Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boat fit out  (Read 6482 times)

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
Boat fit out
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:33:20 am »

I am just about to start fitting out my recently purchased 1/16 Trent, I am after help and advise on battery power and sizes.
I am going to run the boat on two Mtroniks M600 for use upto 12v. What difference and which would be best if I use 8.4v NiMH or 9.6vNiMHi and will I need one or two battery packs to run also what mAh hour would be best.

inertia

Re: Boat fit out
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 08:43:08 am »

Tim
The higher voltage will run the motors faster at full speed. For maximum duration use two packs (one for each ESC/motor) of the highest capacity you can find - currently around 5000maH. Buy from a reliable source; some of those silly capacities you find on certain websites (e.g. 6000maH for a Sub-C) are worse than suspicious. Also don't be tempted to fit SLA batteries - they are far too heavy and can't supply the current required.
Dave M

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/9-6v-5000mah-sc-nimh-battery-pack.html

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 08:47:17 am »

:-))
I have been looking on componentshops site, I will be purchasing from them on Saturday at ellesmere, I was planning on running on one of Actions ESC for both motors will this be sufficient,

inertia

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 09:24:46 am »

I have been looking on componentshops site, I will be purchasing from them on Saturday at ellesmere, I was planning on running on one of Actions ESC for both motors will this be sufficient,

I have my suspicions about the current drawn by those MTroniks motors. If you don't already have the 600 motors then I'd advise fitting the 12000RPM 775 motors running on 12v (3S LiPo pack or ten x NiMH cells). These will happily turn a 40mm or even 45mm 3-blade prop without burning out the P94. http://www.componentshop.co.uk/775-dc-motor-2057.html
There's a wiring diagram for the 1/16 Tamar fitted out with these items. You could adopt this, leaving off the bow thruster and sound system as required. http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Model%20Slipway%20Tamar%2012v.pdf
DM

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 10:20:04 am »

Mmmm conundrum, I all ready have the motors and the boat already has 4- blade 40mm props fitted.

inertia

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:51:01 am »

The usual rule of thumb - at least for brushed motors - is not to fit a prop which has a larger diameter than the motor case (36mm in this case). Your props are not only larger than that but have four blades. I suspect they will overload the motors beyond their maximum efficiency point (3.4A @ 15000 RPM) and start drawing high currents as well as getting hot, but I may be wrong.... It wouldn't be the first time!
Your choice, m'duck.

Dave M

(What would I do? I'd use brushless motors.)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 10:58:58 am »

I ran a 1:16th Tamar on similar motors and they just could not provide scale speed a acceleration for a Trent on 4 blade props.

I strongly recommend brushless too.

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 02:37:18 pm »

{:-{
What a mine field.

Would it make any difference if I down sized the props, am trying to avoid the brushless route, or just get bigger motors like Inertia has suggested so I can use all the electrics I already have from Action.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 02:42:52 pm »

What a mine field

Next build
A minehunter :D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 03:29:51 pm »

With those motors I would suggest props no bigger than 35mm and voltage not higher than 7.2v. As far as speed controls, I usually recommend 20amp Mtronics Vipers, so anything Action of similar spec will be fine. Also one speed control per motor..
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

inertia

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 03:36:00 pm »

What a mine field.

Would it make any difference if I down sized the props, am trying to avoid the brushless route, or just get bigger motors like Inertia has suggested so I can use all the electrics I already have from Action.

Your cheapest option is the bigger (775 x 12,000RPM) motors, Tim. They will need 12v or thereabouts. Reducing the prop size will make the performance even more marginal than Kinmel's model i.e. narrow-boat, not lifeboat.
The really nasty thing about minefields is that you often only find out about them when you're stuck in the middle of one.
Dave M

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 03:53:54 pm »

With those motors I would suggest props no bigger than 35mm and voltage not higher than 7.2v. As far as speed controls, I usually recommend 20amp Mtronics Vipers, so anything Action of similar spec will be fine. Also one speed control per motor..

So can I run two of the Action P94 together, on the plan I am looking at it shows 2 graupner speed 600 in to one P94 through a double P95 fused to 15A.

At this rate it would have been easier to have a narrow boat!!   {:-{ {:-{

inertia

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 04:56:11 pm »

So can I run two of the Action P94 together, on the plan I am looking at it shows 2 graupner speed 600 .....

No, Tim, it doesn't.
Click this link and look again. http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Model%20Slipway%20Tamar%2012v.pdf   
It shows Speed 700 BB Turbo 12v motors and one P94. The P94 runs two motors, so if you fit one of these you won't need two ESCs. Here's the datasheet http://www.componentshop.co.uk/pdf/P94.pdf  Set the little switches on board to run it in Mode 4 (50% mix) and turn R1 all the way anticlockwise to start with.
Substitute the Component Shop 775 motors for the ones drawn, unless you want to pay a lot more for the Graupner motors.
Omit the bow-thruster, P93, P95/1 (single fuse), P100, P104, P101 and speaker. Naturally you could chose to leave the sound system in place - it's your model, and the sound of twin MAN diesels certainly adds to the general realism of the thing.
QED.
INFRS.
A narrow boat is much simpler....if you like that sort of model. The Trent was your choice, however, so we'll do what we can to help you with that one first  8)
DM

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 06:13:08 pm »

Thanks for all the help much appreciated looks like I have a shopping list tommajke ready for Saturday.

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 11:07:30 pm »

Well done some rummaging and low and behold found some motors in my draws that I forgot I had bought, bingo only pair of 775s from component shop  :-)) :-))

inertia

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 08:35:10 am »

There are two different types and they look identical. You need the faster type, which should do around 12000RPM on 12v. The slower type really won't do the job.

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 02:02:02 pm »

They are  the ones I have,  just need the batteries  :-)

inertia

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 02:23:40 pm »

Tim
I would suggest you contact Kyje (rhymes with 'sky') at CompShop with a shopping list before Friday. That way you can be sure they will have what you want, all packed up and ready for a speedy transaction.
Dave M

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 02:48:31 pm »

Will do.

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 05:00:35 pm »

Well fingers crossed after attending ellesmere I now have everything for my Tent just got to fit in all in now.
 %% %%
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.