Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 433520 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?

Bryan,
Many thanks for this. I also got a photo sent from Mike [Griebeauval] for Scarborough's boat and this also confirms version 3. So with what Alan drew my attention to has now made me look again at the detail and notice that not only is there only hole between the top 'full' line and the next 'full' line under the lettering area, but that that top line now only has thirteen [13] holes, instead of 14 holes in the earlier [version 1] gate inset.
Great, these little details. I have just got back from the 'waterjet cutting' company having ordered some of these versions so that I can fulfil a recent order received. These ought to be with me in the middle of next week and the surplus will be going with me to the Care Ashore Charity Show in Alfold in three weekends time [2nd and 3rd June] where I will have my LBES gazebo and model display + lifeboat memorabilia.
So, anyone else out there that has a clear close-up shot of a Shannon gate and the boat's number - please post it here or send it to me on a PM or email. My list of the 26 Shannons so far built is half completed.
My thanks for your interest.
Kim [C.C.]

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer

13-18 (Llandudno) is identical to 13-17's

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #652 on: June 04, 2018, 05:41:50 pm »

Before I catch up on earlier matters [maybe later tonight or tomorrow] I will give a short update on the Alfold Charity Model Show from last weekend, down there at the Care Ashore HQ, Springbok Estate, Alfold, Surrey.
The weather this year was just superb, likewise the company and camaraderie. There were some 22 MBCs, including the large Moorhen MBC stand and a similar one from the Portsmouth & District MPBC too. It was good to see some new clubs joining in for the first time too. The Eastourne MBC [Martin, Ian and John] who were just across the aisle from my LBES gazebo, and they were 'royally' entertained by my antics, right across the weekend!! Thanks guys for your help, humour and guardianship of my stand in my regular 'absences' - when I remembered my key! Also Ramsgate Vikings MBC, with one gent [sorry, forgot his name] taking the 'Best Lifeboat' shield! Which brings me to the fact that we gave a small tribute to the late Tony Olliff at the awards and presentations. Tony passed away in April and his name appears on many of the cups and shields at this Show. He was a prolific model lifeboat builder to a superb standard. He had an 'impish' sense of humour and regularly wandered around the stands. He was a founder member member of the Southern Model Lifeboat Society, along with Reg Woodcock and others and was also a member of the LBES. Trevor Goacher, the CEO of Care Ashore, said when he arrived on the estate he was more than a guest - he was 'one of the Springbok Estate family, a fine accolade indeed. However, without Tony this year the bar takings were down considerably!! He will be sorely missed. Should anyone [or Club] wish to make a tribute donation in memory of Tony, please send it to Trevor Goacher [CEO] at Care Ashore - it will be gratefully received and help boost the money raised this weekend for this fine Charity, looking after the needs of Merchant Seamen, Royal Navy staff and divers too.
Oh, there were model railway layouts, some real diesel engines pumping water, a bouncy castle and other entertainments, as well as the Guides and Rangers providing good food and drinks.
Attached are a few shots of my stand. Notice the stand that was the 'brain child' of Arno [SwiftDoc] - it is great in the workshop, holds the boat securely when moving it from the workshop to the car and it travels so steadily in transit and still looks great on display - wunderbar! The beautiful little 41' 'Aldeburgh' Beach Lifeboat was scratch built by John Sanders and I acquired that from him a few years back. It's the Dungeness based lifeboat, so goes well with their Shannon, here in build!
It was good to meet so many folk that spend time reading this 'thread' - thanks.
Kim [C.C.]

spongie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #653 on: June 04, 2018, 06:22:31 pm »

which boat is now missing 2 stanchions  {-)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #654 on: June 06, 2018, 05:05:13 pm »

Spongie - The answer is RNLB Edith Emilie [ON 1062] 52-14!! If you look at page 93 in Tony Denton and Nicholas Leach's book 'Lifeboat Directory - a Complete Guide to British Lifeboats' you will see her photographed as a Pilot boat in Montrose harbour. She is without her stanchions on the Port side and also her later model capstan - now appearing to possess an early version. A friend of mine owned the ex- RNLI lifeboat 'Mabel Alice' and acquired a number of 52-14's stanchions and the capstan [which I nearly bought from him to act as the base to a revolving 1/12th scale lifeboat stand for my Arun - 52-25! Alas it was too heavy to be able to move on my own and even for the back of the Volvo V70 Estate!!]. However, I did buy two stanchions [which are the same on the Trent, Severn, Mersey and Tyne classes too], this helped solve a dispute where I needed to prove that the section below the central knuckle and the kickboard spade was in fact tapered [Q.E.D.]. They now accompany me to a number of Shows, where I use RNLI memorabilia amongst my LBES display.  %)
Kim

spongie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #655 on: June 06, 2018, 05:55:17 pm »

I've got the rest of the stanchions off her  :-))

Didn't know Andy had the Capstan!

