Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Then and Now...  (Read 4931 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Then and Now...
« on: March 03, 2016, 10:21:09 am »

Thanks to successive government lack of foresight and disdain for the hard working people of this country, this is what happens. Same view of the St Andrews dock (now St Andrews quay) in Hull. 1935 and 2015.

The final nail in the coffin of fishing in Hull was the Cod Wars with Iceland. Now I have heard stories of this being down to the U.S government applying pressure on the UK to desist with fishing, because Iceland threatened the U.S with closing their cold war air bases if they didn't intervene.

Whether that is true or not only time and the official secrets limitations on releasing documents will tell.

inertia

Re: Then and Now...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 12:02:30 pm »

That second photo could be just about anywhere in the UK. Thanks for cheering me up, Brian!
I shall now go and do today's grocery shopping.......at LIDL.
DM

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 09:54:54 pm »

Well Brian, that first picture looks amazing to see so many small steamers huddled together O0

DM, if I am not mistaken, you could visit St Andrews Dock car park.....do the grocery shopping at LIDIL, have a wonder through the B&Q Wharehouse & finally have a curry luncheon with Liz at the big two story Curry House   {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 11:28:59 pm »

Well Brian, that first picture looks amazing to see so many small steamers huddled together O0

DM, if I am not mistaken, you could visit St Andrews Dock car park.....do the grocery shopping at LIDIL, have a wonder through the B&Q Wharehouse & finally have a curry luncheon with Liz at the big two story Curry House   {-)

Derek
Ah! Sweet, innocent colonial! You're entirely forgiven for not knowing that 'Curry's' is an electrical appliance and computer retail chain and 'LIDL' has only one I, but your spelling of 'warehouse' might just be a Freudian slip... :o
DM

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 11:56:41 pm »

Let us just be glad the 3rd. letter was not an 'O'.
Much as this offers a picture of what was.  One still has to ask, was there nobody then questioning how long it could last?

Apparently the next problem we can expect to face is the decomposing plastic flip flops in the various oceans going into nano size particles and working their way up the food chain to us.  It is in many seabirds who feed on the fish.

But who am I?  Just a M.O.G. (Miserable old git)
regards Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 11:59:23 pm »

Sorry DM......the image was taken from such an obtuse angle I found it difficult to see all of the names [& spelling] of the various shops

LIDL...we don't have them in OZ [yet]

B&Q...originally thought it may have been Bang & Olfsen the Swedish stereo people

Currys...well I did think it was a largish building for a Curry restaurant

Wharehouse.....well , but at least I didn't call it a whorehouse

So the only remaining question is ...where did Liz & you enjoy that luncheon?......from memory yours was steak & kidney pie & a glass of stout with Liz having the green garden salad with a glass of OZ Chardeny   {-)... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 12:08:52 am »

Hi Derek, I looked on your web site, looks good.
I shall be in Woy Woy in 2 weeks time but not sure how far my son would drive for a train ride!
regards Roy

inertia

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 08:36:56 am »

So the only remaining question is ...where did Liz & you enjoy that luncheon?......from memory yours was steak & kidney pie & a glass of stout with Liz having the green garden salad with a glass of OZ Chardeny   {-) ... Derek
Derek
I think the lunch was a figment of your imagination, but we would probably go here in reality http://www.thehandandheart.co.uk/
I shall be there this very afternoon, discussing rugby, Donald Trump, gardening, jazz and the Greek barmaid, Dana, with long-time buddy "Irish" Dave Baxter.
And "Chardeny"?? Sorry, m'duck - more likely to be N*w Z**l*nd Sauvignon Blanc.
DM

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 09:48:37 am »

All those ships? The dock itself at times used to be so full you could walk from one side to the other just crossing ships, with others waiting outside the lock gates for their chance to land their catches.

But think on, 200 steam trawlers each with a crew between 6 and 12 men, thats a lot of lost jobs. But not just them, what about the coal miners whose coal was needed for fuel - lost jobs. What about the bobbers (fish landers/unloaders) - lost jobs. The wholesalers and then the retailers of the fish - lost jobs. Then move on to the peripherals, the net makers, the riggers, the painters, the engineers.

