Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 435338 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #750 on: July 15, 2019, 06:11:42 pm »

Hi Kim,
Thanks for the excellent photos, and a special thanks to Herr Michael and Herr Reiner for their efforts! Those models look magnificent in your photos, but probably even better actually up close. I have read your excellent Dortmund write up in Model Boats, but the advantage of a forum like this is that you can view the photos in a much larger size, which is easier on the eyes.
Charlie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #751 on: July 15, 2019, 09:36:22 pm »

.........and the rest........sorry about those on their side, but they were the right way up when I posted them! Does anyone know how I can correct this, please? {:-{
C.C.

Fixed!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #752 on: July 28, 2019, 12:13:18 am »

Thanks Charlie for your comments and Martin for fixing the photos orientation - is there a chance to do the same to the two photos in #748 - please? Thanks.
Just adding a few more lifeboat photos off the Modelbouwgroep Nederland stand at the Dortmund Intermodellbau.
Kim [C.C.]

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #753 on: July 29, 2019, 03:16:09 am »

The final few photos from the Dortmund Intermodellbau - they are of those on the SMC Murgtal stand.
After these, in the next few days, I shall return to some model building of the Shannon Class boats, starting with the update shots of the work that Arno [swiftdoc] has completed recently.

Canterbury Coxswain

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #754 on: July 29, 2019, 02:39:19 pm »

Hmmmmm!!!!

One can dream to aspire to that level of perfection.  <:( %%

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #755 on: July 29, 2019, 05:55:40 pm »

The 'swiftdoc' has landed...................here in Kent and have just got back from a wonderful day with Arno and his 'ladies'.
As promised, the photos of the work he completed before he left the Siegen area of Germany and now he is looking forward to seeing the real boat in action at RNLI Dungeness in Kent on this coming Sunday [4th] at their Open Day. Do come if you are reading this and can make it. It's on from 1000hrs until 1600hrs - there will be burgers, beer and wine, with candy floss and ice-creams [Mr. Whippy 99s] and plenty more to see and do [raffle and plant stand], plus a live launch at 1400hrs! So long as the weather is OK and wind not too strong I hope to have my gazebo and display there too.
Well done Arno, this is starting to take shape nicely and I can already see where the K&S brass you bought today will be going!
Kim [C.C.]

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #756 on: July 29, 2019, 11:56:36 pm »

Declan,
Dreams quite often do come true!! Inspiration by others allows for one to make an attempt to 'raise the game' in our own builds. This is another good 'spin off' from this Forum.................seeing others' models [here the same Shannon] and reading their build techniques and methods and quite often learning from their mistakes too! Keep enjoying putting together your Shannon 'package' and doing your research - maybe your vessel will soon get allocated to your Station. As you can see from my comments above, Arno and I will be at RNLI Dungeness this coming Sunday! Great fun and a wonderful Boat crew and Shore crew too.
Regards,
Kim

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #757 on: July 30, 2019, 06:31:43 am »

Hi Kim             Can you please ask Swift doc or do you know if there are any plans available for the SAR boats that you have shown in the pictures above and if so were could I get a set etc. I am thinking of building something different than a Shannon.   Cheers John

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #758 on: July 30, 2019, 08:39:22 am »

Hi John,

Are you thinking of this type of model or the smaller ones? - I think I may have some drawings/plans

Regards

C-3PO (Proud owner of one your scratch built Shannon's)
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #759 on: July 30, 2019, 09:47:02 am »

Hi John,

have a look at this link:

https://seenotretter-shop.de/schatzkiste/modellbau.html

This is the official shop of the DGzRS. They sell a variety of plans which cover the different classes of boats. Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Arno

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #760 on: July 30, 2019, 03:44:34 pm »

John,
Arno has done us all a big 'favour' there. I have a leaflet in my lifeboat material somewhere [from a Dortmund Intermodellbau visit], but after a long look could not find it. I look forward to seeing which one you choose, the scale you build it at and how many other lifeboat model builders follow suit! All the best and please keep us updated, either with some news here or another of your beautiful 'full builds' on this Forum, please. Good to 'hear from you again'.
Kim [C.C.]

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #761 on: July 30, 2019, 11:35:54 pm »

Hi CPO yes something like that I have no idea on what size that is got to start some were.
Thanks John

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #762 on: July 30, 2019, 11:44:40 pm »

Hi Swiftdoc many thanks for the link to were I can get plans had a look but I will have to work out how to translate into English and then see what I like. Will see first what CPO has and go from there.Hi Kim  I think what ever I build it will be in 1/12th scale all I have to do is get my Mo Jo back not touched any thing to do with models for the last 6 months got to find some thing to take up my time.
Thanks all John

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #763 on: July 31, 2019, 10:39:24 pm »

Super photos Arno  :-)

Can I ask ? regarding your Shannons (Arno Kim), are you fitting the recovery cable channel down the bow?
I fitted mine and lovingly shaped it but after many sailings it was quite damaged from hitting debris at the waterline.
I've recommenced my Speedline in the hope of completing her this year. I've just finished installing a brass channel into the original and blended in with fusion adhesive. I think this should cope with most normal impacts. Being black when finished it will be easy to touch up too.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #764 on: July 31, 2019, 11:25:02 pm »

