Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 435351 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #725 on: February 19, 2019, 04:24:04 pm »

:-))
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #726 on: February 19, 2019, 08:22:41 pm »

Please delete or ignore  :embarrassed: ..........................Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #727 on: February 20, 2019, 12:27:09 am »

As promised - here are photos of the RNLI plans I shall be working from to make a more detailed set of seats for the interior of the Shannon class lifeboat, based on Chris's cast resin set above.
Please note: These plans have been taken at different distances, so will need to be used with care if scaling. They are being shown to see my approach in the build and what goes where. I will be giving a few measurements when I start, so this will give an aide to see the size and enlargement / reduction required when building. However, they are also useful to see:
  • where the seats go and what the screen sizes and shapes are like
  • the floor level [with the engine room below]
  • the angle of the access door to the engine room and fore-peak survivor's cabin
  • the size and shape of the portable salvage pump case [cannister]
  • the drinks urn and First Aid cabinet
  • drink mugs holders and a lot more
I hope this gives an insight and helps with the overall understanding of the wheelhouse interior, especially as the RNLI no longer make the plans for this lifeboat available.

Canterbury Coxswain

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #728 on: March 04, 2019, 08:28:21 pm »

Still have not found the time [and sometimes the inclination!] to properly get on with some earnest Shannon build. But hope to at the weekend or next week - maybe the start of the wheelhouse floor, ready for the first seat build [with detail]. That will require the access hatch into the hull space to be made more exact in its dimensions - something slightly different, before I get back to the stern railings and stanchions and also finish the stern bollard! There are Shows coming where some progress must be shown!!
However, Arno [swiftdoc] in Germany did get into his workshop at the weekend and sent me some photos of the Italian Coastguard Bigliani progress on the telecomms tower lighting and elsewhere on the wheelhouse superstructure. The main thing was it went well and he enjoyed it - what more can you say - something we all ask for when we enter through the door of the workshop!! I think it shows and here are three photos to show where he is at - I really do like the authentic and realistic figures too, brings it to life. Remember, when this is finished, his next build is to start his 1/12th Shannon class lifeboat! What I did like was his 2019 RNLI calendar on the wall............
Kim [C.C.]

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #729 on: March 04, 2019, 08:48:31 pm »

Love it! That mast is icing on the cake  :-)
ANDY

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #730 on: March 04, 2019, 09:22:04 pm »

Thank you so much for your compliments! The figures are a mix of Deans Marine and Fujimi ones. Cutting off the arms and heads made me feel a bit like Frankenstein...

I still have to airbrush some detailing parts and then this project will be finished (it took me about two years). Then it will be the 1/12th Shannon MbD build for me, my first model with jet drives. I cannot wait to start that and your input will surely be a great help for me. :-))

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #731 on: March 05, 2019, 10:49:01 pm »

Sure we'd all love to see more of your work Arno  :-)
I'm nearly as far as I'm content with on my Portgarth.
Shannon build will resume this month at the builders group forum. Praying for an early spring and warm weather.
If you ever want your best pictures hosting at full resolution just email them to me and I'll give you a link to the address to post the images anywhere.
I have routinely been deleting forum membership requests from ALL .gmx email addresses as they are mostly scammers/spammers. Anyone using such an address should contact forum administration in advance of application. Anyone using a false/inacurate email address will not get the membership confirmation so again contact admin to clarify the delay
ANDY

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #732 on: March 27, 2019, 01:39:22 am »

