of etched brass [nickel plated] weld lines on the bow bollard - techniques and materials used. I hope that will amend a little for the time spent away elsewhere. Unfortunately, I am now some six weeks behind on the build, but hope that with a little planning and by earning some 'Brownie Points' by being back and doing little bits of late 'Spring Cleaning' I can get some more modelling in on the Shannon so that she looks more like a life-boat for the Alfold Charity Show and all the others that will rapidly follow.........and we'll all be at the 'Warwick IMBS' again in November - is it really May 7th already?!
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

During February I helped Arno [SwiftDoc] in Germany obtain some small brass 14BA nuts and bolts for his bow capstan. When he went to Belgium he found an old rusty forged steel adjustable spanner and a large nut and bolt [19mm thread with AF 25mm] and said he 'thought of me', bought it and sent it to me as ' a thank you'. At first I was not sure what to do with it - so large - but let's just say, it is not around any more!! He also treated himself to one from the same shop.
C.C.  {-) %) :-))

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Here are a few shots sent to me and Andy [MbD] by our very good friend Chris Scott [Mr. Plastic Fantastic] ex-pat, now living down in Burgundy, France. You might remember he made the detail parts for Andy's Shannon, which was beautifully featured on a superb video by Charlie, when Charlie visited Warwick IMBS last year. Chris's version features a fully working telecomms mast. Hmmmmmmm.............that does look good. Hope these shots will give inspiration to others too. They come with Chris's blessing and permission. As they say across the 'Big Pond' - 'enjoy'!!
C.C.

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Kim
Nice parts and nice to see the thread running again.

Regards

Del

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!

Nice to have you back again Kim.  See you at Knightcote with a boat that will interest you. 8)

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer

Yes, I totally agree with Mike and Del's comments and sentiments :-)) O0

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Derek, Mike and Neil,
Thanks for the kind comments - appreciated - I too have missed this and other 'threads'.
Del - great to see both you and Lee at Dortmund, still can't get over how we both - independently - booked the same two flights and the same rows on the plane!! If you had tried to do it, it would not have happened. Great that you met Arno [SwiftDoc] and Edo too. This is the really good side of this Forum and our hobby - long may it continue. Just wished I lived a little closer to the Siegen Region of Germany!!
Mike - now you really have got me thinking and looking forward, even more, to the LBES AGM Rally and Regatta! I hope it might start with a Class number of '13', but knowing you and David [a little] it could easily be a 1:4 scale Shannon [or of any other type in the fleet] !! I am intrigued. See you Saturday.

Here is the first part of my attempt at using photo etched [nickel plated] weld lines. I first:
  • cut out a length of the size I thought best and then used 800 grade 'wet & dry' to abrade the back surface - Arno, notice the lovely pair of German scissors being used here - vielen Dank!  :-))
  • then I used tweezers to bend the top section to the right width - making sure the weld lines pointed in the right direction!!
  • then cut the side lengths to fit
  • mixed the J-B Weld [steel] resin and lined the angled corner
  • fitted the 'weld' in place and used an aluminium set of 'lock' tweezers [for soldering] to keep the 'weld' in place at the bottom. I have ordered another set of US stainless steel ones, which are at this very moment out of the Parcel Force Centre at Medway and on their way for delivery today!
  • when it had almost set I then cleaned up the surrounding area with BAUFIX brush cleaner [from Lidl's - a good German product Arno!!] on a cotton bud, making sure I did not let too much run onto the main glue joint.
Hey presto, the result. Pleased, but from start to finish this little bit took over an hour and three quarters! However, most of this was on getting the bend in the top not just to go over, but also to be a 45 degrees to fill the joint at the correct angle. It is a new technique and [hopefully] will only get quicker!! I might have another go at some more of it this afternoon. It will be at the LBES Knightcote Rally this weekend.
Kim [C.C.]

