Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 435371 times)

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #975 on: November 22, 2021, 07:06:40 pm »

Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated. I will keep updates coming, my only problem is the lack of time.
Gently gently, catchee monkey! (You see, Kim not only taught me modelling skills, but proverbials as well :-)) )

Arno

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #976 on: November 22, 2021, 09:37:39 pm »

Truly dedicated to perfection  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #977 on: January 09, 2022, 06:48:06 pm »

I have been working on some items recently which I would like to share with you.

The steering wheel was made from a steel curtain ring using 1.2 mm brass rod for the spokes. The hub was machined on my lathe from aluminium an then polished using metal polish (the product you usually use for polishing chrome parts on cars).

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #978 on: January 09, 2022, 06:58:11 pm »

I have decided to replace the deck lights which I had made before with the 3D printed parts I found on the internet recently. The parts need some fettling before they fitted together properly but in the end the result is much better than the ones I had made myself using a pearl. I made the glazing using 1 mm clear perspex. The parts were painted using Revell SM302 satin black enamel paint. The paint must have been too old (definitely not a stirring issue) as it did not cure. I put the painted parts into braking fluid and did the paint job a second time airbrushing with new paint which I had bought. This time all went well. I used Tamiya fine primer from a rattle can before. I never will use old paint again <*<

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #979 on: January 09, 2022, 07:02:43 pm »

Some more photos, but somehow distorted, they were made with a new Samsung mobile phone by my daughter {:-{

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #980 on: January 09, 2022, 07:05:16 pm »

Last not least some hinges made from 0.8mm brass sheet......

Again distorted, on my computer they look ok, strange....never had that issue before >>:-(

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #981 on: January 09, 2022, 11:36:34 pm »

Arno,
Yet again you have done us proud on this 'thread' :-)) . Some excellent work and tips of how to progress [and even not....old paint!]. The wheelhouse fore-deck spot lights are superb and for those reading this, if they go to the website shown and to page 4 they will also find spotlights for the RNLI Tamar, Severn, Trent and Arun class lifeboats at various scales of 1/16th and 1/12th......well worth a visit. However, since Brexit not so sure how easy it will be to get them back to the UK!
Thanks for my shackles and the curtain rings in my Christmas present...they will get used in the near future [more of which to follow].

So folks, in the next couple of weeks I hope to be having a replacement right hip fitted. This, and the osteo-arthritis in my left hand [mainly] and right hand too, has kept me away from my Shannon build...the physical use of which has had to be kept for household chores, before modelling enjoyment. However, I have done a little more 1/10th figure work in the past week, which is not so demanding on the finger joints and has kept my mind off the 'use of small saws, Dremels and hammers' in the near future {:-{ !!
Thanks again Arno and as soon as I can get around the workshop, a bit easier than I can now, I hope to be back following some of your excellent ideas to further the build on my Shannon.
Here's to a better 2022 for all those visiting this Forum.
Cheers,
Kim

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #982 on: January 10, 2022, 08:37:40 am »

Reposting the photos ....

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #983 on: January 10, 2022, 11:10:17 am »

Thanks Martin :-)) , that's let us see just how wonderful Arno's hinges are and the quality of the fore-deck lights.
Seems strange that we have not met at 'Warwick' for more than two years now! Maybe later this year?!*

Cheers,
Kim

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #984 on: January 10, 2022, 12:08:00 pm »

Thanks a lot, Martin :-)) :-)) :-))

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #985 on: July 25, 2022, 05:18:44 pm »

After a longer pause I thought it would be nice to post some updates. I made a start with 3D-printing and printed the compass and waterjet control levers. The levers werde drawn by a club mate and the compass is the first own drawing using tinkercad and a little help from my daughter :-) I bought a resin printer and after some misfiring from my side it now works well.

The stanchions are a mix of soft soldering brass in situ (no problem with the GRP deck) and silver soldering using a wooden jig.

The paint for the capstan and the bollards is Tamiya spray TS 63 Nato black. The silver for the stanchions is a zinc aluminium spray from the automotive range. I used Polished Aluminium Alclad paint for the bolts.

