Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Intrepid, 1:96 scale Sirmar semi-kit  (Read 34245 times)

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
Re: HMS Intrepid, 1:96 scale Sirmar semi-kit
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2016, 06:36:54 pm »

Hi Edmund , Did you do the final ballast tests to make sure the dock floods.
Dave ok2

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2016, 08:34:08 pm »

I decided on a system that pumps water from end to end of the ship.  2 litres of water in the bow compartment for ballast.  It in fact tests showed it only needed about half of that in the stern ballast tanks to fully flood the stern dock.  The dock has flooding ports through the bottom of the hull to enable it in turn to fill faster.  My memory of Intrepid filling her dock was that the stern door remained closed until the dock was full of water and then the tail gate was lowered and the landing craft could come and go.

The advantage of pumping from one end to the other is that as the bow gets lighter the stern gets heavier, which should mean less pumping.  Also at the end of the day, the ballast can be dumped making a slightly lighter model to take home with you.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2016, 11:40:09 pm »

My memory of Intrepid filling her dock was that the stern door remained closed until the dock was full of water and then the tail gate was lowered and the landing craft could come and go.

That's something I've never really thought about but it makes perfect sense. That way, any running seas are held at bay by the tailgate for as long as possible pending departure of the landing craft.

Thanks for the info Edmund. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2016, 07:25:12 pm »

Hi Edmund , That was what i thinking of ( ballest transfer) please keep me updated.
Best Regards Dave  :}

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2016, 08:11:52 pm »

A little more work on the decks!  A few of the deck fittings in place and busy casting a few more out of resin.  The body of the crane is carved out of bass-wood with the windows simply painted on.  No railings as yet. 

Lighting is going to be important.  There is a flashing warning light on the crane, lights around the flight deck and warning lights when the tail gate lowers, as well as lights lighting the dock. 

And a Wessex helicopter has landed on the flight deck!  I remember being taken for a flight in one of these from the flight deck of Intrepid.  It was so noisy you could hear nothing and it vibrated and shook.  The crew left the main door wide open and the pilot took pleasure in flying us around Intrepid tipping over so far I almost felt I'd fall right out of the aircraft.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2016, 12:02:03 am »

The crew left the main door wide open and the pilot took pleasure in flying us around Intrepid tipping over so far I almost felt I'd fall right out of the aircraft.

I was given the same treatment in my ships Wasp helicopter - tipped it almost on the 90 deg angle then dropped like a stone, "attacking" the ship. :o
Loved it at the time....

Your build is coming along at a pace by the way. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2016, 10:38:13 pm »

Amen. It amazes me how quick some people are at building complex models like this.
Pond weed is your enemy

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2016, 11:14:42 pm »

Quote from: ballastanksian link=topic=54110.msg565385#msg565385 date=1461for 88293
Amen. It amazes me how quick some people are at building complex models like this.

It's so easy to waste time watching TV and doing other rubbish.  Escape to the workshop instead! Though this weekend I've got to go hiking and camping in the Cairngorms.
So tonight installed a very nifty device from Action Electronics , a mixer for motors and rudder.  I've never used one before  but I  love  it.  Very clever bit of kit.  I've always used tank controls before on twin props

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2016, 09:24:53 pm »

I couldn't get mine to work with the other gubbins in my destroyer. I am sure its something I have done so will play with it on another model. The principle of a mixer/ESC system is great.
Pond weed is your enemy

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2016, 09:35:14 pm »

It does say it won't work with certain digital radio controls.  I spent a long time setting it up with lots of mistakes! Both props going clockwise ( one forwards and one backwards therefore ) Then getting props right but rudder operating in opposite direction. Can't reverse servos easily on this cheap tx so ended up crossing the rudder wires to the servo horns to get it right.  It now appears to work properly.   Can't wait to see how it might go on the water.  I have chosen the full reversing the inner prop on full rudder option.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2016, 08:32:30 pm »

Some progress has been made.  How the day job gets in the way!  Especially when it means being away at weekends as well sometimes!

So superstructure is started.  How complicated this ship is.  I've never attempted a ship where one needs plan profile and section of the drawings all at the same time to be sure of how the structure goes together.  Even then one needs to refer to photographs to be absolutely sure. 

And then like all warships there is so much to detail.  It looks complex now but there is still the vents, grills and air conditioning systems, railings and the whole complex davit systems for ship's boats and landing craft.  The davit system is something I'm wanting to have working so that the landing craft on the davits can be let down to the water.  They won't detach from the downfalls, but it should look impressive.  There is plenty of room in the superstructure for all the mechanics and electronics to make it happen.  I have a plan - more on this anon.

The superstructure is a mixture of thin 2mm ply decks and thin plastic sheet.  Lightness is the key.  Never be tempted to make the topsides of a ship too heavy.  Too many models disappoint because of stability problems.

A note about the photos - the workshop has rather harsh down-lighters and they pick up all sorts of blemishes and shine in the corners of the structure.  It will look better in natural light.  However the photos are also good in that they show up all the problems - much better than my eyes - is this an age thing?  Certainly I don't notice things until I look at the photos and say to myself - better go back and paint that again!

