Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 435332 times)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #800 on: August 31, 2019, 01:03:57 pm »

that definitely counts as rivet counting O0

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #801 on: August 31, 2019, 01:05:07 pm »

that definitely counts as rivet counting O0
What about the number of ripples in a weld run  %%
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #802 on: August 31, 2019, 03:05:50 pm »

You're both right........but my 1/12th welder said he could not drop his standard to that of the actual boat fabricator!!
However...............when I came to make the amendment, I then noticed that on 13-02 the complete set of welds go in a clockwise direction, so I had to take off the other two 'welds' on the radius part of the frame and re-position so they follow in the correct direction......as now per the attached photo. I have just watched Manchester United play Southampton............great game, and now the Wales v Ireland rugby, followed by the Belgium GP Qualifying for tomorrow. After that I will clean these weld joints up, using Isopropyl alcohol [a tip picked up from my colleagues at the Faversham Military Modelling Group], who use this technique when cleaning up the minute pieces of etched brass on their models........which make my models look like I have only just started on this hobby!! Wonderful.
Tomorrow I will make something slightly different and needed to be done down both sides..................
Kim

lifeboat-Lee

• Shipmate
« Reply #803 on: August 31, 2019, 05:42:08 pm »

Hi Mr kim,
 Well done in recreating the weld detail,
 However I think this time round the welds look a little over scale.😱
 I was counting the ripples and wonder did you check this too 😂😂😂
 You know that I’m a welder- Tig  by trade so it’s all in the finish product.
 Only teasing you buddy keep up the great work and have enjoyed reading
 the progress  of yours and others on this thread.👍👍

Lee

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #804 on: August 31, 2019, 06:13:34 pm »

Hi Lee,
It's good to hear from you - this time next week we shall be at the Southern Model Show at Headcorn Aerodrome.....are you and the other two reprobates hoping to be there? That should prompt a response from Del Boy!!
Have you progressed with 13-03 yet? I heard that the Severn went to another 'slipway' here in Kent!
Regarding the St. Albans MES Show, will you have anything new? I have liaised with Jeff and he says we are 'graced' with your company for both days again. I might not bring quite so much, so do feel free to bring something new.
Give my regards to the 'Budget Co-ordinator'.......any new trucks recently?
Cheers,
Kim

lifeboat-Lee

• Shipmate
« Reply #805 on: September 01, 2019, 10:05:58 am »

Hi Kim, yes looking forward to Headcorn show and the reprobates will be in attendance 😂
No more work done on 13-03 as yet, too much work on so getting enough time to build as yet  <*<

The Severn is on its way to Kent  so our friend will be happy when he gets it👍
Del will reply I’m sure on this thread 😂
I may take Eiswette for a change to show off the work done since you last saw her.

See you next weekend

Lee

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #806 on: September 02, 2019, 08:10:45 am »

Hi Kim and Lee
Yes I am watching still.. and looking forward to Headcorn.Lee I agree the welds are 0.0001mm to wide  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Del

17-21

• Full Mayhemer
  • I love lifeboats,but don't tell the wife!!
    • Phils Rc Models
« Reply #807 on: September 03, 2019, 12:04:21 pm »

See you all there then, looks like I will have my 2nd Severn build on the water before you Kim :} :} :} :} :}

Phil.
Retired from Chertsey :-))

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #808 on: September 03, 2019, 04:10:42 pm »

Well, there's a surprise!! Look forward to seeing you Phil.
Just spent most of the afternoon pencilling the Argentinian dialect Spanish pronunciation into a score for tonight's Choral rehearsal and then refreshing myself with the Russian pronunciations for the Rachmaninov Midnight vespers. The things we do 'for fun' and to think I pay for this pleasure. Mrs. B. says I cannot even speak English properly!!!!!!!
Kim

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #809 on: September 08, 2019, 01:52:19 pm »

I have built the four bollards using the parts that come with the semi-kit from Models by Design. I replaced the 5 mm diameter tube and used 6 mm one as this is more to scale. The countersunk screws are stainless steel ones from Knupfer. I sanded the top plates down to a thickness of 1.3 mm.
For the first time I tried the technique I was told by 17-09 (I am sure you will read this, so a huge thanks to you!) to make some weld lines. I applied PVA glue and when it started to cure, shaped it using a tooth pick.