Are there still some more Shannon builders here who are interested in this thread? I hope so as it has gone quiet, Kim not being able to continue his build for the time being.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #986 on: July 25, 2022, 05:25:39 pm »

Beautiful work Arno
ANDY

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #987 on: July 25, 2022, 05:38:12 pm »

Thank you Andy, I follow your new building area with great interest. Your engine restauration is superb!

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #988 on: July 25, 2022, 05:41:06 pm »

Excellent stuff. I still pop in from time to time as I prefer it to faceache! Haven’t been doing much modelling lately though. Too many other things in the way but I love reading about what everyone is doing.

We took receipt of a relief Mersey class lifeboat to replace our own and it has been fitted out with the Shannon SIMS Radar and Navigation system. This will give us a bit of a head start in preparation for our new Shannon Class lifeboat - when we get it - possibly 2024  :}2

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #989 on: July 26, 2022, 07:30:41 pm »

I have finished another item today  :-)  I like this stage of the build when it all comes together nicely. There are quite a lot of items though to paint and assemble…

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #990 on: July 26, 2022, 07:35:01 pm »

Very realistic  :-))

I paid a small fortune for the wing nut following a link to USA that Kim suggested  {-)

ANDY

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #991 on: July 26, 2022, 08:31:21 pm »

Brilliant detail, wish I had the patience, congratulations  :-))
Steamed up all the time

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #992 on: July 26, 2022, 09:18:07 pm »

@Andy: so we went the same route for the wingnut O0 {-)

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #993 on: July 27, 2022, 11:36:57 am »

Who was that with? :}2

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #994 on: July 27, 2022, 04:45:42 pm »

Andy aka Taranis. I still have spare ones. If you are interested, send me a pm.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #995 on: August 07, 2022, 02:49:08 pm »

Good afternoon all! I am sitting here, resting and watching the penultimate day of the action at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games. This will be an update on where I am currently at on both life and the modelling front.

But, firstly, a very big 'thank you' to Arno for not only keeping this 'build blog' going, but for the wonderful attention to detail, finish and passing on of ideas, build methods and item acquisition detail. Thanks, my very good friend, and I really look forward to when we can meet again, both this side of the English Channel and also venturing across to Europe and heading north to your lovely town and house! The last two and a half years of Covid has really not helped.

Now to my current condition and modelling arena. I am going to talk of health as I am most grateful to those who have sent PMs in the past and recently, saying that reading my 'writings' is an important part of their daily life, as they too were once where we are....building model boats and sailing them regularly. However, with the marching on of the years, life, health, physical body joints and transport problems means they now have to be content with 'sitting and watching'. Again, big thanks to Martin and his 'team' for keeping this MBM site going and providing a very useful communication 'tool' for us all.

As many will know I had a right hip joint diagnosed as being in the advanced stages of osteo-arthritis some three to four years ago. Last year a surgeon said he would replace it on the NHS, but at a private hospital, here in Canterbury by December or January this year...latest. At Christmas nothing had progressed, so I asked when and it seemed to be April earliest or even another two years! I said '...and if I 'self-fund' [pay]...', end of January was the reply!! So this I did. In the meantime my wife had the same problem with her right hip and the scenario became exactly the same, but she decided a different surgeon at a different private hospital. The result....we are both now extremely mobile and back to getting up stairs, doing our own shoes laces up, after actually being able to put our shoes on! Getting on and off buses and driving the car again; also having the joy of doing the gardens on my own and when I want to. But this has been at a cost of having to give a big priority to household 'chores ' and duties for the last three years, so that aches and pains are kept to a minimum. I am hoping that I am just about to come away from this way of life. However, making a couple of brass, 6mm threaded posts for my 1/10th scale military busts, the locking on and off of both the lathe and milling machine chucks has warned me that I am not fully there, with the osteo-arthritis in my left hand being extreme in four of the digits, including the 'pincer' thumb!! My thanks do go to a couple of my friends from the Canterbury Choral Society and the U3A [University of the Third Age] Model Boat Section who really did help with attention to my daily needs and especially transportation to and from hospital, doctors and physio appointments, both 'pre' and 'post' the operation.