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #656 on: June 12, 2018, 03:05:13 pm »

Got to 'catch up' and 'fess up' to a few matters, before I show my upper steering position gate build for the Alfold Charity Model Show a couple of weeks back.
Firstly, that rusty old spanner, bolt and nut [see reply 628] sent to me by Arno [SwiftDoc] was a chocolate one, bought in Bruges, Belgium and sent as an Easter present. Hence, it did not last long and had a wonderful taste. I thought showing it might be a 'fly to the trout' in certain areas, but I was sadly wrong!
Secondly, the weld lines continue to be added, but I have gone 'off piste' with the gate insert build at the moment, as mentioned above. Thanks to all those, and there have been many [emails, PMs, phone calls and in person at Shows] that have said they really do like them. Even better that a few folk are npw adding this to their boat builds now. I have only had one comment that the person did not like them. As I always think, if you want to get the right blue and orange correct on the paintwork, and likewise the nut and bolt heads - along with their washers, then on a lifeboat such as the Shannon this is a prominent feature to the build throughout, so if that is you 'bent' - get it right. I appreciate this is not for everyone [the detail that is], but on this boat the water-jets and weld lines [as well as its beautiful lines!] are the key features for me.
Thirdly, the three versions of the gate insert mention above are here to be seen. So far I have sold ten out of the 23 I have had made.
Lastly, it was good to see Arno and his family over here a few weeks back and catch up on matters, person to person. We shared in our other pastime of motor racing and cars and had a few meals together. We also watched the the evening launch exercise of 13-02 at Dungeness on the Wednesday and then on the Thursday morning a friend of mine who is the LVO [Lifeboat Visits Officer] gave them a guided tour of their Atlantic '85. That and a visit to Mount Ephraim Gardens [to earn large amounts of 'Brownie Points for him!] it was a very enjoyable week. I'll say it again. Ten months ago we did not know each other and had not met. Through this Forum and 'thread' on MBM we have become good friends, share various passions [including quality teas and coffees] and have met four times, including a visit, BBQ and stay at his home in Germany whilst at the Dortmund Show in April - where I had the best piece of lamb ever!!! Long may it all continue - the best side of what goes on within 'social media'.
Kim [C.C.]

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #657 on: June 12, 2018, 03:14:59 pm »

Chris Scott - Mr. Plastic Fantastic - from down in Burgundy, France has been in touch with me concerning his order for a gate insert and some technical measurement details and has sent me some more photos of his 'scratch built' interior for his 1/12th MbD Shannon. Because they are in styrene, they are nice and light. He is currently making the seat-belts for each seat.
C.C.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #658 on: June 12, 2018, 07:19:12 pm »

Are all the screens and scanners backlit with led Kim or is it just the light from the camera flash. looks superb. :-))

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #659 on: June 12, 2018, 09:08:43 pm »

Chris is doing a wonderful job building the interior from scratch. Thanks for sharing!
As Kim covered our last visit to the UK I feel obliged to give a comment on that as well. I have learnt a lot from you Kim and I am happy that you share all your knowledge. Not to forget 17-09, we only had a short stay last year but I took so many impressions with me watching his beautifully detailed build. As you said, long may it continue. And if Martin (admin) should read this thread, thanks a lot for your effort to keep MBM running. Without the forum it all would not have happened.
But now back to the Shannon build ok2

Arno

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #660 on: June 13, 2018, 01:57:22 am »

Neil - Not sure, I don't think they are back-lit, I'll find out, unless Chris reads this and beats me to it!!
Arno - Great to have your encouragement and feedback and am already looking forward to the end of July!!

Well, you've all seen the end product, sitting on my photo of the gate insert at the Alfold Show above, but here is the build process [23 photos in all], I hope it might help some Shannon builders 'out there'.
  • I have used 2.48mm [3/32"] brass rod for the complete exterior frame and tube for the two cross members.
  • I made a small PostIt note of the way each joint had to be soldered [welded in the real item].
  • To bend the frame I used my Robbe Robivor-M No. 5733. These were 'sold out' for a while, but I notice they are now back on sale in Europe from a few sources at Euros 54 [approx]. I had used two diameters - 28mm for the top bend and 38mm for the bottom bend. It is easy to make extra ones for any bend diameters, if you have a lathe. I and 17-09 have made extras in brass and aluminium to serve our needs.
  • Making the parts is a gradual process and at each stage I place the parts on the plan and also make 'dry fits', just to hopefully confirm all is correct!
  • You will notice that at various stages the items are finally cut or filed to the correct length.
  • Each of the joints involved 'cod mouth' profiling - this is noted on the PostIt note above and also can be seen in one shot, before silver soldering.
  • You will also see my Skamolex sheet and blocks, used to absorb the heat from the oxy/butane torch.
  • Note my use of model railway track pins to hold pieces in place.
  • To make a working slide bolt lock I cut a piece away to accept the stainless steel 'bolt' and then I cut a small piece of half-tube to soft solder back into place and hold the bolt correctly in place within the tube.
A few hours work, but it was worth it. Now to make the hinges and hang it on the backrest.

