Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 433479 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2016, 01:49:01 am »

The last photo of it back on the boat here; the re-build process will follow.
Derek [down in the Southern Hemisphere] a sea gull ate the sandwich on the divers' boat at the weekend, so a new [and fresh] one will be made!!
Kim

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2016, 05:17:52 pm »

Hi Kim,

Your Shannon appeared in my Twitter feed today :D Have to agree, it is looking good.

Charlie

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2016, 11:44:32 pm »

Hi Charlie,
Very many thanks for posting this here for me. Guess what? When I got home i realised that out of all the photos I took for the MMI magazine coverage, I never took one of my own exhibit table [which also had my divers' boat on it too]!!
Sorry that you had to see it this way [apologies again for not taking it to Mote Park] - you must come over some time and talk lathes and model builds, give me some dates and times, when convenient.
Is there any way you can contact the person that took this photo? If so, could you give them my email address and get them to send it to me as an attachment, but at full MBs - not resized / compressed? Also ask if they would allow me to use it on the odd occasion for RNLI / LBES purposes with acknowledgement to them?
Many thanks for this - looks good, will soon start to get some detail onto it and consider putting the water-jets in.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2016, 01:22:10 am »

Not a pretty sight!!
I've added some of the next few photos in this build just to show some folk, 'newish' to this hobby, that not all goes according to plan or expectations!
  • Because I am a bit fastidious in some areas ['are you?' I can hear some saying!] I decided to take the nose off the wheelhouse and move it back 5mm.
  • I really do not like CNA [Superglue], so when I came to use it and put the front and two angled sides back on [remember when I took the moulded bit off the bottom of the nose - I used some of this] I found it went on badly - to say the least, because it took two attempts, even to get it looking this bad! However, if at first you don't succeed .......
  • I then noticed that the front piece was off the deck by 2mm so infilled with U-Pol 'easy sand' filler [I usually use the P38 brand, but this had been recommended and I noticed that Andy at MbD uses it too - when I looked on both tins in Halfords the P38 one is made by U-Pol too!]
  • That done I decided to mark up the front hatch cover, make a note of the details on my note pad - all ready for moving that back 5mm too.
  • Also note that I put a piece of wood across the nose, underneath it, to stop it 'rocking' when working on it.
  • I then masked the areas where there are inlet boxes on both sides of the wheelhouse, ready to fill with filler, sand back and re-draw in the position I require them for my boat plans of 13-02. Note - in my enthusiasm to get on with it I forgot to mask off one area [where the fire hydrant feed point sits], so when I had filled the others and masked it the filler had almost hardened - tried to apply, but not a very good job done, so will sand and refill again
There, will try and get out into the outside workshop [garden] early, later today [sitting here watching the Olympics live athletics coverage], to sand these areas back before the rain comes to the South East of England. It does not look a good day weather wise!

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2016, 01:37:21 am »

The second photo in the last post shows the underside of the nose, where I have used resin and glass fibre tape to re-inforce the three sections glued into position [badly!]. This certainly makes for a very strong build in this area, remembering that it might get knocked when putting on and taking off in the future.

Whilst writing this up, I will use the opportunity to confirm that I have spoken to the family concern of Kehrer Modellbau [KMB], who make the 28mm water-jets [Jet28] being used here. They have stock and will be making more in the immediate future. They have no thoughts of stopping production of them. They are a very highly respected producer of water jets with many proven examples, that have fine characteristics and a quality build. Please note that they have told me they will be closed for annual holidays from 22nd August to 5th September, just in case you are about to order yours [knowing that quite a few folk have recently bought the MbD 1/12th Shannon lifeboat].
C.C.

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2016, 09:14:10 am »

Hi Kim
You are really going for it on this build. I am looking forward to seeing it
in the flesh so to speak.

