Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest Phantom Update  (Read 5987 times)

DaveB

Latest Phantom Update
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:34:43 pm »

Got a few days off so got back to work on Phantom, picture 1 shows most of the electrics finished powered by 2 12v 7amp batteries one for the drive the other for the auxillaries via a distribution board, jjc old smokey, jjc turbo cat sound generator, and lights, on a seperate circuit to minimize interference 2 water pumps for the monitors. picture 2 shows sub decks on , pictures 3 and 4 show progress on superstructure.
Dave

bigford

Re: Flying Phantom Update
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:55:42 pm »

dave the boats looking great. i wish any of my boats were that
far along O0  how big is the jjc ol smokie. L W H  i'm trying to see
where she will fit on my boat

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:22:22 pm »

Hi Dave, what motor and speed controller are you using?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DaveB

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:54:22 pm »

Hi Bigford
The jjc old smokey is 70mm wide and 110mm long hope that is some help.
And hello Martin  the motor is a Bosch car blower motor i bought from mobile marine about 5 years ago coupled with a 43x Electronize speed controller, had a bit of trouble getting a descent coupling as the shaft is 8mm and went for a ic coupling from SHG.
She's come along since the last update managed to get some paint on the hull and the masts have been added on the superstructure i'm in the middle of wiring at the moment '40 plus lights' as soon as they are finished i'll do some more photo's
Dave

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 07:21:41 pm »

....Hi Dave....

Your" FLYING PHANTOM" model looks brilliant...

Just one thing....Why fit a sound module that sounds absolutely nothing like the real boat...

I see  & hear her on a regular basis working on the Clyde & she sounds nothing like these sound units...

Remember that the best muffler of sound is water...As she passes by you can hardly hear the engines...

I have this argument with my mates at the club who all have these noisy things fitted...

I worked on a few tugs & if it sounded like that she would be getting booked into the Repair Yard...Just ask any tugmen what they think...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

DaveB

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 07:38:25 pm »

Hi Norry
Thanks for the comments, you have a great advantage over me you can actually see and hear these ships where i live they are right out in the middle of the channel. I do agree they can be intrusive but on some models it's preferable to whining motors etc, not that its a problem on Phantom.
Dave

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 08:00:57 pm »

Oh right............................!
Water is actually one of the best conductors of sound, far more efficient in this respect than air.
Airborne sounds may be carried for several miles if the source was loud enough in the first place, but propogation will be far greater in the direction of prevailing wind conditions, water borne sounds however will be carried for many miles in all directions radiating from the source, lower frequency sounds carrying even further with examples of large marine mammals communicating over hundreds of miles commonplace.
Modern naval long range communications between home ports and submarine squadrons, using E.L.F. or Extra Low Frequency sounds communicate over thousands of miles. Even at extreme range audio signals can distinguish between various marine life or merchant and marine traffic, with the well noted example of a certain Russian submarine being notified of a mechanical fault on return to base by the fleet commander......the information being sent by a NATO submarine who had not only recognised  the ship, but also the fact that she was damaged and could clearly be heard to be showing some new deviation from her usual acoustic signature.

Norry just hates sound units! ;D

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 09:26:38 pm »

....Hi Guys...

Blazing Penguin is Right...I hate Sound Units...They are very annoying...

But why go to all the trouble of building a model that looks exactly like the real boat, Then fit one of these noisy things that sound absolutely nothing like the real boat...

I,m going to get a step built on to my soap box because I seem to be on it a lot lately...

Maybe I,m entering my mature years...Or just getting old...

And By The Way Billy Penguin..."WHIT BIG BOOK DID YOU COPY ALL THAT FROM"...

...Best Regards...Norry...A.K.A Uncle Albert...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 09:31:29 pm »

...what Norry going to say when he hears my simulator on my next "Jet Engine" Springer tug!  :D
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 09:38:05 pm »

...Martin...

AS long as your Springer has a Pointy Nose like Concorde I,ll no say a word about it other than "THAT WEE BOAT LOOKS LIKE CONCORDE"

Will you be at Blackpool at the Weekend Boss ?...