C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #661 on: June 13, 2018, 02:04:12 am »

Second set of photos.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #662 on: June 13, 2018, 02:13:23 am »

The final three photos and then time for bed!! But at least I am now up to date with where I am at this moment.
Not sure how much will get done in the next week and a half as I have a Concert coming up in the Cathedral on Saturday 23rd June at 7.30pm singing Elgar's 'The Dream of Gerontius', along with three top soloists and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra [no less!!]. Some 120 voices in the choir [Canterbury Choral Society - details on their website, should you want to come and support us]. Great music, a superb sound and a great World Heritage setting!

C.C.

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories
« Reply #663 on: June 13, 2018, 10:49:46 am »

Hi Kim, Really nice work Fella. Hope you are well.

regards,

Martin.
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #664 on: June 13, 2018, 11:59:42 am »

Well CC.....we trust your vocal chords will be in fine form  :-))...[certain choral massed voices are absolutely magnificent]   O0

Getting back to silver soldering.....we see you have pinned the tubes for support......what is the backing material ?.... some sort of heat resisting compressed Vermiculite board?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

minimariner

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #665 on: June 13, 2018, 04:33:23 pm »

Derek,
              Its Skamolex Board, Kim put it in the text.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #666 on: June 13, 2018, 11:56:16 pm »

Just trying out a better image size of the Gate Insert versions photo, after Charlie stated the quality was not too good. So hope the 'internet tool' he has suggested is better than the previous one I used. Here goes........................
Cheers,
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #667 on: June 13, 2018, 11:58:39 pm »

That looks better and is of more use. Thanks Charlie; just have to get used to using it now. Life is full of changes and is a constant learning process!!
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #668 on: June 14, 2018, 10:49:10 am »

Just been sent another PM by Charlie and it seems I am still using the wrong size 're-size' - can be maximum size of 500kb per individual photo, so let's see what size that gives.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #669 on: June 14, 2018, 10:50:34 am »

Cheers Charlie,
That should be better for detail in future. No wonder your shots have been larger than mine - problem solved - Q.E.D.
Kim

Mr Plastic

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #670 on: August 05, 2018, 11:03:29 am »

Good Morning All,
In reply to a question about my interior build, the screens are not back lit. i have used high res photos.
hope this helps.
Mr plastic fantastic.

TimpdonG

• Shipmate
    • Timpdon Electronics
« Reply #671 on: August 17, 2018, 04:51:15 pm »

At long last my Shannon is finished !!

Initial sailing trials were impressive - Very fast, and very stable.

For those of you going to the Haydock Park Model Boat Convention next week, she will be on the Etherow Model Boat Club stand.

Geoff G
Genius is 99% Perspiration !!

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #672 on: August 17, 2018, 05:49:19 pm »

Geoff,
She looks very neat and a real beauty! I won't be at the Show, but no doubt some others will take photos. Thanks for showing it here.
And then there's all those wonderful electrics inside too...............................!!
I hope to catch up the little I've done recently, but this year has not turned out as planned in my diary!! And here we are half way through August.
However, so pleased you have got your Shannon finished and you are pleased with her.
Please put some more of your thoughts or tips here for us all - good and bad experiences, so we can learn.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #673 on: September 27, 2018, 12:34:42 am »

Yes, I'm back and actually got into the workshop and did some Shannon build today!! This year has just not turned out the way I had planned it at the start.........but that most likely goes for all who are reading this. So let's get up to date and start sharing what's happened.
  • Firstly, it was so good to have met with Swift Doc [Arno] and his family twice this Summer. We had some great times and outings and enjoyed some good food together.............roll on Dortmund 2019!! During the latter visit they got to visit the Canterbury Dry Dock and 17-09's down on the cliff tops near Dover.
  • I attended and displayed at the Dungeness RNLI Open Day in August and raised another £26 to go with my DVD monies and other bits - in all £46.21. Not a lot this time, but every little helps.
  • I've also made the most of the good weather and got over to Maidstone and Mote Park [where I am a member of the Cygnets MBC] and sailed my yacht [a converted SeaWind to the 32nd America's Cup 'Alinghi'] and Arno and family made it to the 'Boats on the Mote' event too. Great, he got to sail my Seawind and now has one of his own!!
  • Finally, in this little catch-up, I have started on the stern towing bollard today. Same approach as the forward one. More to be done, but I have the St. Albans Model Engineering Society Show this weekend, so want to get a little more done for the Shannon to go on our LBES stand display. If you want to come it's a great day out. Plenty of model boats and Clubs exhibiting, electric model railways, live steam railways and traction engines, working Meccano displays, Tamiya Trucking lorries and diggers, quad copters and fixed wing aircraft and a great canteen run by the ladies. It is held this Saturday and Sunday at Townend Church of England Secondary School from 1000hrs 'til 1700hrs.
Well, I'll end now and catch up on some other folks Shannon news over the next couple of days.
Kim [C.C.]

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #674 on: September 27, 2018, 12:39:22 am »

Apologies.........there was a 'double take' at the Open Day and this attached should have followed the second launch photo and then the last photo was posted the correct way up, but the MBM machinery has thought otherwise!! It gives an impression of what I have done though.
Cheers,
C.C.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.