Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 435357 times)

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #950 on: March 31, 2021, 08:03:53 pm »

Love your paint skills Kim..could not see any orange though....... {-) {-) {-)
Steamed up all the time

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories
« Reply #951 on: April 01, 2021, 01:55:22 pm »

Very Nice Kim, hope you and the good lady are keeping safe and well.

regards,

Martin
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #952 on: April 08, 2021, 07:25:16 pm »

Kim kindly permitted me to send some photos of my build to fill the gap until he will be able to show his new items.
I have used carbon tubes of 5 and 2mm diameter for the telecom mast. The sliders were soldered using square brass tubing from K&S metals which were opened on one side using the milling machine. They fit into the slotted black profiles which I made from HDPE black plastic (Kim had the idea, so that we do not need to paint it and it would show no scratches when being used). I have fixed the profile by 1 mm countersunk screws from Knupfer (stainless steel). The complete item is workable but I probably will not use that for transportation. The boot of my hatchback car is high enough if I put the wheelhouse and the hull separately in.
As for the backrest I built a 'box' from 1 mm styrene scrap and put a thin layer of white milliput on the top. Thus the surface does look not perfectly even as per the original.

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #953 on: April 08, 2021, 07:30:29 pm »

And the last photo showing the 2 mm upright supports made from carbon tubes...

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #954 on: April 09, 2021, 12:39:03 am »

Thanks Arno, as usual some very nicely 'engineered' parts that go together to make a very realistic telecomms working mast. This will give some 'food for thought' to other scratch builders here for their Shannon builds.  :-))

Much appreciated,
Kim

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #955 on: April 11, 2021, 06:24:43 pm »

I have spent some time on the lights for the telecom mast. The body of the lights were machined on the lathe using translucent acrylic rod (diameter 5 mm, drilling a hole of 3.5 mm inside, height 4 mm). The bottom and top plates were turned from 8 mm knitting-needles down to a diameter of 6 mm.
The deck light is fixed using M 1.2 bolts from Prime Miniatures UK in a brass tube with 1.2 diameter inside which makes the item adjustable. The SMD LED is equipped with 3 LEDs on the same chip which can be soldered separately. I have soldered all of them parallel, so this gives a very bright shine :-) The body was shaped from 4 mm styrene scrap using sanding sticks. The inside was hollowed out using burrs of different sizes.

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #956 on: June 03, 2021, 05:24:58 pm »

As Kim's build is still on hold, he allowed me to post some photos of my recent progress. I have been working on the trim planes and the window screen.
The trim plates were made from 1.0 and 0.8 mm brass sheet, cut with a jeweller's saw after having made a card template. The sides were fixed with soft soldering. The hydraulic cylinders are replicated by brass tubing which will be linked to the servo using Gold-N-Cable so the small area the cable runs free will be hardly recognizable with only 1 mm diameter cable (thanks KIm for pointing me into that direction). The end of the cable will be soldered into the smaller brass tube and the servos being mounted flat in the transom area beneath the hatch covers so that they will be accessible later.
The window screen was one of the items I put back for a long time as I was not sure how to replicate the hinges to scale. But I think I now have found a proper solution, using piano hinges bought from Knupfer. I have cut the width to the correct size using the jeweller's saw and trimmed the edges with a sanding block. The holes were not in the correct distance and had to be drilled correctly, filling the original ones with JB Weld. Next step will be the supports which I probably will make from brass sheet. And small strips of brass will be added to replicate the horizontal fixings of the windows. I have bought those as well from Knupfer (3 mm width).

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #957 on: June 03, 2021, 11:45:31 pm »

Arno, that's looking very nice [even though I have seen some of these earlier], but your windscreen idea of the JB Weld is a good idea I shall use too - thanks.

For those who read a month or so back that I was hoping to start again on my build might wonder what has happened. Well, my dear old 'human frame' is starting to give up in a number of areas, so lot's of blood tests, X-rays and physio going on at the moment........and some of the problem [modelling-wise] is that both fore-fingers are now playing up. The left has got 'trigger finger' and the right one a painful little 'sack' that travels on the tendon. All in all, this means I cannot apply pressure or grip items to cut, tighten or file. So, until it's all sorted it - might just have to be the painting my military figures....quite frustrating! However, I am grateful to Arno for continuing to keep the build interest going here......same model, same scale, same build and same lifeboat [13-02 - Dungeness] and an even better quality!!

Finally, great to hear from Phil [Mr. Straight-line Steamboat] and Martin [Macs Mouldings] a few Posts back. Sorry gents for not getting back - trust you and the 'ladies' are keeping well?