...Norry...

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 10:03:48 pm »

Ah didnae copy nuthing!.....Im just no as green as Im cabbage looking!  ;D

I was doing some research into acoustic propagation across varying thermoclines, having been led to this by some interesting results studying colour degradation in various depths, my wee sechi disk wis fair worn oot I can tell ye!  8)

DaveB

Latest Phantom Update
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 04:26:05 pm »

Bought a new camera today so i thought i'd better do an update to check it out, i finished painting the hull early this morning then set to work on completing the mast, loads of lights done, more to add around the wheelhouse so much to do and so little time. Next job will be to fit the fendering around the hull before targetting the superstructure.
Dave

DaveB

Re: Latest Phantom Update
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 06:54:28 pm »

Sorry should have added the update to the previous one so here goes
Dave

DaveB

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 04:06:24 pm »

I managed to get a fair bit more done over the christmas break before work reared it's ugly head again. Picture 1 shows the fendering fixed and name added. Picture 2 shows the view from the stern so far port of registry now on, superstructure primed. Picture 3 shows a close up of the deck lights they are modified graupner units they have homemade mountings as i could'nt find suitable. Picture 4 shows a close up of the wiring inside the superstructure, i've used copper tape in an effort to minimize the number of wires going down inside the hull to the right of the picture is the plumbing for the old smokey. Hopefully i'll be able to crack on a bit unless the boss says there's more decorating to do.
Dave

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 04:12:54 pm »

There are up to date photos of her on the Shipsnostalgia website Dave but in case you didn't know she overturned just before Christmas in the River Clyde with the loss of 3 crew ( 1 man survived ). They are recovering her hull from the river this week to find out what happened. It would be a fitting tribute for the men for you model to be seen on the water Dave
Davie Tait,
Scotland

DaveB

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 04:16:53 pm »

I'm hoping to have her ready for sailing at Beale park in May it's a bit of a tall order but i'll have to see what i can do. I just hope i can do the crew justice with the build.
Dave

japottinger

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 09:15:46 pm »

Pleased to see my model plan on the wall!
Great looking model.
regards,
Jim

DaveB

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 06:20:18 pm »

Superstructure now painted, most of the lights connected, on the stern i've brought the grease tube up through the deck and fitted a packing case over the top to disguise it. I've now got to fit the stantions and paint some crew figures, i've decided to upgrade the speed controller to the electronize 30 amp version the 10 version kept blowing fuses, Beale park may be a bit optomistic for her maiden voyage as i'm of to China soon so work will slow down, may have to aim for Alfold instead. Got to thank Les at TYNE models she's a great kit and has been a pleasure to build and to Jim for the plan more pictures as i go.
Dave

barryfoote

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 08:11:02 am »

Good morning Dave,

She is looking superb. I particularly like the photos of the interior set up. Given me some ideas. Keep up the good work amigo.

Barry

DaveB

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 06:44:22 pm »

Hi Barry
Forgot to mention and to photograph the switch for the lights, connected from the distribution board through jack plugs to a push button switch behind the front portside porthole as the switcher is busy with other stuff just poke a pencil or something through and of you go.
Dave

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 06:18:26 pm »

Norry,
Any idea what has happened with the original Flying phantom, I know she has been raised.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

DaveB

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 09:07:22 pm »

Although not quite finished i could'nt wait any longer so of to Alfold for her maiden voyage i was very pleased by her performance on the water a good turn of speed and sailing right on the waterline a little unsteady but i'm sure once i get used to her that will improve, the water cannons had a range of about 12ft the motor got a bit warm so i think a cooling fan will need to go in i'll have to get a move on and find the last few items to finish her off but all in all i'm very happy a good maiden voyage and great day out with good weather what more can you ask for. When i get my head round it i'll put a short video of her on u tube and a link.
Dave

barryfoote

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 07:56:01 am »

Dave,

That is one cracking tug....A credit to you...

Barry

japottinger

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 04:23:26 pm »

Great looking model, pity the original Clyde Shipping colour scheme was changed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.