200 ships maybe, but thousands of jobs depended on them and were lost when the fishing fleet was consigned to history. Fish isn't landed at Hull any more the industry has all but vanished.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 11:36:11 am »

Eorpa TV programme the other night showed the same for the sardine trade in Portugal. The processers , canning factories etc are having to buy the fish from North Africa.  The North Sea  is full of Spanish fishing boats while UK boats suffer quota restrictions in the same (home) waters. >>:-(  However it is heartwarming to see the MacAskill refrigerated trucks going down the A9 from the Scottish west coast with shellfish and crustations for the Spanish market.  I wonder how many Brit tourists get tucked into an authentic paella on the Costas that travelled further than they did {-)    Is it a myth or just an urban legend that they fly prawns to the far east to be peeled and then sent back to Europe for sale ???
..well can you land on this?

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 12:13:37 pm »

All those ships? The dock itself at times used to be so full you could walk from one side to the other just crossing ships, with others waiting outside the lock gates for their chance to land their catches.

But think on, 200 steam trawlers each with a crew between 6 and 12 men, thats a lot of lost jobs. But not just them, what about the coal miners whose coal was needed for fuel - lost jobs. What about the bobbers (fish landers/unloaders) - lost jobs. The wholesalers and then the retailers of the fish - lost jobs. Then move on to the peripherals, the net makers, the riggers, the painters, the engineers.

200 ships maybe, but thousands of jobs depended on them and were lost when the fishing fleet was consigned to history. Fish isn't landed at Hull any more the industry has all but vanished.

well, as the Mad Woman who ran this country for a while would like to think, the market(makers!) rule. The onward march of global capitalism.

Trevor

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 12:50:41 pm »

'Is it a myth or just an urban legend that they fly prawns to the far east to be peeled and then sent back to Europe for sale ???'

Yes, they fly them business class  so that they get free cocktails en route.

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 12:56:56 pm »

Being a fisherman don't get me started on quotas and what the British government has done to the industry etc  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 01:05:02 pm »

Business class,  fleeced not peeled.
..well can you land on this?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 05:50:26 pm »

Talking of shipping to China. On my doorstep (3 miles away) is the largest white marble quarry in the world (so they say) it is now 55% chinese owned. They ship 100's of tonnes of marble blocks the size of a 20ft shipping container back to China. It is processed there and then returned to Europe for sale. According to the chinese this is cheaper than processing it in Spain!

Back to fishing, our local market has a dozen or more fish merchants, each stall tells you were the fish was caught, its amazing how much comes from around the british isles.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 07:56:00 am »

'Is it a myth or just an urban legend that they fly prawns to the far east to be peeled and then sent back to Europe for sale ???'

Yes, they fly them business class  so that they get free cocktails en route.

I guess that would be a prawn cocktail then,  %)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 05:41:48 pm »

I remember as a young man, watching Trawlers from hull being towed up the Medway for scrap. They looked immaculate and where fully stored, they pushed up on the seawall and barrels of diesel rolled across them then they were burnt with boats in davit's, before the gas axes worked on them. I worked into Hull a couple of times in the early 1970's and it was a sad sight, but the final killer for fishing fleets was the Common Market, it allowed in all those European boats in by the hundreds and they take the fish back to Europe. It was also the end of British Coasting trade, as the German fleet was just before we went in was being laid up and being repossessed by the banks. After entry they all went with including 75% of the apple orchards, but Edward Heath was rewarded with a cheque of £280 odd thousand by the community.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 07:12:52 pm »

Here's a couple more, this time of the city centre and not the river front.

The first one back in the 1920's before the dock at the top was filled in to become a public recreation area. The second photo is it filled in and the dock is off to the right side (photo has been turned 90 degrees) The triangular building is the old Dock Offices which since the 1070's has become the Maritime Museum.

The last photo is the monument bridge which was a lifting bridge to allow access to the dock in the first photo, the dock office building is to the right of the photo. This area is still called monument bridge but has long since been filled in, this can be seen in the second photo. Also in this photo at the bottom can be seen the remains of what was called the railway dock. Now it has a shopping complex built on stilts over the water, this is large building also at the bottom of the second photo.

The march of progress. Is it just me who sees this 'progress' as a euphemism for the rout of jobs. A Luddite I am and will always be.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 08:07:54 pm »

Hello Brian60, I think I must be a luddite too, back in the 1980's I did a huge amount of travelling around the UK by train, all I remember is large amounts of freight sidings being ripped up for car parks and housing and when one train I was on was diverted around Stoke  from the main West line north, miles upon miles of factories being demolished. The only thought which went through my mind was were has all that work gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.