Well, I hope that if Martin and his 'team of Moderators' read this they will be well encouraged to continue the excellent work they do to give us this great website!
During early 2017 'swiftdoc' - Arno in Germany added a few comments to this 'thread'. In August of that year I met him and his wife and younger daughter at the Dungeness RNLI Open Day....................and as they say, 'the rest is history'. We have met on a number of their visits to the UK in the past 20 months and I have also visited them in the Siegen Region of Germany when I went to the Dortmund Intermodellbau last year. Now, most of you will know that my first passion on this planet is Choral singing, so imagine my complete surprise when I got an email a couple of weeks ago to say that 'swiftdoc' [Arno] and 'swiftfrau' were flying over to hear me sing in Mozart's Requiem with the English Chamber Orchestra at Canterbury Cathedral last weekend and then fly back on Monday!! That is some friendship and support that I will never forget to my last day on this planet - many thanks folk, it meant so much and we had a really good time when they visited the afternoon rehearsal [photos here] and then the actual Concert [photos not allowed] in the evening last Saturday, where they were part of an 800+ audience. Sunday saw us meet and have a meal and then head off to Whitstable harbour - a favourite spot of theirs. Some photos are attached of them watching me in the very back row and me watching them from the giddy heights of the eleventh row. They also met fellow model boat builder Dick and his wife, who they met last summer over here. In just over a week I will be back in Dortmund to cover the Intermodellbau Show for the Model Boats magazine, whilst also meeting up with the Schnell family for a few days! What a wonderful friendship this has turned out to be, all down to this wonderful Forum and our model boat hobby.
Speaking of which I hope to be back to some serious Shannon modelling in the next couple of days and then again when I get back from Dortmund, where I will be flying out with 'Delboy1958' and 'lifeboat-Lee'! Unfortunately Mrs. B has been quite unwell since just before Christmas, with not much hope of getting better, so I have now quite a few extra 'chores' to do most days, just to keep us fed and watered and in some sort of order - that said she tries here best to not let matters beat her! So hence the lack of building on this 'thread'. I should think that by now a few of you will have well overtaken me with your builds and might even be on the water in a blue and orange livery - long live the grey primer look!!
I hope to start on the deck cut outs for the wheelhouse 'ingresses' for life-raft [bow] and the water / fuel inlets and their box attachments on the wheelhouse itself. Then a start on the seats and the wheelhouse floor section....................'the best laid plans of mice and men'...................
I trust you are all still out there and enjoying your builds, whatever they may be.
Kim [C.C.]

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #733 on: March 28, 2019, 06:29:07 am »

We had such a wonderful time in Canterbury and Whitstable, thank you Kim so much for making it all possible and spending the time with us. The concert was magnificent and touched us deeply. We will never forget that weekend in all our life.

As Kim has already posted, this friendship would not have been possible without this amazing forum. I am very thankful for that and if the administrators and moderators should read this they should feel proud because of their great job ‚backstage‘

My Bigliani build is nearly finished and I cannot wait to start the Shannon MbD build.

Next week Kim and me will attend the Dortmund Intermodellbau show, Brexit can wait {-)

Kindest regards

Arno

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #734 on: March 28, 2019, 09:06:34 am »

Hi Arno and Kim.
Have a great time in Dortmund, I will be with you in spirit!!
   Alan  17-09

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #735 on: March 28, 2019, 10:43:20 am »

Hi Alan,
We will send you some photos! It is a pity that you will not be with us. Hopefully we will meet each other in July (another friendship which started on this forum) O0

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #736 on: March 28, 2019, 11:12:28 am »

Hi Arno & Kim, have a good trip. Please post lots of photos of the Lifeboats you see on display. Some of those DGzRS models look pretty awesome.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #737 on: March 29, 2019, 12:49:55 pm »

Hi Kim, knowing that you are such a fan of the grey livery, here are a few photos of ON1342 for you to enjoy! They show her just after having the grey primer applied. These were shared on the Lifeboat Enthusiasts Facebook group. This one is apparently destined for Peel, IoM.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #738 on: March 29, 2019, 01:25:05 pm »

Great pictures Charlie. Is that an afloat build? or do you think the rope guides get fitted at a later stage?