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

You know CC......there is no such thing as a clean tidy "uphand" vertical fillet weld  %) is such situations ...and this representation is brilliant  :-))............ Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Thanks Derek,
Great to know that you are still 'down there' looking up to us here in Europe.
This is another great 'spin off' from this site - learning new technical terms and techniques, an 'uphand vertical fillet' - sounds like something I might ask for at the butcher's.
Cheers,
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Just got these in folk, from Chris [Mr. Plastic Fantastic] in Burgundy, France. Here are some of his new, totally scratch built seats for the interior of his MbD 1/12th scale Shannon. I would think this will soon be painted and on the lake near his 'chateau'. No doubt he will have it at the Warwichk IMBS in November - finished - while I might have just finished both bollards and a few stanchions [and maybe the stern rails!] by then. Nice one Chris, keep the photos coming.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

One thing I did not mention, when putting the 'welding' on the bollard, was that once the resin glue was curing I used a small hot air gun to speed the process - but remember to put the whole 'unit' onto a surface that can take the heat!! This torch [featured below] came from the London Rubber Stamp Company and was a superb buy a few years back at £12 or so. I use it mainly for my wiring connections in the electrics, where it does what it should to 'heat shrink' tubing superbly.
I'm also including a few photos of the new set of self-locking soldering tweezers that I mentioned in my 'build' technique piece earlier today. You can see them doing their job in a dry fit, before adding the glue - a 'dry run' to make sure they will do what I wanted - the grip pressure is strong. They are made in Italy from top grade US stainless steel and sold through a company in Germany - but in this instance imported into the UK by RS Components Ltd! Get your head around that!
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

To get right up to date I promised a new process I don't think has been used in model lifeboat [or any other types] as far as I know. As I said, it is a 'sledge hammer to crack a nut'!! Here's how it came about.
I was travelling by bus to a model show on the coast in February. Sitting on then top deck a friendly face appeared, with his friend. It was Nick who I haver known for a number of years through initially a 1/12th model of an Arun Class lifeboat. We got talking and he mentioned some bits he was having made by a company that use water-jets to cut metal. I made a note and got in touch with them when I got back from the Dortmund Show. I took my little bollard, featured here, to show them the lengths some of us will go to, to make our scratch built models. What I had in mind was the Shannon's upper steering position gate insert - all those holes - 154 on the early versions and 151 on the later versions. I produced my RNLI plans and asked whether this would be possible, remembering that the two 'beds' used by them [one shown here] cut through 6" steel and granite!! The answer was 'YES'. So what I have shown here is the machinery, the first two prototypes and then the amended versions with the correct number of rows and with the three right angled corners now machined off.
The process is:
  • Draw onto the CAD screen the item with its measurements
  • link the holes in the order in which you want them cut
  • then programme in the start and end to the perimeter cut.
Each of the 150+ holes takes 1.5 seconds to complete, by first 'punching' a small hole that is then cut to the exact size, with two extremely fast circulations. Each of the gate inserts takes about five minutes.
So I have ordered 8 of each version in brass and for myself too, one in stainless steel and one in aluminium. I have already received interest and orders for 5 of them. How much? Not cheap, but accurate and a little work of art in their own right that can be a talking point when exhibiting your model. Remember, I have had to pay for:
  • Some six hours of their time so far on programming and amending the prototypes [they put in two extra lines of holes over and above that on the plans]
  • The brass sheet [not cheap these days in small sheets I provided for them to use]
  • VAT
  • The use of one of these 'beds' for more than two hours in total for this order.
Oh yes - £15 each plus £1 p&p in the UK - elsewhere the unit cost plus postage at cost to the address of the recipient. The engraving shown here on the second amended prototypes was for me to see what it looked like for spacing. This will not be on those supplied. It did cost £5 though. However, it is not what I want, so I am still working on this in two different directions. The water-jet cutters can only do 7mm and I require 2.5mm.
The sharp eyed amongst you might notice that one of the second amendments had four holes cut at the wrong size when the machine was wrongly aligned. So I soldered these in and then re-drilled by hand to the correct size of 1.06mm. It must also be noted that I will not be finishing off each unit - this can be done by rubbing with 1200 grade 'wet & dry' paper, when received by the recipients.

Well, there we have it. The story so far. If You would like one then let me have a PM or send me an email and I'll get one to you as soon as I get the payment. You'll also have to let me know which version you require for your lifeboat. I am currently making a researched list of which Shannon had which gate - this might take some time. If you have any queries, just get in touch. However, I hope you like this little venture! I am not saying who the Company is as they requested this - saying, this was a one off Project for them and quite costly timewise, but they wanted to prove a point that it could be done! My thanks to them - Paul and Chris - as it has allowed me to get a small detailed item that would have been hard to produce to such a quality and in the right thickness of brass [to be painted anodised aluminium at a later stage].

