Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 43   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 435377 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2016, 05:59:58 pm »

Spent the afternoon in the workshop doing some detail work on the water-jet plates and nozzle. This is where I will be spending my modelling days for the next five months, now it's that time of year and the clocks have changed! That said, what wonderful weather we are having here in the UK! If I refer to 'the bridge' in any of my ramblings this is the work surface I have made that joins the left work surface to the one on the right.
  • I started by cleaning and washing the starboard side water-jet nozzle, after lightly sanding with 800 wet & dry paper. I then gave a fine coat of a primer I had that said it was superb for resin items! First mistake. It was a problem that I had not used before and it just would not dry, so I used my little heat gun, but still not solution. I add this comment here so that some that might be watching will see that not everything goes according to plan! I waited until later and then gave it a coat of Halfords red oxide primer, but still think during the next few days I will have to strip this back and do it again, straight away with the red oxide - like I would normally do.
  • I found a counter sink and by hand gently reemed a 'smidge' out of the two pivot holes for the nozzle. I have also ordered some stainless steel blackened M2 screws to replace the ones seen here.
  • I then finished fettling the starboard side trim plane [tab] hinge plate that sits underneath the water-jet plate.
  • When finished I marked, centre-punched and drilled 1mm holes to accept the stainless steel 1mm bolts I was going to use to attach it by. All the time I was doing this I was watching the European Darts Championship on my PC [visible in some shots] and saw poor old Phil Taylor 'brexit' to a European!
  • All seemed to go OK and I then took some shots of it married up and bolted together and also fitted to the water-jet set-up on my demo board for the Warwick Show in a couple of weeks time.
  • The whole of this area and its items will eventually be sprayed a 'gun metal' type colour, to replicate the actual surfaces.
Well, off to watch the Mexican Grand Prix live now - let's see what tomorrow brings.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2016, 06:03:20 pm »

The balance of seven photos.
C.C.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2016, 05:34:10 pm »

Not sure if I have missed a trick here, but how are you going to achieve reverse, if at all?

Hope I am not being to dumb.

By the way, wonderful build.
grumpy old XXX

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2016, 01:32:37 am »

Hi 'G.O.S' [Colin-Stevens],
No you are not 'being dumb' - I'm going to have reversing 'buckets' that drop down and as stated on my Futaba FX20 Tx shots, these will have an instant drop down by use of one switch for when a quick braking action is required, through to independent variable control of either bucket, via the central rotary knobs and sliders, for when general slower manoeuvres  and docking are required. I am working on this mechanism [on the side] at the moment and how to programme the Tx; however, Andy has already solved this on his model, likewise the YouTube version of Alan Guest's above.
Thanks for asking and your kind comment on the build.
Kim

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2016, 07:26:18 am »

Hi Kim
Good work on the Jet stuff but what is the angle section you have fitted
to the base of the adaptor plate?
Is it a trim tab mount ?
Del

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2016, 11:16:25 am »

Good morning Derek,
Yes, you are right, it is the starboard trim plane [tab] mount, as indicated in the third bullet point above and the accompanying black and white photos. Using the Kehrer Jet28s means a small compromise in the design set-up here - for the reversing buckets, nozzles and trim planes - but I hope the finished product will look pretty well correct, especially as the whole lot will be radio controlled and working.
Next [although very busy with singing in a concert at the Cathedral this weekend] will be to transpose the little cardboard cut out here onto ali sheet of 0.032" and then cut out and offer up, later trying my hand at aluminium soldering [I have the materials from CupAlloys] - this was because there was no angled ali section that would allow me to do it in one piece. This will be my first attempt and if successful I shall do the same to the staghorn bollards instead of using glues - let's hope it works!
Hope the extra shots of the actual item at RNLI Poole and their plans helps.
Soon be Warwick!
Kim

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2016, 11:27:39 am »

Hi Kim
Thanks for the answer see you at Warwick

Del

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: November 01, 2016, 05:06:21 pm »

Hi Kim, If you are coming to the Club Meeting Tomorrow ( Wed ) can you demonstrate Ally Soldering?.