The thin base plate is made from 0.5 mm plasticard and will be glued to the deck.

I hope to find the time to paint the bollards next week, using Alclad semi matte aluminium.
Make sure that the slots of all the screws are in line as they are on the Dungeness boat ;)
Arno

Martin, please turn the pictures, when I posted them, they were not upside down, thanks!

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #810 on: September 13, 2019, 04:13:43 pm »

Well, great to have Arno add his latest Shannon detail, in a very busy lifestyle...........
Meanwhile Chris is coming to the end of his fifth [!!!] MbD Shannon build [another commission heading from Burgundy to Kent], here shown alongside his own version of 13-04. I am soon to collect another MbD Shannon and bring this back for Chris at the Warwick Show......likewise another commission build.
So, we have the 'worker', the 'semi-retired' and the retired [me]........who is building slowest? Yep, me. I might find time to Post my latest 'box' build tonight or tomorrow........but don't hold your breath........I am busy writing up the Model Boats article from last week at Headcorn - Southern Model Show, having edited some 1,000+ photos [mainly off the motor-drive sequences].
Cheers,
Canterbury Coxswain[/me]

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #811 on: September 13, 2019, 04:30:06 pm »

In Fairness Kim, We had a few former lifeboat crew that when they called it a day, always said they wondered how they had any time to do 'lifeboat work' they were that busy. In fact, one joked that he wanted to come back.. to get a rest {-)

Declan

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #812 on: September 14, 2019, 12:12:47 pm »

Thanks Declan, the last fourteen years of retirement has been a bit like that........just can't fit it all in.......but I don't get bored!

So, last week I actuallt got back into the workshop and decided to make the wheelhouse 'nose' Port side life-raft container storage space. This immediately think of 'risk management' training I had delivered and the 'x' and 'y' axes [co-ordinates] on a basic risk grid - the 'likelyhood / probability' and 'impact' factors. The reason for this was that the wheelhouse was going to be fitted and taken off many, many times, the damage most likely to happen was to be on this little box, hitting the deck on re-fitting each time. Hence it had to be strong. The likelihood was high and the impact high also! Therefore:
  • I decided that it would be made in grp pre-form sheet [just a laid-up thin sheet of fibre glass and gel coat at approx. 1.25mm]
  • it would be 5 min. epoxy glued provisionally
  • then UV glued [Bondic] on the inside joints - which would give the 'meniscus' curve at the join
  • then covered with epoxy resin and glass fibre tape
  • finally the same process would be used when gluing it onto the inside of the inside of the wheelhouse.......
  • but two shaped wooden blocks would also be added top and bottom to support the unit for when it did get banged!!
  • you will notice that I used 'engineers' parallels' to keep everything at right angles - most useful and heavy to hold it all in place, however, I did rub candle wax on the surfaces were glue was likely to adhere to.........it work, and the items separated easily.
I also considered:
  • whether to cut the aperture oversize by 1.25mm on each side and have it sitting flush
  • or attached to the back of the correct size of aperture - being 75mm by 30mm
I decided to go for the latter, as if it did decide to break this ought to be hidden on the external paintwork, where if it was projecting through there would be a crack appearing all around the aperture - QED.
  • the depth of the box is 55mm
This all took longer than I had envisaged, but was fun!

I shall later [next week or the week after - I have a busy week of engagements coming up]:
  • fix this to the wheelhouse
  • and then start making the smaller, but similar 'boxes around the wheelhouse.
That's where I am at at the moment, but any of this could be made with either styrene or plywood, using similar methods.......you have the choice, just remember 'probability' and 'impact' to this part of your Project!

C.C.

PS - you might notice that on the fourth photo from the end there is a 'protusion' on the front corner edge - this required [gently.....] for the glass fibre and epoxy resin on the inside top edge of the 'nose' to be ground back, using the Dremmel, to accommodate the box correctly.

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #813 on: September 15, 2019, 08:08:20 pm »

I did the paint job on the bollards today using Alclad semi matt Aluminium. This paint comes quite close to the original and I am happy with the result. I used a primer from Zero paints (Belcher grey!) first, followed by Alclad black gloss and finally some very thin aluminium layers.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #814 on: September 15, 2019, 08:17:16 pm »

Arno,
They look great - nice finish all round.
Kim

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #815 on: September 16, 2019, 09:27:23 am »

Hi C.C.