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2016, 09:49:17 pm »

:-))  Absolutely A1. Great job, she looks great.
Cheers,

-Adam-

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2016, 11:45:14 pm »

- much better than my eyes - is this an age thing?

Short answer - Yes.

As for the model, she is coming together nicely - lots of detail beginning to show. Great looking work on the fo'c'sle. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2016, 01:44:54 pm »

She is coming together Edmund, take one step at a time, because considering the big picture can be daunting I find.
We have two Guys in our Club here in Western Australia, starting to build Fearless and Intrepid in 1/72nd scale, and they will find your build posts very helpful.
Keep up the good work Sir!

Nige

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2016, 02:30:04 pm »

Hi Edmund,

This is my L10 in need of some TLC and serious dust removal but still looks great on the water.

Enjoy the build..
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2016, 03:03:12 pm »

This is my L10 in need of some TLC and serious dust removal

Looking fabulous!  I'm envious!  I only hope Intrepid looks as good one day. 

She's a later refit I see - 1990's?  One gets to look at so many pictures that one notes every little changed fitting and detail!

Do you have working features such as dock and davits?

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2016, 03:17:33 pm »

starting to build Fearless and Intrepid in 1/72nd scale

Hi Nige,

1/72 is quite colossal, but has the advantage of the availability of Airfix kits for the helicopters and vehicles and sailors.  Seriously impressive though and I hope they are going to get everything to work on board.  As you say the big picture can be very daunting - there is a lot of ship to work on.    At the moment I'm concentrating on just a small  area, the bridge with its complex mezzanine deck and foremast. 

I'd say wheelhouse, but from what I remember the ship's wheel was a small thing in a windowless room in the bowels of the ship somewhere with a very hypnotic gyro-compass repeater in front of it.  I remember getting yelled at down a brass voice tube by the officer of the watch for steering in the wrong direction!

As for build posts, I think with something where the structure is so complex such as these warships, one almost needs to see some detailed pictures to understand how the structure works.  The plans can be very difficult to follow.  I have trawled through books, the net and films to understand how the ship looks.  I discovered the ability to print off still pictures from film via my computer - very useful to catch unusual angles and views. 

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2016, 03:24:00 pm »

Edmund,

Well if I was to take a close up shot you may not be quite so envious and of course the serious DUST!! There are some issues and bit's hanging off! I'll dig out some close up shots of the bridge - I did not build this so can't claim that one. Despite all that it still looks the business even when close up on the water. The dock does work but currently again needs TLC as it also turns the boat into a submarine!

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2016, 08:52:40 am »

Edmund,

Some pics which may/may not help!

C-3PO

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2016, 11:45:42 am »

Great pictures, and they'll be a big help especially in bridge area which is very difficult.  Despite being a sister to Intrepid, Fearless had notable differences.  The cranes for example were of lattice construction, whereas on Intrepid (thankfully)  they were plated - much easier to make from plastic card and thin plywood!

I like your crew members.  Do you know anything about them?  Are they 1/96th scale or are they 00 railway figures?  A friend sailing a Type 45 frigate on Sunday, 1/96th scale as this is, has a crew of H0 or  00 figures and they are all just six-footers and look fine.  I'd like to find some suitable crew though on a ship like this most would be on the flight deck I suspect.

Do you have landing craft in the dock?

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2016, 12:36:23 pm »

Edmund,

Not sure about figures - close up may help. Landing craft x4 attached to boat not in dock

C-3PO

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2016, 08:18:49 pm »

Well here's my take on the upper conning position of the bridge.  A difficult bit of modelling for my clumsy fingers.

Included are the foremast, the seacat director deck and the pelorus and the foremast navigation lights.  The wires emerging are for the bridge lights (red for night vision) and the nav lights.  The intention is to look like a Christmas tree at night time, though lights can add interest in day time as well.  At the moment I have only routed cables for the most difficult lights.  Still to do in this area, railings of course and all the wire work and aerials of the mast.

Second photo shows the bridge glued in position in pride of place on the lower bridge chart house.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2016, 07:43:56 pm »

Hi Edmund  , Have you tested the rear dock flooding yet,  {:-{

Best Regards Dave

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2016, 08:47:07 pm »

Checked in the domestic test tank (it's a large cast iron Edwardian type) and that proved that just under 2 litres of water pumped from front to back flooded the dock effectively. I'm using cheap 12v aquarium  pumps which only pump in one direction but you can pump water back through them  if that makes sense.  Reverse the current and the other pump kicks in and thevdock empties again.

How's your build progressing?

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2016, 10:04:19 pm »

Getting there!  Funnels, masts and ventilator grills - yes they were red in one colour picture from early in her career.  The detail makes a ship but it gets slower and slower.  One looks forward to fitting more than 400 individual stanchions for railing and working davits for the side slung landing craft.  The large landing craft for the dock are started, and a little casting session produced a quick series of simple small landing craft for the davits, based on a wooden plug I'd carved. 

One nice touch is  a series of warning signs from BECC stuck on certain lockers and on the pillars for the radars and the seacat launchers.  They certainly add atmosphere...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.