Regards

Derek

Ps I now have a lifeboat kit to build.... O0

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2016, 09:47:40 am »

Yes Derek, trying to keep a bit of momentum on this one. Just started to rain here, so no sanding at the moment, will burn some Trent DVDs off for customers and take them down the Post Office.
So you have a lifeboat? I remember the 1/12th Waveney - what's this one?
Will probably not be taking the Shannon to the Headcorn Southern Model Show [I know of three others that could be there], but hope to bring it to Broomfield MBC at the Park and to the St. Albans MES Show.
Have a good weekend - intrigued to what your lifeboat is!
Regards,
Kim

Revester

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2016, 04:57:48 pm »

Speedline Models is at Haydock on the bank holiday weekend and we will be showing the 'almost finished' Shannon class lifeboat kits in both scales.
In addition we will have some jet drives to show. They are the drives for the Shannons of course but they should prove popular with all types of jet dive boats because of the scale-like appearance and their ability to steer in reverse.
I was emailed a few weeks ago by a Mr Albear Montocchio who is the Global Marketing Manager for Hamilton Jet, the manufacturer of the real things used on the Shannon. He gave us formal approval to add their name on the reversing buckets of the drive units. We sent him the 3D designs which he thought were very good. I think he is interested in having some Shannons built for the Company to use in marketing. I think that is a wonderful idea!!

Our 1/12th scale jet drives use a 28mm diameter overlapping three blade design of impeller cast onto a stainless steel shaft. Protean Design (Simon Higgins new company) was involved in the design and he is making them for us. The six bladed 'matched' stator is cast into the centre section of the drive which is made from a very tough plastic like material. I have tested the drives against all the better know jet drives available and am very pleased with the results. How powerful is it?  Well as Rolls Royce would say, its adequate.
See you at the show.
Kim, bring your micrometer.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2016, 03:00:03 am »

Adrian,
This all sounds very good. You seem to be suggesting from your second sentence that you will now be selling these for folk to use on other models other than your Speedline Shannons? Looking forward to see what you have done with regards to reproducing your windows too.

Now back to my build. Looking [slightly] better now, as on Friday I used first the Perma-Grit block to remove the high spots, then my trusty Proxxon delta sander with a 80 grit, then 150, then finally a 250 grit. All went well, and I will finally do a wet and dry finish with water - right at the last when all is in place for a primer coat in grey - sorry Andy the orange will disappear!! There will need to be just a small couple of areas to add some more U-Pol filler on Monday. The front nose top port corner and just underneath when you can see on the final photo it is just above the deck line.
Just one little area on the port side fuel aperture did not seem to adhere, so maybe I did not thoroughly mix the U-Pol filler? Also the area adjacent I did not mask will need to be revisited. However, my method of masking the surround area proved useful in the initial steps, something I will use in the future for other builds too.
I am really enjoying this model build and each time I pick the hull up I get very excited. She is a lovely looking lifeboat, with great lines from every angle. Thanks for all the emails and PMs, I just hope it will be a help for anyone building this model and lifeboat or just watching. Roll on Monday!! Mind you, I've just seen Mo Farah win the 5,000 metres - unfortunately the Olympics will be finished by then!!
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2016, 03:17:13 am »

I have in place an opportunity to record live on a Shannon class lifeboat the start-up, run and close-down sounds. This will then be translated into a digital sound module small enough to be used both on the 1/16th and 1/12th scale versions of this lifeboat.
As soon as this is done I will report back here on my build. One will be going inside mine!
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2016, 05:45:51 pm »

Good weather day today, so got outside and completed a little more.
  • trimmed a little more off the bottom edge to allow the wheelhouse to sit a fraction closer to the deck
  • then used the Perma-Grit block to remove the top 1.5mm of the front hatch cover
  • this was followed by the Proxxon delta sander [80 grit] to get it down to the flange, then finally down to the wheelhouse nose level. Then finished off with 150 and 280 grit.
  • played around with the top nose surfaces a little, just to flatten off today's scratches a little
  • while I felt in the mood to tidy it up a little I used a drum sander on my Dremel to get rid of some of the excess U-Pol filler from the underside of the nose area - still needs final adjustment, but when the outside surfaces are finished
  • finally, set-up spirit levels at the mid-section of the deck for the horizontal [stern to bow], likewise the front nose, but here it was port to starboard, then flattened off the capstan base to take the capstan at the correct surface level
A good day and all in all some 3 hours work - soon goes!
I've sourced and bought some aluminium channel of the right size for the keel and stern 'kicked' skeg. In real life this is stainless steel, but I will hope to 'braze' my aluminium parts, then treat some to give the correct finish, while polishing others to look as near to stainless as possible. This means the keel needs to be the correct width and depth to take the metal parts. The last thing I want to keep away from is painting these parts to look like metal on my model - each to their own. The only part I will possibly make in brass is the front pulpit rail, as this will be painted in satin black, so the aluminium would be hidden.

minimariner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2016, 11:33:27 pm »

Hi Kim,

PM sent
Bryan

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2016, 12:46:16 am »

Hi Kim with reference to the capstan you say what is wrong with it. Is it that the upper cutout should be above every other bottom cutout. The model is looking good keep it up. I have now started on getting my 2nd Shannon up to the same state as the 1st one and then finish all the little bits on both together.