C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

The final photos in this Project to date. The last six show the second amended versions [1 & 2] that are being produced at this very moment. I will have these at the LBES AGM this weekend.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Not sure how the photos got put on their side, they were up the right way when I attached them.
Can Martin do this, please, if being read at some stage or can anyone else suggest how this can be rectified - now they are Posted? Thanks.
Also a small point - the four holes on the Version 1 type have now been rectified, so will not be filled with solder when the new ones arrive!!
Kim [C.C.]

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures

That's some nice brass work.

8)

spongie

• Full Mayhemer

Kim,

if you ever need any CAD work done for stuff like this,

just drop me a PM, it's what I do for a day job.

I play with lifeboats for fun, always happy to help a Lifeboat modeller out.

Scott

mk1

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Kim just had a look at this https://www.ilfracombelifeboat.org.uk/virtual-tour  You can go all the way around the boat . I think the rear cock pit gate is different to yours?.

Cheers John

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Firstly, Umi and Scott, thanks.
Well, Saturday was a great day at the LBES AGM and Model Lifeboat Rally at New Home Farm, Knightcote - the home water of the Knightcote MBC. They hosted a really good day, making all welcome and providing excellent parking and food. This is what makes any event enjoyable overall and they did it in abundance. Likewise the weather held, so a dry and warm day allowed a set-up and take-down scenario that could be 'enjoyed'. Once on the road home - the heavens opened and the spray caused some awkward visibilty!
The really good bit for me was to meet so many friends from this MBM Forum - Charlie, Mike [Gribeauval] and David, Jeff, Alan [17-09], Marie and Graham, Steve, Martin [Baloo], Ian, John and Rob. The photos will show some of their lifeboat models:
  • A general shot of the top end of the pond
  • Martin's RNLB Queen steam lifeboat from New Brighton
  • our gazebo [Alan, Charlie and myself]
  • a close-up of the detail on Alan's Gold Award winning Brede Class
  • the latest project from Mike and David - a 1/12th 64" model of RNLB William Hilary [I hope I have that right!]
  • Ian's Campbeltown Severn Class
  • Marie's Waveney Class
  • Charlie's US Coast Guard vessel [1/18th scale] - a total scratch build and covered here on MBM on its own 'thread'
  • Likewise his superb Solent Class [1/18th scale]
  • and finally, Alan's Brede Class on the water.
I hope you enjoy looking at just a few of those boats that were put on the water during the day. Do come next year, if you are a member of the LBES, and if you are not, then drop me an email or PM with your address and I will get you a membership form into the post. It is well worthwhile and the magazine alone is worth every penny of the £18 membership subscription!!
There were two excellent illustrated lifeboat talks in the Monk's Barn Conference centre during the afternoon and at the venue there is also a Model Railway Club's HQ and their layouts - open to us free of charge and also a tractor museum - what more do you want for a day out?
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Hi John [Mk!],
Thanks for your feedback. No, this is the  Version 2 that is on the official RNLI plans and is definitely used on the Amble lifeboat [13-16]. I have Version 1 on my Dungeness model and this was on the first four built, but as I said, I am in the middle of making up a list, from those photos it is able to research from. I have had both types made and they are shown above. If anyone can show me the gate insert to the upper steering position of any of their local boats I would appreciate it [this will enable me to be sure and will help me make the decision to who gets what when folk order them. So far everyone knows, although two others are finding out]. Funny though, when the RNLI started the design of these they said every boat would be the same, with no 'little differences', as has been the case on other classes over the years. You John, and a few other folk, have already spotted differences galore!
Kim

mk1

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Kim I enclose a picture of the cock pit gate it looks different in the fact it only has 2 holes on the right hand side were the writing is and not 3 holes as of yours. This is from 13-09.

John

mk1

• Full Mayhemer

Hi should have said 1 hole.

John

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Hi John,
Yes, sorry, you are so right. That makes Version 3 [so far!]. I had a look last night, but could not get a good definition [sharpness] when I zoomed in, but thought I had read it correctly, but not so. So thanks for the correction.
I have had a PM from another of our Shannon community and he too has reminded me of this 360 degree tour of the Ilfracombe boat. It should be a help to many modellers - very clever.
Cheers and keep up the good work.
Kim

minimariner

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Hi Kim, Photo`s of Lowestoft 13-05 and Skegness 13- 17 gates.
     Bryan.

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.