Len, Scale Sec.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: November 01, 2016, 05:29:04 pm »

All looking good Kim
I will have a closer look at Warwick next week.
Cheers,
Mick

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: November 01, 2016, 05:43:25 pm »

I fitted these jet units too my Pibber, and I drowned my Pibber on its first outing as I hadn't slowed the drop speed or motors and it literally pulled the stern under. looked good but cost me 2 new speed controllers. Got some one to programm my Tx to slow the reverse buckets and motors. Lost that function on my Tx somehow so now wont take here out. Also found that quite powerfull servos are a good thing  for the buckets and the steering due to the pressure of the water being expelled from the nozzles. took me a while to work that out as well. Quite a few servos in the bin.

Still agood build and enjoy the photos and comments.

grumpy old XXX

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2016, 05:30:54 pm »

Yes, G.O.S. [Colin-Stevens], I had bought the Turnigy 959 ali cased servos for that very purpose, they have a very high torque value [I still have two more on back-order], likewise the 'slim' ones to be used for the trim planes [tabs]. You also get ball raced bearings and metal gears - cost more, but cheaper and better in the long run.
You have good days and bad days, whilst some days are just there for experience and today falls into the latter!
Started off this afternoon by re-drawing the little edge piece of the starboard trim plane hinge bracket as the first attempt I over filed on the last edge [Sod's Law]. The next one came out better, so then drilled the two holes required [marking them 'just off' position - 4.5mm instead of 5mm separation - so as the middle bolt did not come on the join line of the two pieces of ali [Sod's Law again]. This is called 'modeller's license - use with caution and discretion and the model will still look right! That done, I was pleased, so decided to try my hand [first time] at aluminium soldering. Decided to start on some large pieces of scrap out of my metals box.
  • First attempt it appeared the heat required was not enough for the solder to flow [it states in the CuPAlloy instructions to heat the metal and when the flux flows apply the solder to the parts, do not heat directly the solder rod. Failed.
  • Then I tried some pieces of ali angle, as being used in the brackets, the solder started to flow, but then so did the actual ali!! Too much heat - failed again.
  • Now I tried two flat pieces and this time all seemed to work and the solder flowed with no melting of the ali. I could pick the result up, but when started to apply pressure I could see the solder had not flowed through and it cracked. Failed again!
  • Had a look at the small angle ali bits and noticed that it had caused the surfaces to 'ripple'. Hmmmmmmm.......!
  • Had another go at the first attempt, after cleaning, and after cooling it seems to have stuck - could not break it off. However, not my neatest bit of soldering.
  • Then I looked at my photos of the actual item and saw that this plate is in fact the same 'black' colour of the rest of the bits in that area, so will glue it tomorrow ready for painting!! Did not have to solder it in the first place - but I have gained some experience to build on in the future.
Well, time for dinner and then off  on a 35 mile round trip to the Model Boat Association monthly meeting, where 17-09 is the Hon. Secretary and Newsletter Editor and Big Ada is the Scale Secretary.
If all the photos do not get posted now I will finish them when I return.
Adios - C.C.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: November 02, 2016, 05:40:52 pm »

Yipes! Kim, we don't want to burn the Pub down.  :o  {-)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: November 02, 2016, 06:05:35 pm »

Len,
Won't do this at MBA-D until I have succeeded, so no worries tonight! See you later.
Here are the balance of photos.
C.C.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: November 02, 2016, 08:54:40 pm »

Hullo Kim.....I do understand your quest for scale sizing and materials.....that said many modeller's would have attempted the fusion process of welding aluminium with similar results  >>:-(

The only respectable rendition I have seen in small scale was via some laser process in a controlled oxygen free environment [cost prohibitive]

Could you consider a thinner section profile of brass angle + plate & silver solder?.....or would the weight preclude such thoughts?

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2016, 11:55:37 am »