Hi Andy,
I have in fact researched into using actual rubber profile channel to match and fix, just like the way the actual boats are completed. At the moment I have got three types that all look correct in profile, so I am going to request and pay for the three sample lengths and then decide from there. I will Post the result, once achieved successfully, to my taste.
Actually got back into the workshop today, for the first time in many months, and stripped off the ten sections of wonderfully tactile soft-set resin fenders, took the Gorilla black and clear double-sided adhesive tape off and have then re-affixed with a new type 'Stix2Anything' and this is a thinner depth of tape - more like 0.75mm than the Gorilla 2mm. First impressions are that it is a lot better product - but then it should be, it's German! This gives a good temporary fix to allow cutting and fixing and working out the 'gaps' where black silicon joins will be put in place on the final fix with glue. But more details of this next week, after the Dungeness Open Day this Sunday. This is just to let folk know I am back and running, while I still have a lot of domestic duties to do each day [due to my wife's illness], but have managed to completely tidy [almost] the workshop and take some items to the tip and also pass on items too good to 'bin'.
The last couple of weeks have had many requests and questions regarding the Shannon class and also requests for DVDs of my Shannon photos - this all takes extra time too. Speaking to Andy G. today, he tells me he has sold ten more Shannons during the past two and an half weeks.......that's good going.
The main 'lift' to my spirits at the moment is seeing Arno and the 'ladies' again for a couple of weeks!
The attached photos are from Arno's outing today to the Festival at Broadstairs, where the Ramsgate AWL and RIB attended. As I write this they are enjoying the firework display to end the Festival.........................tomorrow we are having a 'model' chat day together and also hoping to enjoy an Indian meal at a fine local curry house.
Kim [C.C.]

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #765 on: July 31, 2019, 11:36:25 pm »

Thanks Kim

FYI I will be fitting Jet drives to my MBD hull when I receive some revised parts. The 28mm jets are from OceanWorks Hong Kong and a worthy alternative to Kehrer with a realistic looking Reversing bucket. Victor will also make trim tabs and intake grills when I give him some info after fitting his jets.

ANDY

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #766 on: August 01, 2019, 09:28:41 am »

Hi Taranis

Looking forward to seeing any installation photos on your build blog.  :-))

Declan

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #767 on: August 03, 2019, 11:57:53 pm »

Dear Kim
What have you in mind for access to the motors once the deck is glued in place?
I also prefer my servos for the trim tabs to be mounted direct above so perhaps access those through the hatches
ANDY

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #768 on: August 04, 2019, 01:46:06 am »

Andy,
Two things for me here, regarding your question:
  • I bought some 'flat' slimline servos [I think they are Turnigy - just about to get some sleep before up and off by 0700hrs to Dungeness and had a long day getting everything prepared, so will not go back into the workshop] that the 'aero-boys' use and put them in the wings to operate the wing flaps - hence they have quite a lot of torque for the job in hand, but are nice and small with low profile - I hope they will be effective! I will probably make a workable set-up on the bench, before putting them into the boat.
  • I have not yet decided whether to fully bond the deck into place once all is up and running or else to add very small circular styrene discs [around 0.35mm] over the deck securing screw heads, before I then spray with textured deck paint. they should hardly show - but again I will make a little sample set-up off the boat to see if they are obscure enough. Then should there be a problem, the deck can be removed. However, I too will also attempt to make the stern hatches work and give access to the electrical works below. Still a little way off this yet, but always ideas going through my mind when stuck in 'traffic jams' and the like.
Kim [C.C.]

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #769 on: August 04, 2019, 06:10:23 am »

Hi Andy I like the idea some thing like what I used on mine my servos were a lot smaller than the ones you are using as I did not have the space between the deck and the platform. I thing that yours is not quite to scale as of the real boat so it gives you more room. The only problem is how do you fasten the hatches in place so you can remove them to work on the servos?
Hi Kim if you fasten your deck down like you say with covered screws how would you manage about putting the deck on with the rubber bumper in place?
John

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #770 on: August 04, 2019, 12:26:53 pm »

I definitely don't like the many screws idea as a permanent affair.

Having just cut the main hole in the deck the ideal donor hatch panel material presented itself  {-)

I will of course have to transfer the bollard base.

I will make the hatch and surround thicker and it will be held in place by magnets. The bollard will be the means to lift it off. Pretty sure I can make the Joint only a hair line.

Hopefully I can fit the servos so I can service them within the restriction. Certainly access to lubrication points and couplings will be ok
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #771 on: August 07, 2019, 08:37:29 am »

Some measurements for the placement of stanchions would be very useful just now. No matter how I do it just doesn't seem right. At the moment I'm thinking of using the fender joints and cleat cutouts as the best indicators. Example, the front stanchion has a leg either side of a the first fender joint.
I think the aft stretcher at 10.5" clashes too possibly
Thanks
ANDY

lankyandy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #772 on: August 07, 2019, 10:47:10 am »

Can I just ask where you got the stand your building the model on? Or did you make it yourself? Thanks

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #773 on: August 07, 2019, 11:18:05 am »

Andy, I will point you in the right direction........................
LankyAndy - if you look at pages 23, 24 and 25 on this thread you will have the answer..............
Cheers,
Kim [C.C.]

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #774 on: August 07, 2019, 11:27:37 am »

Can I just ask where you got the stand your building the model on? Or did you make it yourself? Thanks

It's plumber 40mm waste pipe. 8x90 bends 2xT's Not up to Display standards but handy for everything else including working with the hull on its side
ANDY

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.