Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 435328 times)

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #825 on: September 29, 2019, 11:35:19 am »

I have finished the cleats :-) The mounts are made from styrene and will be glued to the deck.  My new compressor (Iwata 975) works a treat. It is quite silent so that you can use it even on a Sunday, leaving the door of the workshop open without neigbours complaining ok2

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #826 on: September 29, 2019, 08:24:38 pm »

Hi Arno,
 lovely job......say no more
     Alan

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #827 on: September 30, 2019, 04:42:23 pm »

Hi Arno,
 lovely job......say no more
     Alan

I see the Thighs getting rubbed!

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #828 on: November 10, 2019, 06:40:53 pm »

I have machined the bollards O0 The base plates were made from 3.0mm aluminium plates. They were cut out by a jigsaw first and then milled to 25 x 25 mm. The slots for the support plates were milled using a 1.5 mm endmill suitable for milling aluminium. The pillars were turned on my lathe exactly the same way as Kim showed us earlier in this thread.

You will recognize a false hole at the stern bollard plate which happened being tired when milling in the evening. As the plate was nearly finished by then I decided to use JB weld to close that and it worked very well. After the paintwork you will not see that mistake anymore.

I tried to imitate the weld lines by using PVA glue. I had to do that twice as the glue shrinks considerably when curing. I hope it will look realistic after painting. I will try to use etch primer and Zero paints (similar to Tamiya Nato black) finished by a satin lacquer. Some trials on scratch pieces will be made first.

The bollards will be fixed by a screw to the deck, similar to what Kim showed earlier in this thread.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #829 on: November 10, 2019, 08:35:18 pm »

Arno, my very good friend,
You have made an old, grey haired Englishman very happy looking at these. They really are a tribute to you and your continued build. I hope they, too, encourage a few other folk to have a go at this type of work with aluminium and brass on the lathe and milling machine. I do not have that much experience in these matters, but you have had less AND YET have 'turned out' [excuse the pun, bro'] such superb examples!
I have just got back from the International Model Boat Show at 'Warwick' and am with Rob and John in Netherton at this moment [where the Titanic anchors and chains were made] and will soon be going to The Swan to enjoy some of their ales from their micro-brewery.......as they say in England - 'wish you were here!
I will try and post a few photos here tomorrow....we on the LBES stand came 3rd........Worcester MBC came first, follow by Wickstead Park MBC in 2nd.
Have a good week.
Kim

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #830 on: November 17, 2019, 08:35:00 pm »

At the weekend I made the vent and started the anchor housing.
The mesh is made from aluminium which I bought from a company who sell materials for architects. It can be cut by using scissors. I used car filler to replicate the front area as it is on the real thing. The pins were made from 2 mm styrene rod which I brought into shape using my Proxxon disk sander. The wire is 0.3 mm thick. I have ordered some plastic dummy nuts and bolts made by a Russian company (17-09 uses them on his magnificent Severn build, thank you Alan, I am sure you will read this!). These will be glued onto the cover to finish this part.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #831 on: November 18, 2019, 09:32:36 am »

Very, Very nice Arno, great work
Alan......

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #832 on: November 18, 2019, 10:21:51 am »

Arno,
Nice scratch building on these pieces of 'deck and wheelhouse furniture'. Superb detail and an inspiration to other Shannon builders, of whom I met quite a few at the IMBS at 'Warwick'. Your approach and methods explained is most helpful.
Kim

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #833 on: November 18, 2019, 04:48:48 pm »

Voilà!

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #834 on: November 18, 2019, 05:08:44 pm »

Guten Arben Arno,
You are really keeping the Shannon build 'alive' - thanks. I hope to be back building in a couple of weeks, once my Company accounts are in with my accountant, something you will understand!
I have made a few small items, but need to edit the photos and put them into a Post.
Likewise I have purchased some new parts and materials, so might photograph them soon and put them here too!
There will be a PM coming your way tonight, to answer 'yours' of yesterday. Thanks for the 'heads up' on the IMBS 'Warwick' antics from Steve Dean and also the pool commentary!
Well, keep up the very good work on your Shannon and it will soon be April and the Intermodellbau in Dortmund!! ;)
Ciao,
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #835 on: November 24, 2019, 06:03:38 pm »