Happy building to each and every one,

Kim

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #958 on: June 04, 2021, 10:17:23 am »

Hi Arno and Kim,
Arno, good to see you are keeping Kim’s thread going and with such good work that has mirrored Kim’s build. It is without doubt that the quality of work and the ideas from the suppliers mentioned in the text is helping others and providing inspiration. I have now completed 17-09 apart from some very minor points so find myself not challenged to recreate the fittings such as yours at the moment. Perhaps I should now build a Shannon and get involved again, I really enjoy the research and thought-provoking ways of producing these intricate little items. Well done
Alan (17-09)

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #959 on: June 04, 2021, 07:02:22 pm »

Kim and Alan, thank you so much for your compliments! But both of you surely will remain my benchmark O0
@Alan: that would be a great idea, seeing you joining in building a Shannon class boat! It will leave you a lot of room for producing fittings and new experience regarding the propulsion system.
Meanwhile I will help Kim to reach the number of 300,000 readings of his thread, which is not too far away ok2  And hopefully he will be able to produce some small items soon as well!

Time flies by so quickly, it is now already two years that we were not able to visit each other. I really hope that we can meet each other in person next year all of us being vaccinated.... I am happy that I had already bought enough VW Brilliant Orange paint before, after the Brexit it might cause problems having all those spray cans in the boot of my car {-)

Arno

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories
« Reply #960 on: June 05, 2021, 09:27:47 am »

Hi Kim, good to hear from you, sorry your not feeling 100%. Hopefully your be back as good as new soon, your builds are such an inspiration to everyone. Hope to talk soon fella.

Best regards,

Martin and Mel
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #961 on: June 05, 2021, 11:49:06 am »

What are you doing right up there fella?
17-09

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #962 on: June 23, 2021, 12:00:27 am »

Update folks, on my 'failing bodily frame'! {-)

I am now on crutches as my hip will no longer support me all the time......the X-rays have revealed 'severe osteo-arthritis', so a new hip is on order!! Unfortunately the crutches need my fore-fingers to grip them, so they are now even more 'tender'. I cannot grip files, saws and other tools for tightening and loosening, but I can hold a paint brush. So, as I said a few weeks back, I might just have to paint my figures, when I get the time at the moment. The new neighbour's lad next door has been coming in and doing some gardening, all the bending and weeding, all the bits I cannot reach to do, so he is getting richer and me slightly poorer, but it is working and keeping both small gardens looking good. I really do hope I can get some bits made for the Shannon soon, though. O0

However, over there in the hills of the Seigen area of Germany, I am very grateful to my bro', Arno, for keeping the interest going here on our joint 'thread' and for taking us to over the 300,000 'hits'! I know there are some more bits to be added soon, by him. :-))

So, as ever, do keep watching our Shannon builds and I hope to be back soon. Thanks for those that have been in touch during recent months - much appreciated!

Kim [Canterbury Coxswain]

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #963 on: June 23, 2021, 07:41:59 am »

My best wishes for you Kim  :o

Outstanding work from Arno  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #964 on: June 23, 2021, 11:39:17 am »

Total respect my friend!

Alan 17-09

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #965 on: August 08, 2021, 08:13:18 pm »

I did some more work on the wipers and the lifebuoy lights recently and Kim encouraged me to post some photos here.
The wipers are made from Albion Alloys square brass profiles. The screws are 0.6 mm bolts from Knupfer, the attaching mechanism is made of 0.5 mm styrene. Members of the honourable guild of rivet counters (Kim and me belong to them as well) will notice that the wiper arms miss another telescopic profile. But I could not find thinner profiles which fit together, so decided to omit that. I found some wiper blades on the internet which are fabricated for 1/10th scale RC cars. The material seems to be rubber like resin, quite similar to the fenders supplied with the MBD Shannon. I cut off their wiper arms and made some fittings from styrene which will accept the blades.

The lifebuoy lights were turned on my lathe, using an 8 mm knitting needle as a donor. In order to replicate the container, I used a pearl cut into halves and drilled out with a round burr. I used 2 mm translucent acrylic rod for the lenses. The ends werde rounded with a sanding patch and then polished. The bottom was painted with a tip of Tamiya acrylic yellow and then covered with flat aluminium. This replicates the yellow LED of the original quite well (looks yellow watched from above, but still translucent watched from the sides).

