Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 435401 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #775 on: August 07, 2019, 11:28:42 am »

Andy, I will point you in the right direction........................
LankyAndy - if you look at pages 23, 24 and 25 on this thread you will have the answer..............
Cheers,
Kim [C.C.]

Thank you Kim  :-))  The Speedline is different measurements
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

lankyandy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #776 on: August 07, 2019, 11:44:02 am »

Much appreciated

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #777 on: August 07, 2019, 04:04:27 pm »

Last week I actually got into the workshop and did a few minor bits of work, which I will catch up on here.
  • Firstly I decided to start cutting out the sections of the deck upstand on the Port side, ready in the next couple of weeks to start making the boxes down the same side of the wheelhouse and then the infills for the sections taken out here
  • You will notice that I have included a photo of a saw blade lubricant [like a wax stick] that I use - boy, did it make a hard job become a delight!
  • I also un-soldered the upper steering position gate insert and put back in its place one with both the holes and lettering [stencil font and laser cut in Germany]. This has yet to have the weld lines put in the correct eight places on each side.
  • When viewed it will be noticed that the hinges [temporary] are askew - it was 0245hrs in the workshop on Saturday morning a few hours before I left for Dungenss RNLI!!] and on the photos that will follow this Post that the assembly of the same stern area has small gaps. This is due to the fact that it sat as a dry assembly on my stand and kept getting knocked and hence little gaps appeared. When they have had a primary spray of the orange [come back in 2021!!] I will then glue these parts together and then give a couple of final coats of orange.
Nothing more, but hope to start catching up on finishing off some of the previously started fixtures here in the next couple of weeks.
Later I hope to Post a few of the photos from last Saturday's RNLI Dungeness Open Day.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #778 on: August 07, 2019, 04:08:47 pm »

.... the final few photos.
Two points:
  • the little dentist style chisel, honed to perfection, takes off any excess solder when required to be flat like this
  • do you like my nice new comfortable 'bar stool' seat - I could have got it in black, charcoal, red or blue, but I thought that Belcher grey would be preferable!
C.C.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #779 on: August 07, 2019, 06:19:03 pm »

Stool is great  :-))  I stand all day then wonder why I have lower back ache
ANDY

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #780 on: August 07, 2019, 11:08:57 pm »

So last Saturday's RNLI Dungeness Station's Open Day has come and gone. It was good that Arno [Swiftdoc] and his family had planned to be here for this and it was good to see them for a good part of the day and also my good friend Dick [a member of the U3A Model Boat Building Course I ran from my home for five years] and his wife. We all went for a superb fish & chip meal at the end of the day at the famous Pilot Inn, almost alongside the lifeboat station and frequented by the crew too.
The day started at the Station for me at 0800hrs where I set-up ready for the 1000hrs start. I decided to take the Shannon [based on their lifeboat], an earlier version model of one of their's - the 41' Aldeburgh Class 'RNLB Charles Cooper Henderson, a static diorama built by John Sanders - and five of the Jane Hart official RNLI 175 years miniature lifeboat sculptures in resin, alongside some of the lifeboat memorabilia I have acquired - helmet, stanchions, compass and lifebelts. In all my collecting boxes yielded £45.82, which considering the number places that had boxes, I was pleased with. This did include some monies for my postcards and also the last two Shannon DVDs of photos I had sold. There were other stands with the armed police unit, the British Sub-Aqua Society, the Romney Wine, Beer and Cider stall, burgers, candy-floss, ice creams, a massive 26+ prize raffle with large screen LED TV as 1st prize, cakes stalls and information tables. This really is a superb day and event! At 1400hrs the lifeboat was launch, much to the enjoyment of the 500+ crowd. Prior to that 17-09, the Dover Severn Class lifeboat passed by, so too five Royal Navy Archer Class P2000s and the Coastguard helicopter flew over from Lydd airport.
Here are some photos to give a feel of the day. Seeing as I was staying on my stand to interact with the folk that did not go down for the launch, my hand held photos of the launch were all taken from at least 200 metres away on the edge of my gazebo - hence the poorer quality to the 'action' lifeboat shots. Finally, there was a mishap when the retaining 'Y' strop was released by the SeaCatch button on the upper steering position it flung forward, but went to the right [starboard] and impacted on the spray rail, causing damage!
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #781 on: August 07, 2019, 11:14:50 pm »

.......the final photos..............