It's not believable that the Warwick IMBS Show was a fortnight ago! Here are a few photos of our LBES stand, which got awarded 3rd place of all the Clubs, voted on by the other Clubs.
Starting from 'my corner end', the Shannon is by Chris Scott with his interior set displayed. The photos are mine and likewise the actual lifeboat items of 'shrunk' wellies, a 'D' Class ILB floor mounted Sestrel compass, helmet [out of date and damage repaired and refurbished with the help of Gecko and presented to me by a RNLI station in the South East], a section of rope [that had been damaged] off the Trent Class 14-02 'RNLB Esme Anderson' at Ramsgate, my model of a RNLI Training Lifeguard jet-ski based at Poole, then the two stanchions I bought from a friend who acquired them from the Arun class lifeboat 'RNLB Edith Emile' 52-14.
The Royal Air Force Rescue Sea King helicopter is totally scratch built by Rob Smith, as is the large 1/12th Severn Class 'RNLB Richard Cox Scott' the Falmouth lifeboat 17-29. The Arun Class is built by John Owen - being the predecessor to 17-29 at Falmouth - 52-11 'RNLB Elizabeth Ann'. The Trent Class 'RNLB Esme Anderson' is 14-02 based at Ramsgate and a purchased second owner model, completely refurbished by Jeff Carter. The new beautifully modelled 1/10th scale Atlantic '75 was by Alan Turner and was acquired at the Show by a new owner! Many of the 'gap fillers' around the stand are from the collection of John Sanders, the legendary lifeboat authority, model builder and commentator.
I hope this gives an indication of what is what and by whom. We are always looking for new members and exhibitors!!
Kim [C.C.]

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #836 on: November 24, 2019, 06:08:00 pm »

Superb! kim

also fantastic work Arno  8)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #837 on: November 24, 2019, 06:50:20 pm »

Memories
17-09

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #838 on: November 24, 2019, 07:00:19 pm »

Alan,
2020 will be back to reality.........there should be another 1/12th Severn on the stand!!!!!!!! I've booked your B&B [separate email to follow later tonight] and you'll need a pantechnicon for transport though! Also a glass case to keep 'little fingers' off it.
Secondly, Jeff did a great job on the commentary, so that's Saturday taken care of, with you on the Sunday that will give me a free weekend and a chance to get to the loo occasionally!! Or even frequently at this stage of life............................ :embarrassed:
Cheers,
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #839 on: November 25, 2019, 12:50:54 am »

Sorry forgot the LBES Team photo.......I'll have to go!!
Right to left - Rob [Severn + Sea King Heli], John [Arun and Atlantic 25] and also the organiser and 'fixer' [with Rob] of our stand, Dave [Tamar which I forgot to mention!], Jeff [Trent], Mary - wife of Alan and 'keeper of the purse', Alan T. [Atlantic '75], Adam [another Tamar exhibitor on the water] and 'yours truly'.
C.C.

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #840 on: November 25, 2019, 07:38:11 pm »

I found some kitchen items very useful for my Shannon build. I was looking for a metal mesh for the vent but found only round shaped ones in our kitchen. My daughters had the right idea: that well known Swedish furniture shop sells kitchen items as well. So we made a visit together and found this cheap flour sifter! A big thanks to my lovely girls!

I cut the mesh with my Dremel cutting disc.
The brass strips are 0.3 mm thick. I filed slots into the sides so that they would accept the ends. The bolts are the Russian ones I have mentioned earlier in this thread. The same brand went on the hatch of the starboard bow vent.

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #841 on: November 25, 2019, 07:40:28 pm »

The finished vent:

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #842 on: November 25, 2019, 07:47:58 pm »

Another kitchen item went into the vent at the portside: filter mat! The mesh is made from plastic which is used for protecting goods when being transported. I used my milling machine to mill the slots at the back which accept the mesh. The brass bits were made from 0.3mm brass sheet. You will recognize those Russian bolts again... I am still waiting for some slotted screws for the frame which I have ordered. (The angle of the part on the left side should be the other way round, but I only laid it this way for the photo, gravity preventing the correct way ok2 )

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #843 on: November 26, 2019, 12:05:29 am »

Great detail gives us all a bench mark to get to. Keep it up
John

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #844 on: November 26, 2019, 03:12:44 am »

Arno, some more great bits built.......at this rate, between yourself and Andy W., I will not have to think how to make many parts, just toss a coin and choose the method, either 'heads' or 'tails'!! Keep up the good work and thank the good ladies of the Schnell family too.
Kim

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #845 on: November 26, 2019, 01:32:38 pm »

Superb! now I'm waiting to see how you do fuel filler caps  O0
ANDY

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #846 on: November 26, 2019, 07:46:21 pm »

Thank you so much for your nice comments!

As for the fuel filler caps, Andy, no kitchen items available this time. I think I will do some lathework instead. Are they identical on both sides, starboard and portside?

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #847 on: November 26, 2019, 08:45:36 pm »

Yes four fill caps but I've not begun to figure how yet. So if you could knock 12 up  {-)

ANDY

reynard555

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #848 on: November 27, 2019, 08:39:30 am »

Hi Did you make the stanchon bases. Regards Roger.

Email removed from open forum - [ Model Boat Mayhem - caring for all Mayhemers everywhere!  ]    :}

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.