ANDY

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #739 on: March 29, 2019, 01:41:23 pm »

Well observed Andy! Peel is a carriage launched station, so if the info posted is accurate and that is definitely where she is going, then i guess the guides must be fitted at a later stage. But i don't have any definitive knowledge about the build process. Maybe Kim will be able to answer this one.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #740 on: March 30, 2019, 12:34:05 pm »

Hi Charlie, Taranis and Alan [17-09],
Charlie - I have just put you onto my 2019 Christmas Card List, you are the first one on it, purely for the photos of that Peel I.O.M. Shannon 13-02!! Grey, grey, grey......looks wonderful. As for the Dortmund Intermodellbau, yes I will Post a good number of the various German lifeboat models that I see there - even those small dioramas which are made from card! And Alan, we shall miss you, but I will toast you with a Brinkoff at Edo's restaurant!
Taranis - the bow section of your Shannon is coming along fine, with some good small detail. Yes, as far as I can remember the stem-head rubber profiled cross-section for the storage of retaining 'Y' strop is added after the boat is complete and painted, as per my photos from the Opening Day of the AWL Centre at Poole HQ. I have come across a company that makes these in the sort of sizes that we would need in 1/12th scale, so another job for when I get back from Dortmund. I have narrowed the choice down to three profiles, so will order a metre of each and make a decision when I have the physical products in front of me.

Recently Arno and myself, independently, got the resin wheelhouse seats from Chris [MrPlasticFantastic] and because of our interest in F! and Sortscar racing visited some of our supply sites for our models and came up with buying exactly the same items - for each other - just like a couple of twins!! Spooky! I have attached them here so folk can treat themselves.......or not....... they do not come exactly cheap for six seats, but we have decided to eke out two seats from each set, with the help of the 3mm polyester blue tape, purchased from a haberdasher's shop here in Canterbury. I hope the detail for the parts numbering will show up in the photos. If not I will Post the details later, when I have viewed it.
This brings me onto my last point. Way back when Andy G. [MbD] made the first hulls, decks, wheelhouses and window frames [June 2015] he suddenly noticed [on a visit to the Dungeness RNLI Station with me] that his first few hulls had been made with a straight top bow spray rail! He immediately put this right - along with a slightly more flared top to the hull at the bow - and all subsequent hulls had the curve [that almost follows the sheer line] - this then means that when the lettering and numbering is added it has to be spaced at an unusual angle/postion within the boundary area between the mid-spray rail and the top one here mentioned.

Well, had better get on with a little more 'housework' and gardening!

Kim [C.C.]

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #741 on: March 30, 2019, 01:09:38 pm »

That's an old picture of mine Kim and I'm back building now Portgarth is advanced enough for my taste currently. Hopefully she'll be well advanced by Warwick show but not sure about the logistics
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #742 on: March 31, 2019, 02:19:59 pm »

Retirement is making a huge difference. Almost completed my stanchions from where things will move on at quite a pace. Might be complete for Warwick yet.
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #743 on: April 21, 2019, 10:19:55 am »

Happy Easter Kim AKA Mr Grey  {-)  Arno and everyone else  :-))

Do you realise how many greys there are  %%  but I've yet to find the orange grey  {-)

For the anchor pad

ANDY

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #744 on: June 30, 2019, 11:44:26 am »

Kim has invited me to post some details of my build of the Models by Design Shannon kit. I will not 'hijack' his thread but post some photos that might be of general interest.
I have started my build setting back the front of the wheelhouse about 5 mm as Kim took the measurements on the original boat at Dungeness (I will build this version as well as I have seen this one 'in the flesh' - and hopefully will do again at the Open Day soon!). As I am a rivet counter as well, I decided to shorten the wheelhouse as Kim showed in this thread. I cut off the front section leaving it as one part so that I did not face problems reproducing the slope (Kim cut them off in three pieces as you will notice at the beginning of this thread, so I made profit from his experience).
I applied three layers of glassfibre cloth at the inside to reinforce the section. When I sanded down the hatch frame the material got too thin so that another three layers of glassfibre were laminated underneath. The new hatch frame is made from 0.5 and 2.0 mm styrene.
So the start was made, Kim and me being 'Shannon twins'! :-))
Kind regards
Arno