After my 'first love' of choral singing's event at the Cathedral last night [1,000+ audience and with the English Chamber Orchestra - ECO - engaged to accompany us, and 125 of us in the choir, along with three renown soloists, to culminate the three weeks of the Canterbury Festival] I am back to my model boats and getting ready for the IMBS at Leamington Spa [Warwick!] this coming weekend.
However, I did spend a reasonable part of Friday in the workshop. Small, but essential progress was made on three fronts:-
  • I adapted the boat [hull] stand from my Trent class 1/12th scale model to fit and support the Shannon better. I have included a few shots for any wishing to comment. 'Furball' recently saw it and said 'showing off a little - aren't we?' or words similar to that. He then had a good look! I have made it from square 'U' section ali from B&Q, added a couple of yacht shroud [] adjusters and pivoted them using sprung 'sleepers'. The adjusters are supported through elongated holes at the top for their adjustment and angled [moving] supports for the hull have little neoprene pads to interact with the hull sides. The back blocks are ali, double sided taped together and a top section of teak sheet added.
  • Then I decided to make the stern deck hatch cover provided by MbD. The main plate already fitted needed the inner ring to be fettled a little. I made the to the onside surface only, supporting it in the small vice to get a straight line and parallel profiled curves. I then very, very slightly fettled the outside edge of the top 'plate' to look correct and gently rounded off the edge. I then glued these two together using the good 'old fashioned' polystyrene glue - ahhhhhhhhhh....the smell!! This fitted nicely, so I then decided to take out the two hinge slots on the top plate - however, this was going to leave a hole. So once done this then had a small piece of styrene card glued underneath - ahhhhhhhhhh... that smell again! This then means it won't sit flat, so a small length of the surround plate was marked and removed with a wide chisel blade - job done. It fitted nicely and awaits, at a later stage, its stainless steel hinge to be fabricated and fitted.
  • Then, just to get a wheelhouse that does not move around on the exhibit for the Show, a started to fit some little angled ali stops - here using the jolly old Gorilla glue - superbly strong. Still have two more to make, but hope to do those this afternoon.
Derek, ['down under'] to answer your questions. I shall look into the 'fusion method' mentioned. I will try not to use brass [on this model, anyway] as I want to use actual ali, just like the real boat - where it shows. That is my intention - only time will tell. I do not want to paint the railings and stanchions or use resin cast ones. I like a challenge and something different in approach of each model. That said, the only part which I intend to make of brass is the forward pulpit rail, as this will be painted 'black' - or very close to it, maybe a hint of blue metallic!
Well, pour myself a sherry and await Sunday lunch, playing with my new [first!!] 'smart phone'. Why do we put ourselves through these pains - setting them up!!??
Canterbury Coxswain

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2016, 12:09:10 pm »

Balance of photos attached.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2016, 12:11:48 pm »

Photos 712 and 714 should have been the other way around. And yes, I did take out a little more of the area for the hinge to sit than marked.
C.C.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2016, 04:03:06 pm »

Hi Kim,
Your progress is as fascinating as ever, the model car suppliers for dummy nuts and cables especially interesting - they stock the obscure items I've been trying to find for donkeys years.

Re your Ali soldering etc, have words with Tony Bollard on the King Lear Model Boat club stand at Warwick,
He's the builder of the huge Fairey Huntsman with twin Honda motors and all the gear box reduction drives are of Ali construction and Lumiwelded.

Tony knows lots about the art of silver smithing/soldering etc (it was the job he wanted to pursue, but became a pattern maker) a real wiz with a blow torch and always willing to help.

Regards Paul

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2016, 07:48:10 pm »

The stand is *really* nice though... Excellent engineering.  :-))

Lance

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2016, 10:55:17 am »

Paul, glad to have been of service regarding the little bits for detailing - I think it was 17-21 [Phil Locke] who put me in touch with a couple of the companies in the USA and Japan and from there it all 'blossomed' and many £s and $s have been spent!! Thanks for the info on Tony's knowledge, I will make a point of buying him several coffees and discussing the subject at 'Warwick'.
Lance, thanks - only joking - but I have to keep those marvellous fella's at Chatham Historic Dockyard happy with something that resembles what holds the boats up at Poole!!
Kim

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2016, 12:55:53 pm »

Hi C C
Two great minds think a like  O0  going to make a stand just like yours!! I think it looks so much better and more realistic than the normal wooden ones  :-)) .All looking great to nice build.

Mike
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2016, 08:25:50 pm »

Hi Kim,
I meet you at Warwick show Saturday , hope it all went well ? One question I meant too ask was what colour should I be painting my Shannon deck, is it a standard RNLI gray ?
Regards Dave.
Regards David

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2016, 07:52:07 pm »

Dave,
I hope to have an answer tomorrow from the RNLI Technical Dept., as the paint appears to be a slightly new shade in gloss around the edge, that is now that I am back from the IMBS at the weekend - busy, busy!
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2016, 08:38:18 pm »