C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #782 on: August 07, 2019, 11:18:35 pm »

Ugh.............the curse of the 'portrait' photos has re-occurred. If Martin or another Moderator can put them the right way up, that would help. They did start out in the correct orientation........am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
C.C.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #783 on: August 13, 2019, 06:44:15 pm »

Hi Kim
The left and right angles here are not the same? I thought they ought to be? Have I missed something. I noticed as I'm now cutting away at the cabin to accommodate
ANDY

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #784 on: August 14, 2019, 01:07:47 am »

Ugh.............the curse of the 'portrait' photos has re-occurred. If Martin or another Moderator can put them the right way up, that would help. They did start out in the correct orientation........am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
C.C.

No.... it's just the way some camera / phones  work Kim.   {:-{

Fixed!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #785 on: August 14, 2019, 03:09:08 am »

Martin - many thanks for doing this and for giving the reason why.

Andy - you are right, now I am looking at it. I've had a look at mine and I will alter the Port side[size=78%], [/size][/size]by bringing the outer edge to mirror the Starboard side and then alter the sloping inner slope to run parallel. Seeing as yours is resin this should be easier, whilst mine is styrene. I hope that will do.  Or maybe the other way around, depending on the top edge of the wheelhouse, I'll have to have another look. Either way, both sides need to be the same........as on the plans![size=78%]

Kim [C.C.]

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #786 on: August 14, 2019, 06:40:57 am »

Hi Kim,
Looks like you had a good day at Dungeness. On the same day, Selsey had their open day, so I went along to see their Shannon 13-20. I have uploaded a launch video, plus several others.

https://youtu.be/q58AFTE9mzI

Charlie

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #787 on: August 14, 2019, 09:27:40 am »

Thanks for confirming Kim
I already last night cut the port side edges off and glued some resin offcuts to the outer edge which has pretty much fixed it  :-))
ANDY

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #788 on: August 14, 2019, 09:43:16 am »

Charlie - what a superb video of the launch.........I'll forgive you for not being at Dungeness, you were missed! You got yourself a good position, That will be enjoyed by many visitors here, thanks. It also shows nicely the difference in the main aerial lengths, the Port side being somewhat shorter, its on the plans, but gets missed by quite few folk.

Andy - sorry about that, at least I will now correct mine before it's too late, thanks. I will look forward to seeing your 'stages' of correction on your thread later. This will help all the other builders, so thanks for pointing this out. :-))

Kim

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #789 on: August 14, 2019, 09:56:21 am »

A little bit to do but not a hard job. A bit of left over Speedline in on the act  {-)

The side wall I think is going to be short ? my cabin rear corners are 140mm off the deck. I'll see later today

Meanwhile

ANDY

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #790 on: August 14, 2019, 11:14:38 am »

Andy,
I have to say that that is a very smart water-jet set-up assembly and inlet grille. It will be worthy of a 6"x6" mirror underneath, if and when on display at a Show, just to 'show it off' - I know I would!
Kim

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #791 on: August 14, 2019, 11:29:00 am »

OceanWorks I think have made a real effort to fill a hole in the market. Good luck to them and hopefully they will trial successfully
I will be focusing on nothing else once they arrive
ANDY

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #792 on: August 18, 2019, 11:37:36 am »

We spent a beautiful holiday in Kent and attended the Open Day at the Dungeness lifeboat station two weeks ago. It is the biggest reward of this forum that we became friends with Kim which makes a holiday unique. We share not only the modelling hobby but other interests as well. Long may it continue!!

I post some photos of the launch as Kim had to stay at his gazebo and could only take photos from far. I was standing at the portside and therefore did not witness the strap hitting the bow (see #781 of this thread). I only heard the bang! Modellers who wish to build a working hatch will have to make an axe and a hammer ok2

You can see the shingle spray when the boat returns to the beach. It is most impressive to see when the boat hits the ground as they return at a high speed. The crew have to pick quite a lot of pebbles from the grilles of the water-jet inlets before bringing the boat back into the lifeboat station.

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #793 on: August 18, 2019, 11:39:38 am »

....and the second batch of photos....