John

Revester

• Shipmate
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2016, 06:16:32 pm »

I don't suppose anyone else will notice Kim. Nice turning job though.
If it was me though it would just have to be right. Its just me I know. This is what mine looks like.

Revester

• Shipmate
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2016, 06:25:27 pm »

Couldn't resits that one Kim, sorry.
On the subject of close up accuracy though. If anyone would like to see a detail of any part of the boat on here that might help their build just ask and I'll pop it on.
Soon. any casting will be available be it for a scratch builder or the build of a MBD Shannon.
Adrian

Revester

• Shipmate
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2016, 06:29:10 pm »

There are eight hold down bolts not six.
Adrian

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2016, 10:20:49 am »

Cheeky Adrian, I thought that I was on the Speedline Models 'new kit' thread when I opened this up!!
Mk1 [John] you are totally right and as the first to recognise it a small RNLI prize is on its way.
Adrian you are too [I made it more than ten years ago for my Arun Class], but a new one is already done for the Shannon and being cast at this moment. However, my thread is for those building or interested in a semi-scratch approach where they [like me] want to enjoy researching and making the various parts for themselves. A few PMs have 'winged' their way to me saying that my site has been 'high-jacked' by Speedline, I hope not! Interesting that you are now offering your parts to all - I always said to you in the past that your idea of a 'Chandlery' would be a good one, but you never took it up. So many parts to offer folk. I shall continue to watch your thread though, there are some really nice parts being made for your kit - those waiting must be salivating enormously. I see the water-jets are not now aluminium?
Yesterday's small progress by me will be posted later.
C.C.

Revester

• Shipmate
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2016, 03:04:53 pm »

Yes, sorry Kim.
I don't mean to 'Hijack' your thread and in fact I think I have been very good staying off.
I recognise that you like to make all your own parts and many more do too I'm sure.
I will be offering a lifeboat Chandlery soon but hey, enough of me. Lets have a look at your latest progress then.
Back to the 'other thread' now.
Over and out.
Adrian

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2016, 02:34:58 pm »

Tuesday saw a day gaining 'Brownie Points' - taking my wife to the coast for a meal looking across the Channel and watching all the marine activity - including a tall ship with three small triangular sails set, two on the jib mast and one between the second and third main mast. [I have written all of this yesterday in the heat, then accidentally touched a key to the left of the keyboard and it wiped the lot!! Could not find out a way of retrieving it, so here we go again].
When I got home I decided to at least do something, so sat in the shade in the garden and started a slow, but methodical, approach to tidying the 'rubber' fenders spoken of earlier in this thread.
  • I used the Perma-Grit block sander, a 'Stanley' style knife with the triangular blade, a pair of sharp pointed needlework scissors and a block of wet & dry paper of P800 grade
  • I cut the casting 'plugs' off the end, using the knife. Do not saw through too much, try to put the item on a solid surface, then position the knife and cut in one motion [or two]. This leaves less lines to tidy up.
  • Using the scissors I gently cut off the few areas of 'flash' where the 'rubber' solution had oozed out of the mould joint. Not many, but it helped the sanding process to be more uniform. Make sure that you are 'happy' with the scissors' positioning before making the cut - we've all been there before and wished we had listened to our gut feeling!! If required, start one end and then reverse and cut from the other end, this stops the hyperthenar edge of your palm getting in the way of the 'angle of attack'.
  • I then took the smoother side of the block along each of the edges and the undercuts, again making sure that the edge being sanded was supported, so a more exact and uniform edge was achieved.
  • I then fixed one to the starboard stern edge, using auto sponge double sided adhesive tape, which is quite 'tacky', but not very thin, hence you might be able to see it sitting a little away from the edges. Without, it fitted perfectly.
  • I will not 'sand back' anymore until they are all glued on after the spray painting - a long way off - this will be to enable a continuous action to blend and 'marry up' any of the lengths, should it be required [on initial viewing this should not be necessary].
I only did two, but it was another small step forward. Remember that MbD originally did the fenders in two lengths [starboard and port], then went to ten pieces [five for each side], and have now gone back to the two lengths, as Andy has solved the casting and air bubbles problem. You will need to support these lengths, maybe using masking tape on a work bench [or kitchen table- if the 'good lady' is out - do not even contemplate if she is in!!]. John [Mk1] has achieved this, so as a scratch builder might give us some extra tips on the exact same product.