Yes, back from the 'Warwick' IMBS at the weekend where we had a Lifeboat Enthusiasts' Society stand, organised by the dynamic duo of John Owen and Rob Smith. In all ten of us took part in our group and we got 'third equal' Best Stand in Show with the Wickstead MBC, second was the Bourneville MBC and 1st the King Lear MBC - well done to them, they had the 1/6th scale Mersey, Talus tractor and trailer on their stand, now owned and refurbished by Martin Kinghoward.
It was a great three days and I hardly got off the stand due to the amount of interest in my Shannon display and its electrics / water-jet layout. The visitors were in three categories - those that own a Shannon [MbD] and were in build and watching this 'thread', those that wanted or were about to get their Shannon model at the Show and a few that said they were building their own from scratch from the RNLI plans. If any would like to show us where they are in their build by attaching a photo here I would be very pleased. I took orders for another seven Shannon DVDs and one for a Solent class DVD. In all I took £45 for these and the Shannon postcards I had for sale.
What was good on our stand was a new member's [Lesley] superb display of her father's 1/12th scale Solent class lifeboat built 37 years ago and now inherited by her. She has done a lot of research and incorporated this information and some photographs. This too got a lot of attention and she will be the guest speaker at the LBES West Midlands Annual Meeting at the Knightcote MBC event next May. I have attached a few shots of our stand. A nice touch was that Tony Olliff let her have a go of his 1/16th Brede class lifeboat on the pool - she made it look easy for her very first attempt in public of radio control.
Andy Griggs [MbD] was asked to demonstrate his Shannon on the pool both morning and afternoon each day, and as I was the commentator for this side of events its was good to have something different to talk about!!
It was also useful to have a talk to Tony Bollard [King Lear MBC] who offered some good advice on how I should proceed with my aluminium soldering / welding / fusion, this from a response prompted by this very thread.
It was also nice to see Martin [the main man of this wonderful site] taking more photos, sporting a new hair style and even brighter shirt than normal!!
Later I might get time to add a few shots that I took prior to attending the IMBS, getting the water-jet flanges nearer to completion.
Great to meet you all - I can't believe it has come and gone!!
Kim

PS - found these very close to the King Lear MBC stand on Friday, just after the Judges had done their job - was that why they were licking their lips?!! [Sorry Marie, couldn't resist - only joking!!].

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2016, 01:17:53 am »

As promised above, here are the last few bits I did to the Port side water-jet flange plate before going off to the IMBS.
  • Having made the angled aluminium trim plane bottom section I bolted it to the bottom of the plate - this started to be a bit difficult and I kept dropping the little 1.5mm nuts, then I remembered the little set of Knupfer stainless steel spanners I bought at the Dortmund InterModellbau some five years ago at a ridiculous price, but the were 'cute' at the time. They did the job well, so money well spent.
  • In the meantime I had sent off for some stainless steel blackened M2 x 10mm countersunk allen head bolts to put on the black grp water-jet plate to hold to the flange plate and that would eventually go through the transom of the hull. They were from Accu and cost £25.34 inc. p&p for 20 - expensive, but they look better than the straight stainless ones already fitted. These arrived and replaced those fitted.
  • The little side upright was cut out of aluminium sheet and filed to shape. I then fettled the bottom section again - and over did it!! This might just get filled in when finally fitted and sprayed, but it might also get remade!
  • I sprayed the water-jet nozzles red and fitted them
  • I also sprayed the window frames matt black so they stood out when fitted for the display. In reality they will be re-sprayed in a dark grey, like the real mastic colour on the actual boat.
  • I did not have enough time to fit the little black plastic bolt heads around the edge - a job I might do later today. That's about it.
A couple of things I forgot to mention in the last Post above about the IMBS.
  • It was good to meet a number of you following this 'thread' and put a face to a 'handle' [name]. Thanks for coming up and having a chat, that was appreciated.
  • On the Sunday morning, just before the Show started I Skyped my old mucker and LBES member Elwyn Baker and his wife Linda in Melbourne Australia [17-21 had set my computer up for this back in May - just so I could get in touch with him since he emigrated]. They were with us about four years ago at Warwick and he has made the Dungeness Mersey class and their Rother, and we miss them both. They seemed really touched as we all chatted freely with them and showed them our stand. Wonderful thing this IT when it all works!
Well, time to sign off - we're all up to date now. There will not be much done over the next week or so as I have my Company accounts to do and get to my accountant and also a family funeral of an uncle down in the West Country. Maybe when I get back I will attempt to fit those water-jets.
C.C.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 43   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.