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #794 on: August 18, 2019, 12:17:10 pm »

Thanks Arno for these. The last shot of the first batch showing the 'reverse buckets using full power' takes me back to Andy G's model at Headcorn, the first time he used it [that's when I thought - 'the set-up on Kehrers works and anything better will be a bonus'].......shown here on the thread, somewhere........your real life photo, though, is just great.  :-))
Cheers my good friend......missing you all greatly.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #795 on: August 18, 2019, 03:40:56 pm »

The 'klein jagdhund' was pleased to see the family return home safely from Kent to the Siegen area!  :-)
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #796 on: August 28, 2019, 05:06:21 pm »

Recently Mr Plastic [Fantastic], down there in Burgundy, sent me some more photos of his seats, monitors and interior wheelhouse floor-pan tray. Arno and I have already got the seat and backrest swabs, along with the arm-rests and 'gimballs'. We are happy to build the rest ourselves, in much the same way as Chris has done here. And elsewhere we have also found the scale seat-belts, via our model 1/12th scale racing car interests. However, there are those that might want some of the kits / pieces that Chris is offering. He has advertised them elsewhere and says that quite a few folk have ordered them. In recent weeks I have dealt with over thirty requests for measurements, details, DVDs of Shannon photos, all of this takes time, but at least I know they are being built - out there somewhere!
Here are the prices and details offered by Chris and straight from his email. You might need to PM him if your order is smaller, to get the actual postage for your 'wants'. Please deal with him direct. He is Mr Plastic here on Model Boat Mayhem.

'Interior Kit' costs as follows:

Seats = £5 each
Base  = £2 each
Monitors  = £8 for 3
Interior tray  = £100
p&p from Burgundy in France is £25 [as the parcel weighs in at 1.9kgs]
Total for a full kit is £175 / Euros 187

A commissioned fully built interior is £290 / Euros 300 which includes the p&p [but the harnesses are extra].

I just want to say that I am not related to Chris, or in partnership with him. In fact Arno and I bought our resin cast seat items at the going rate!! That's Brexit for you, from both sides of the Channel!!

I hope this might be of use to some of those following this 'thread' and the build of their Shannons.

I am hoping to be back building this Friday.......it's not been the last nine months that I [or Mrs. B] would have wished for.............................

Canterbury Coxswain

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #797 on: August 28, 2019, 06:01:52 pm »

Just bringing " Saving lives at sea " is back on again ( New series ).

Len.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #798 on: August 28, 2019, 06:03:11 pm »

Just bringing " Saving lives at sea " is back on again ( New series ).

Len.
Watched last night really good  :-)) 
ANDY

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #799 on: August 31, 2019, 11:45:07 am »

Good to see Len [Big Ada] and his large tanker at Mote Park recently and included him in my Model Boats article reviewing that and the Cygnets MBCs 60th Anniversary. Now the reason I mention that is because Len knows that I am a self-confessed rivet counter and a founder member of their Society!
Yesterday I got back into the workshop for a while and decided I would start to tidy up one or two areas that I have already started on the Shannon. Now, the Shannon for me is three BIG 'Ws' - Water-jets, windows and weld joints! And these are the three areas I want to 'major' on as the build progresses. To further this I have not only the 2,500+ photos of the Class, but some 30+ pages of my own notes and measurements from the days and weeks I have spent on the boats that appear at Dungeness [courtesy of the long suffering crew and mainly engineer Trevor!]. I also have a notated plan / schedule of all the ways that I aim to use in achieving these aims - noticing that others are also going in the same direction on their builds.
So, before going any further, look at the first two photos below and see if you can spot the differences! I did not!! I used the first photo and cut my weld 'lines', mixed some J.B. Weld [metal type epoxy resin glue] and positioned. Not as easy as I had hoped for, but some one hour later got as far as the stage in photos three and four. It was then time to do 'some household chores'.
There is a God! This morning I was about to finish the last three small weld lines, when...................the photo I was using [photo 4] showed a different number of weld lines! Photo 1 is from 13-04 [RNLB Storm Rider] and photo 2 is from 13-02 [RNLB The Morrell]. I was basing my work on the wrong photo  {-) . So I will take off the middle one on the gate upright and add either that or another piece in between the two already in position on the curved rail. One of my very good friends, Dick, when he reads this will say 'get a life Kim!'. It's all in days work as a R.C.!
Canterbury Coxswain

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.