Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 235214 times)

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #875 on: January 06, 2020, 05:36:59 PM »

Hi Kim,  very nice fella :-))

keep up the good work, look forward to catching up soon.

regards,

Martin.
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #876 on: January 09, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »

Thanks Martin - good to hear from you.
It's that very busy time with concerts at the moment and six rehearsals in the next two weeks, with professional vocal training for me [on Mondays] and also learning the 112 pages of Russian text [phonetically] which we sing across the one and a half hours at the Cathedral - Sergie Rachmaninoff's Vespers or 'All Night Vigil'. All unaccompanied.....wonderful stuff!
However, every now and then I get out into the workshop and do a [very] little bit of brass work to keep me sane! I have some more to Post on this thread, hopefully in the next couple of days. Send me an email when you have a moment and I'll venture your way for an hour's chat.
Did you see the subliminal Macs Mouldings compliment slip in th background to a few photos here recently? I try my best!
Are you going to Ally Pally? I hope to go with 17-09 on Friday 17th.
Kim

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #877 on: January 10, 2020, 03:23:53 PM »

Come and find me on Friday Kim, I have a French model boat magazine supplement for you about their lifeboats  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #878 on: January 10, 2020, 03:44:30 PM »

Great, will do Phil.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #879 on: January 14, 2020, 03:58:04 PM »

Recently, in snatched spare moments, I have:
  • Cut and threaded the 'feet' with 12BA brass hexagonal bolts that have 14BA heads [these were a customised 'one off' order with EKP Supplies some twelve years ago and cost 230+ for 1,000]. I have added the 12BA washers, but they are slightly oversized and will be replaced in due course.
  • Used my two tools to thread them into place - a turned down hex screwdriver and a 14BA hex grub screw [fastener] that also was turned on the lathe to remove half of the thread - hence becoming a 'driver'. Both can be seen in the background of my photos and were made for me by my late friend Ted, when I first got involved in model boats some nineteen years ago.
  • Used my Proxxon electric screwdriver, with the adjustable speed transformer unit, to tap each of the threads. This is my most useful tool, away from the lathe and milling machines. However, do not forget to use cutting fluid during this process, it makes the cut easier and prolongs the cutting edge on the tap [and drills when using them].
  • You can see the clean finish underneath each 'foot', once the bolt protusions have been nipped off, filed close to plate foot surface and then 'wet and dry' finished, using oil.
  • I then got some 6.35mm brass rod and turned this to 6mm - not too finely, as most was either going to be later machined off or turned to another diameter.
  • Then turned a section down to 4mm - this was the length that would go inside each gob-eye fairlead end.
  • Having reversed the length of rod in the lathe chuck I parted the section required and again reverse the resultant piece in the chuck.
  • Then I reduced the length to that required on the cone 'reducer' and put a chamfer / bevel around the rim.
  • Using a centre bit drill I then put a hole in the end and opened this up to a hole that would eventually accept the start of the stern top handrail sections. This was not drilled out to the full 1/8" size as the cone might have parted from the 4mm section of rod under the pressure. This will be done later, once the two 'reducers' are soldered into place and the brass outer sleeve is there to support the 1/8" size.
Well, I hope that has made sense, especially if you are going down this road too, and like me have very little 'engineering skills'.

C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #880 on: January 14, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »

........balance of photos.
C.C.

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #881 on: January 14, 2020, 04:39:19 PM »

For someone with very little 'engineering skills' i'd say that is impressive!!! :-) :-)

Declan

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #882 on: January 15, 2020, 01:16:32 AM »

Thanks Declan, but I've never had to use a lathe or milling machine to earn my living, hence a few folk that I know that have, must look at my methods or end products and wince at the time I take or quality produced. But it's been a new skill learnt over the past few years [fifteen since I retired] and I'm enjoying it, learning all the time and when the primer goes on it won't notice!! Just so long as I remain safe in the use of these machines, they can be lethal.

So, to get to where I am at this very moment:
  • I soldered the 'reducers' into the gob-eye fairlead.......
  • .......and used JB Weld [steel] to fix the two 4mm screw threads into the 6mm cradle supports.
  • Take no notice of the join line on the gob-eye bottom tube section, this is off centre, and was created to get the correct width when joining the two sections created.
  • I then drilled the holes on the stern [aft] deck to accept the gob-eye fairlead. However, beware, as when I fitted my deck to the hull I moved the deck 2mm towards the Port side to accommodate getting the centre line accurate. [Something Andy W. had contacted me about some months back and previous to that Arno when he had cut to the line provided on the actual deck and wanted to 'save the day' - which he did!]. What I now had was the Port side deck hatch and central hatch too far over by that small amount, but it shows. It might get left like this or if I decide to machine aluminium hatches [the three here] at a later stage I might make the correction..............................hmmm.
Kim [C.C.]

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #883 on: January 15, 2020, 07:43:46 AM »

Hi KimNice parts and nice to see you back on the build .
Regards
Del

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #884 on: January 17, 2020, 11:59:16 PM »

Well, I have just got back from a very eventful and enjoyable day at the London Model Engineering Show at the Alli Palli with 17-09 [Alan].
When we arrived we immediately came across Mr. Plastic Fantastic's [Chris's] James Bond stand with 17-21 and his grandson Michael accompanying him. Pleasantries were exchanged and then I was told to close my eyes and hold my hands out - as there were a lot of people around I did as requested. 17-21 then put into my hands a 'can' and I opened my eyes........and there was the most incredible surprise, a Citadel Games Workshop aerosol can of Lead Belcher [grey] undercoat paint!! I was actually speechless and therefore quiet for some few minutes. Phil said he had found it in a model shop in Weymouth whilst visiting recently and '.....just had to buy a can, whatever the price'. Everyone laughed, as if you go to #168 on my 'thread' here you will find the instigator of all of this little joke against me, when Martin [Clifton] of Macs Mouldings and Warwickshire Back Lane Mystery Tours Ltd., put this photo from our Dortmund trip on a can of Halford's Grey Primer [if you have ever seen any of my 1/12th model lifeboats........they are all in Grey Primer!!]. Hence the joke.
So thanks lads [Martin and Phil] see what you have done.......now can I claim any royalties from Citadel?????
I must admit, halfway through the day I thought it was a clever prank that I had fallen, hook line and sinker for, but when I got back home I checked the internet and found that it is actually an 'undercoat paint for plastic, metals and resin model pieces'.
Martin, you owe me big time Fella!!
Thanks all, it was good to see many other 'old faces' too - Steamboat Phil, Derek [Del Boy], John from SMWS, and Rob Briancourt from St. Albans MES.
I came home with most of the items on my shopping list and after a detour to Faversham for a curry at The Raj with Alan, who was my chauffer for the day - thanks for such a good trip and day to each of you.

Kim

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36]   Go Up