So I have been continuing with the 1/10th historical military resin bust figures, as I have now developed a technique where I can hold the aluminium handle, that holds the main figure parts, without using my left thumb...marvellous....modelling can continue to satisfy my creative desires!! I submitted my two completed figures [one shown here earlier on the blog] at a recent Show organised by the Shepway Club at Hawkinge and in Category 10 [Busts of 1/10th scale and in 3D] I managed to get the Bronze award for my first completed figure of a Teutonic knight and the Silver award for the Imperial Roman Aquilifer!! Wow, was I pleased and what an encouragement for the future. I attach a few photos, even if they are not boats!! That said, I was going to have a 'live' section of the Lifeboat Enthusiasts Society stand at the International Model Boat Show this year to demonstrate build and mainly paint lifeboat figures....but with the Show cancelled......this might have to wait until another year. I suppose I could even start another 'blog' demonstrating my approach and techniques, but I really do want to get back to my Shannon build, spurred on by the inspirational pieces that Arno has made in the past twelve months or so.

And there we are, full circle in my 'chat' to where I started. Sorry if this is rather long, but I hope some will find it interesting and informative, Great to have you on board once again and my best wishes to each for your PMs and interest in these two Shannon class lifeboat builds. Do post your own photos here, if you too have started, are in build or completed a Shannon in recent years.

Yours,
Kim [Canterbury Coxswain]  O0

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #996 on: August 07, 2022, 11:11:09 pm »

Hi Kim.

Great to hear that you and your wife are back on the mend. My 80 year old father in law got a hip replacement 3 years ago and the transformation in him is fantastic. (He also had a triple heart bypass about 14 years ago) It was hard to watch someone take several minutes to get out of his chair and move around room plus trying to get in and out of the car - (he’s a retired Chef) He’s back to climbing ladders to prune trees and I’m stuck at bottom holding the ladders for him. The neighbours know what he’s like and gets joy from them giving off to me for letting him climb the ladders but there is no stopping him. He even had to have the last say recently when I was sealing a joint in his garage roof. I’d come down of the ladder and no sooner had I turned my back that he was up the ladder like a rocket - to say I missed a bit (laughing)

A rejuvenated spring chicken

:-)) :-)

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #997 on: August 08, 2022, 06:51:38 pm »

I have finished the life-raft containers. The containers were hollowed using my milling machine in order to reduce weight of the resin cast items and giving the opportunity to insert neodym magnets. The counterparts can be seen under the base plates. The decals were a gift from another member of the honourable guild of rivet counters ok2 The decals were fixed to the white base coat (Zero paints) and then covered by a varnish (also by Zero paints).

I have used black vinyl lining from BECC for replicating the tapes.

The orange was the first spray of Halfords VW brilliant orange - I bought quite a few of the rattle cans during our pre Covid and Brexit visits - Incredible how time passes by so quickly.... Fortunately the cans still work after the long storage period. O0
Kim's ability in painting figures is outstanding. Later I will have to paint my coxswain figure - it can only be a mess compared to his amazing techniques :D

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #998 on: August 09, 2022, 08:33:17 pm »

Lining mistake corrected - I could have sworn it was right before, but it wasn't >>:-( {-) :police:

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #999 on: August 27, 2022, 02:39:46 pm »

Arno,
There's no way that your 'Coxswain' figure will be a mess!! Your accomplishments with your 'new' lathe and milling machines, to say nothing of your understanding and production items off the 3D printing machine you recently purchased........no, you will make a wonderful job, especially as you have, and use well, that quality airbrush on your model cars......as we say over here, you'll make it 'a cinch'!!
Speaking of the 3D printer, last month Arno sent me a great book as a birthday present [thanks again...great read] on an F1 German driver [we share a love of F1, sports and performance cars, as well as classical music] and in the package was a small box containing my very own set of water-jet hand throttle controls for the upper steering position of my Shannon, along with the binnacle too! You can see them below. My photography does not do them justice, especially the binnacle, as it has the actual Cardinal Point markings on it....hidden by the reflections / glare, but just visible in the last photo. Also, in a recent WhatsApp video call we had together he showed me his latest two creations........I will not spoil the moment of when they arrive here, but I'm sure they will be soon, when he get's a free moment. They are just stupendous and a real inspiration to get back on with my Shannon....so here's hoping!
Well, I'll finish and hope to be back soon with my own progress report, just so long as my hands allow.
Regards to each,
Kim
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.