How do you find working with the UV Glue? Is it as good as they say??

Declan

p.s How do you like to be referred to. Kim or CC?? Think I've used both here  :embarrassed:

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #816 on: September 16, 2019, 11:14:53 am »

Hi Declan,
I tend to use my first name, and other folks' too, when dealing with either one or a number of individual queries or points raised - this keeps it personal within the Forum arena, but C.C. when I am just covering general points of the build.

As for the U.V. glue. Mine is Bondic [and I am not a chemist], but there are similar products 'out there too', claiming the same results [The Range do one at a quarter of the cost]. So I can only speak on my version. In most cases it has made a very strong and instant [4 seconds] bond. However, I did knock one recent usage - a stainless steel 3mm tube into an aluminium hole in a stand I had machined and the two parted company. I have since 'roughed' both very small surfaces again and cleaned them with an alcohol wipe [to remove any grease] and so far all is OK. One has to remember though, that:
  • the application you are using it on has to allow for the UV rays to physically get to the actual glue, for the chemical reaction to take place. I have done some trial 'jobs' to see if it 'penetrated', but in two or three instances this did not work.
  • so, it is there to use, and a bit like CNA glue [which I am not a great lover of] it can be good to 'tack weld' items together prior to the main gluing medium being used.
Not sure if this helps. But it is always good to try out new glues and items and see if they stand up to the 'rigours' we expect of them, prior to fully using them on our 'sacred models'!

Lastly, sorry to those that read my narrative to building the 'box'. When I re-read it yesterday I found it was full of typos!! I had hurriedly done this, just before I dashed off to my afternoon meeting of the military modelling group I attend monthly........oops!

Kim

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #817 on: September 16, 2019, 04:16:46 pm »

Cheers Kim.

Seems to be so many glues out there now. I suppose it basically whichever works for you in what your are doing.

Regards

Declan

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #818 on: September 24, 2019, 07:25:54 pm »

I did make use of my lathe and milling machine in order to build the cleats. The base plate is made from 1.5 mm aluminium, the posts and bars from 3.0 mm aluminium rod. I used my milling machine to make the rounded shape at the top of the posts. The welding lines will be made by applying PVA glue as I did with the bollards. The cleats will be finished using Alclad polished aluminium paint.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #819 on: September 25, 2019, 09:21:51 am »

Hi Arno,
Nice tidy work as always, good to see you are putting your machinery investments to good use.
If you polish up aluminium it gives a good representation of stainless steel, I use it all over to make small fittings.
We have over here a company called "Boots", they make cosmetics and all sorts of medical supplies, in their range for nail care they have a four way block of abrasive which gradually reduces from fine to very fine, I use this to polish up the aluminium to replicate the stainless steel, the block also keeps a nice flat surface with no rounding off of corners. I can send you some if you cannot find them in Germany.
Regards   17-09  Alan....

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #820 on: September 25, 2019, 08:08:49 pm »

Hi Alan,
Thank you very much for your advice. I think this is the abrasive block you mean. Kim told me about "Boots" and during our visit in August I bought this in their Ramsgate shop. It works very well and I have already made some use of it as you can see. I first intended to polish the aluminium but then I would have to paint the welding lines which I want to reproduce and I fear to make a mess then. So I have decided to paint the complete fitting using Alclad polished aluminium. I have already used this paint on my car models and it comes quite close to stainless steel.
I am happy that I made the machinery investments. It was like plunging into a new world of experiences and I am still learning a lot but that is part of the fun I get from this hobby.
Regards
Arno

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #821 on: September 25, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »

Sorry Arno but I don't think you've made enough  {-)
ANDY

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #822 on: September 26, 2019, 08:34:22 pm »

Eight pieces came out of the assembly line, Andy. Is that already mass production? {-) :} {-)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #823 on: September 26, 2019, 10:01:19 pm »

Then there is Kim myself and a other = 32  {-)
ANDY

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #824 on: September 27, 2019, 07:03:36 am »

No way, Andy. My aim is to catch up with Kim within two years {-)

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.