Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most of my models are water damaged  (Read 1815 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Most of my models are water damaged
« on: March 03, 2016, 08:44:54 am »

Well most of my models are stored in the outhouse. We had lots of rain and hailstones last night and the roof leaked right over where my models are stored, a lot of the gilded parts of the Soliel will need redoing (they've gone all cloudy, I have them on the radiator hoping they will clear when dry) to say I'm upset is an understatement.

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Most of my models are water damaged
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 01:07:10 pm »

Any of your neighbours got a dehumidifier? If so put that and the models into a small space and try that, you might just salvage them1

Trevor

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 07:46:05 pm »

Hi all well the after a day to calm down and looking tonight, its not as bad as I feared, most of the bases are rubbished, but the models are ok and the gilding on the Soliel bits have cleared up (just a bit of staining on the transom )
the models just need a wash in clean water, the warspite dio base could be saved but to be fair its taking up too much space so will probably break it down and make some smaller dios I'm just glad the Thermopylae and Soliel hulls were in the living room.
here's the warspite dio

and here's the Soliel guilding

As I said after a day to calm down not as bad as I thought, not too worried about the bases as I needed room anyway, so maybe its a good thing.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 08:45:33 pm »

Its all a question of perspective

The lobsters in the kitchen of the titanic considered it a miracle  {-)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:16:58 pm »

You had the foresight to walk away for a while and calm down, and that is much of the process of sorting things out so kudos to you Ken.

On the bright side, the Warspite dio did it's job, you learnt a lot and had fun building it, and others enjoyed it as well.

The staining might even add some weathering potential given all the snot and salt the sea throws at ships of all eras and types.

Bloomin weather, I looked at the hail we had and while it was insignificant down my way (Somerset) I wondered if it would get worse here, or in other places. I remember the ping pong ball sized hail we had in the early eighties in West Sussex. It trashed our neighbour's currugated plastic greenhouse.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.