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #966 on: August 08, 2021, 11:48:16 pm »

Arno,
Yet again, some really superb items for the Shannon that have been scratch built. Thanks for the detail too, this is going to help a number of fellow builders [me included] and hopefully even encourage some others to have a go at the scratch building approach too. I remember that 'throw away' comment I made some years back about buying and using my lathe - 'if I can do it, anyone can' - and you 'took up the baton' [Olympic reference on the closing day of the 2020 Games] and ran with it, now producing some really fine 1/12th scale items for us to look at, I just hope that Andrea's knitting needles are not missed!!
Thanks for spending the time to keep the 'thread' on the move, for the time being, much appreciated bro'. Really missed not seeing you in person these past two years, both here in the UK and in Germany, let's hope that 2022 will make amends!
Kim [C.C.]  [/me]

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #967 on: August 09, 2021, 06:45:21 pm »

Thanks for your nice comment, Kim. The knitting needles were not Andrea‘s. A while ago I decided not to risk divorce and built up my own stock, I now have at least 20 of them  ok2  I like the material for small items, it is easy to machine and the swarf is easier to remove.

I still remember your ‚throw away comment‘ about lathework. I simply did not have the courage to start this venture into the unknown before, but with your help and the small book suggested by you I was able to make good progress quite rapidly. In the end it is very rewarding to see the items you have created yourself which you cannot buy and are right to scale.

Let‘s hope we can get COVID-19 under control, so that we can meet each other again soon O0

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #968 on: November 20, 2021, 01:42:41 pm »

Here are some updates to show you what I have achieved during the last couple of months/weeks: I have copied the way to fix the main servos from Kim's amazing Trent build using 4 mm perspex (in Germany called Plexiglas). The linkage is made from Gold-N-Cable (thanks Kim for pointing me into that direction). I ordered the cable from Leeds Model Shop who fortunately still dispatch to EU-countries.
The Trim planes also are linked with that sort of cable to the mini servos attached in a frame (3D print), so that they can be removed in case of a defect later. The cable runs through the replica of the hydraulic cylinder.
So far it is only a dry fit but a bath tub test will hopefully be possible soon.

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #969 on: November 20, 2021, 01:53:59 pm »

The Sea Catch is another item which I had to build twice {-) The first version looked quite the same but was not workable. After some headscratching I decided to put that into the bin and build the current version which is workable. I copied the original drawing scaling it down on my printer until I could cut it out as a template. This was transferred to 2 mm aluminium plate (middle section) and 1 mm brass plate. I cut out the parts using a jeweller's saw which worked fine.
The mini shackle was bought from Fechtner Modellbau in Germany, the pin with the nut is M1 size. The securing bolt itself is made from 1.5 mm aluminium rod. The bolts in the central part of the mechanism are 2 mm aluminium rod .

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #970 on: November 20, 2021, 02:10:42 pm »

The central display of the upper steering position was made using 0.5 mm styrene sheet. The screws are M1 from Knupfer (Germany).
The searchlights gave me the chance to use my lathe and milling machine again. At first the length of the main body was too big so I decided to shorten them after Kim had sent me measurements he took from the original parts. The original thing is nearly square: 262 mm length and 260 mm diameter at the front, 180 mm diameter at the back. My item is not 100% correct as I had started the build only from photos before I got the data from Kim, but I am nearly there now.
The holes were made on the milling machine with a 1 mm endmill using the rotary table, screws are M1 from Knupfer again. I will use power LEDs fixed in the reflector which is from Conrad (Germany). The bracket is made from brass strips, a 1 mm pin soldered into the bottom to fix it on the railing.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #971 on: November 20, 2021, 04:38:45 pm »

Arno, what can I say? You are making a marvellous 'work' of this model :-)) This really shows what can be done at this level along the 'scratch building' route. Seeing as you had never used a lathe or a milling machine [and all your accompanying tools now!] before this build; I shall 'die a very happy man', knowing that you 'took up the baton' and ran with this approach. The good thing is, that after your monetary outlay.......you have achieved and importantly are both enjoying the end results [even if the odd item ends up in the waste bin....we've all been there!] and also inspiring other modellers too. Thanks very much for keeping this 'thread' going in my absence [and beyond]....I hope to be returning to my build before the end of the year.
Keep up the good work and I look forward to visiting you all again in Germany, just as soon as we can see the regulations changing and Covid-19 start to take 'a back seat' in our lives!
I look forward to our next WhatsApp video link, so until then....Tschuss, my friend.

Kim

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #972 on: November 20, 2021, 06:11:12 pm »

Impressive stuff!     O0

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #973 on: November 22, 2021, 09:18:18 am »

Phew! Glad to see updates are continuing here. Thought everything was migrating to Facebook  :o

Don't like builds on Facebook as I can't keep proper tabs on whats going on.  :-)) :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #974 on: November 22, 2021, 09:38:46 am »

Phew! Glad to see updates are continuing here. Thought everything was migrating to Facebook  :o

Don't like builds on Facebook as I can't keep proper tabs on whats going on.  :-)) :-))

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43   Go Up

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.