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #745 on: June 30, 2019, 12:09:09 pm »

Welcome my very good friend - Arno,
Yes, indeed we have met over the past 'three' years many times, both in England [UK - just!] and Germany and we have been to each other's homes, in fact I have stayed with the wonderful Schnell family on two occasions - superb hospitality. The fact that Arno and I not only share a a 'love' of RNLI lifeboats, but also Formula 1 motor racing, sports and performance cars and also classical music [he and his wife flew over from Germany to the Mozart Concert I was singing in last March at Canterbury Cathedral - true friendship in my book], plus leaf tea and good coffees, indeed makes us Anglo-German 'twins'. Long may it continue.
Arno, I'm so pleased you took up the invite of sharing this build slot on MBM, especially as it is the same lifeboat and model base being used! :-))

Well, I will be back in the next few days with plenty of news to get me back up to schedule, otherwise Arno will have finished his Shannon and I will still be putting the upper steering position gate in place!!
It is good to see Arno's start on the wheelhouse and I can guarantee that this will be a well thought through and neat model build, if his Bigliani and model car collection is anything to go by!
Thanks for the 'kick start' Arno O0 - happy modelling!

Kim [Canterbury Coxswain]

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #746 on: July 09, 2019, 02:40:36 pm »

Arno [swiftdoc] progresses....................whilst I have still to get 'the spark plugs' to work!!
He has now been able to mark out the window and wheelhouse side access recesses, drill, use cutting disc and Proxxon sander to get the basic aperture shapes cut and they now await the final trim to the inside line of each window frame. I said it would be a neat build. Q.E.D.
Kim [Canterbury Coxswain]

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #747 on: July 13, 2019, 08:12:14 pm »

I have completed the stretchers as you can see on the photos. To achieve the correct shape, you have to draw a circle with a radius of 2.31 m. I did that on the floor, using a strong thread and a pencil. Remember to add the strength of the deck rims when transferring the template to the aluminium profiles! (about 2 mm in my case) I profiled the stretchers using a jig saw and a Permagrit sanding block.

I decided to glue brass washers underneath the deck as the tension of the deck was too strong for two countersunk screws to hold it down without without them.

Next step will be profiling the wheelhouse to the camber of the deck. :-))

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #748 on: July 14, 2019, 05:19:00 pm »

Arno - so pleased that you are here and providing such a good build of another Shannon class lifeboat. When I was with you at your home in April I can remember seeing this in your workshop, awaiting the start, once your Bigliani was complete. So, yes this will keep us all enthused. Recently others have requested the little gate inserts we worked on together, so more MbD Shannons are being purchased and built throughout the UK and EC. I am looking forward to seeing you in person [and other family members] later this month, here in Kent and especially at the RNLI Dungeness Open Day on Sunday 4th August.
Charlie - before I went off to the Dortmund Intermodellbau you asked that I take some lifeboat photos and post them here. This first batch are from the Rettungkreuzermodelle [Rescue Cruiser Models] and are by Michael Ruttel and Reiner Zapatker, seen here with a message for you. Well, before I get back to my Shannon build I will get us up to date with a few Shows and the model lifeboats seen this year. I hope others are inspired and enjoy the photos from like-minded modellers within the EC!! How much longer will we be able to use that phrase?
As those in 'Trumpland' would say - 'enjoy'!
Kim [Canterbury Coxswain].

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #749 on: July 14, 2019, 05:26:36 pm »

.........and the rest........sorry about those on their side, but they were the right way up when I posted them! Does anyone know how I can correct this, please? {:-{
C.C.
Coxswain10" border="0

Coxswain9" border="0

Coxswain8" border="0

Coxswain7" border="0

Coxswain6" border="0

Coxswain5" border="0

Coxswain4" border="0

Coxswain3" border="0

Coxswain2" border="0

Coxswain1" border="0

Page created in 1.816 seconds with 22 queries.