The other two photos are of a piece of the fender I got from Andy, early on, where I am throwing at it all sorts of conditions - stretching, pulling, twisting, salt water, immersion for a period, sanding of different grades and Autoglym rubber conditioner / protector. All seems OK still! One has the Autoglym on the first one not.
I believe that MbD will be at the Haydock Park Show this coming weekend, so you can go and have a look at the finished article and [having asked first] give it a 'prod'.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2016, 04:55:31 pm »

There are days when ones' faith in humanity is restored - and today was one of them. The postman came a few hours ago and left an envelope marked 'please do not bend'. In side were three copies of the Naming and Dedication Ceremony and Service for 13-12 RNLB Cosandra a boat for the Relief Fleet of the RNLI.
My very good friend Gary works for Malcolm Elvy, the company that move many of our lifeboats around the country. Whilst there on 1st July he managed to acquire these copies for me to go on my Shannon Class model and photographic exhibition at Shows and for a further copy to go in my reality collection. He knows I like lifeboat paraphernalia.
Why I have also put this here is that if you are making a model of this boat you will need to get one detail correct! The number on the bow is made up of all the names of the people who donated to the RNLI's Christmas Appeal 2015 for the balance of funds required to build her - overall £2.2 million. The late Costa Arsensis [he a merchant seaman] and his wife Alexandra bequested a very large amount of this sum, so when she died in 2011 a request for a lifeboat to be named after them was made - hence the name.
A very generous couple and my thanks to Gary for allowing me to have a very small part of that story!

spongie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2016, 04:59:34 pm »

My wife's name is in there somewhere!!!

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2016, 11:12:51 pm »

Spongie - that's great, your model will have to reflect that!!
Yesterday I did not do too much as I had a physio session.
  • When I got back I filled the stern engine room hatch access cover hinge position that faces starboard, using thick styrene sheet and sanding it down. Early on the RNLI released drawings and pictures of either version and MbD have reflected that. 13-02's one faces the stern edge. I used Gorilla glue to do this as a test - tomorrow I will use U-Pol filler to fill the very thin [hairline] crack left.
  • I then sanded down the two stern transom area stag-horn bollard plates, which Andy had made too high and acknowledged this as soon as the first deck was laid. It should have been for the stern and bow cleats at this height. However, it's not a problem as it just needs sanding back. A ledge of the correct depth can be left, but I have gone flat to the deck and will make the raised area as a plate and glue it on.
  • I then lightly fettled the hatch rim that MbD provide as a CNC milled extra and press fitted it so that it can be removed for the time being when the build process requires.
Having looked at my reference photos I notice that the rim for my hatch cover of 13-02 should sit proud of the deck - for me a trip hazard, but that is what it's got, so that's what I will give it. I will make an infill plate and glue in place and then remove the internal aperture to give me an access hatch for my electronics / servos / cables.

Today I did not do anything, as my body has 'rebelled' against the physio session and I have found it hard to stand or sit, let alone attempt the ten exercises given for each day! Plus it was really hot again here in the South East.

Just to finish. I do record my build with both the processes used and the mistakes made, as it lets others know that such things happen and hopefully they can learn from them - the real benefit of this Forum. I hope it is of use to some.

spongie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2016, 11:15:40 pm »

I'm too busy refurbishing a full size Lifeboat to have time to make models. Neither do I really have the patience or skills!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2016, 11:40:41 pm »

Kim..what is the crazed surface under or about the numeral 12?.....or is it just a photographic reflection :o............... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2016, 11:55:14 pm »

Hi Derek,
Gary took these shots for me, but alongside the one in the Naming Ceremony brochure where an RNLI technician is peeling back the large 'transport medium' paper with the lettering on [like a giant vinyl transfer from the BECC Company here in the UK] it is either a 'water slide medium' or water residue - all awaiting a good clean off and final polish. Sorry, I have had to surmise, but think this is it.
Regards,
Kim
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.