Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Intrepid, 1:96 scale Sirmar semi-kit  (Read 34232 times)

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
Re: HMS Intrepid, 1:96 scale Sirmar semi-kit
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2016, 10:17:17 pm »

By the way, looking at the photos I see the cross trees look all squint.  I've checked in real life and they are straight and they say the camera never lies!!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2016, 10:26:02 pm »

they say the camera never lies!!

No - the camera just bends the truth {-)

The model is looking very busy now - nice work Edmund :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2016, 07:55:41 pm »

Finally the sun shines after weeks of rain.  I couldn't resist taking Intrepid down to the pond and giving her a sea trial.

There is obviously a lot of work still to do, but it was good to see if she floats the right way up and whether the engines work as they should.

The result, a very stable ship, and the geared motors are just right for the propellers.  Plenty of power but not too much.  The Action Electronics  motor mixer helped the manoeuvrability with good sharp steering though perhaps a little violent with the reversing inside propeller.  Problems with weed however.  It's creeping up everywhere in the pond - I'll be having to use paddle steamers for the rest of the summer!

I haven't connected the anchor and stern door and pumps yet, but the sea trials give confidence that the boat is going to perform well on the water. 

So a few more railings attached when I got home, but its the davits that are the big issue that I'm thinking about how I'm going to tackle.

No photos on the pond - but next time....

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2016, 09:13:51 pm »

You have made excellent progress Edmund. When I read your comments about C3PO's model I thought you were ages away from completion, but you have got her a good distance towards finishing by the look of things :-))

I can't wait to see her on the water (I am sure you can't wait either!)
Pond weed is your enemy

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2016, 10:20:22 pm »

Been a long time again since I posted but railings are such a bore!  Almost 10 metres in length of railings.  I quickly decided against the individual stanchions as they weren't strong enough and went for the photo-etched Scalelink ones which are a little heavy in outline but are strong enough for the knocks and bumps of the pond.

Also as promised the working davits for the landing craft.  As you can see the main davits are in position and cables will go through into the superstructure to a winch that will raise and lower them to the water line.  A stop switch worked by one of the davits will prevent the winch over-winding in too much.  I had hoped that the landing craft would be launched in sequence but that was too much electronics.  I think we will have forward and then aft landing craft launching.

Photos this time were done with a flash.  Hard shadows in the background.  We need to get Intrepid out into the open air! 

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2016, 07:37:14 pm »

Wow! I cannot wait to see this beautiful model sailing. She looks amazing Edmund. Do you use the same cables that raise and lower the craft to raise and lower the davits or are they separatly activated?????

Pond weed is your enemy

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2016, 08:50:58 pm »

Copying the davits of the original ship, I realised that one can make them purely gravity activated.  As the winch pays out the weight of the landing craft takes the davit to the outboard position.  There is a lug on the davit that prevents it going beyond its outboard position.  The landing craft has a sling that can't go through the pulley at the end of the davit.

When the landing craft is raised, the davit will stay in the outboard position by gravity until the sling reaches the pulley and then the davit is raised into the inboard position.  As it reaches its final position the davit touches a micro switch that shuts off the winch.

One cable does the whole job, though that is of course doubled per landing craft.  All the landing craft are going to be operated by one winch - they will all lower at the same time though only one micro switch will control all of them.  I think I shall use elastic thread so there is no danger of over winding the winch and damaging the davits.

Lot of progress today, with all the davits in place, the air conditioning vents in place, and aerials.  I'll try and get a couple of photographs up of the latest - it really is coming together.  I just have the two landing craft in the stern to complete and some tidying up of the paint work, and the electronics and lighting wired up.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2016, 09:16:36 pm »

And two photos of the davits.  A landing craft temporarily hangs from one davit....

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2016, 07:06:13 pm »

That is an elegant way to do it and saves having lots of wiring and controls etc.

Pond weed is your enemy

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2016, 05:38:03 pm »

Almost there, though there is more detailing that can be done, but the landing craft are all in the davits with a winch to operate them and the stern door is linked up to a servo.  It does look so much better in day light!

To do:  the switch for the pumps, the lighting to be completed, and the large landing craft for the stern dock.  I also discovered that the davits have a tendency to go into the stowed position as they haul the landing craft up despite their weight so a spring will be needed on them to keep them out.

Sea trials and ballasting on Sunday. Hope for some good weather......

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2016, 08:33:21 pm »

hi Edmond, really hope the trials go well,
Dave  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2016, 09:18:00 pm »

Likewise, shes going to look a bobby dazzler on the water  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2016, 04:32:07 pm »

Have you tried a lump of lead in the landing craft to negate the tendency for the davit to roll back?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2016, 06:08:49 pm »

I did try lead but it didn't do the job.  I have for the moment made little springs from piano wire which exert a little pressure on the davits.  Two problems - one is the power of the spring is enough to push back the davits from the inboard position against the motor.  The second that the main problem seems to be the thread used for the falls which is catching at certain points. 

Here is a short video just taken.  All works nicely until winding up where half way up alarming things happen as the davit flicks back out....  Click the link should work....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDp8HUsYTuI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2016, 08:38:08 pm »

Hm yes, a bit jerky. Are your pulleys free enough? Is there any gap between the pulleys and the inside of the davits where the string could temporarily jam? Is the angle of entry and exit through the pulley right or is it causing a drag as it passes through to cause the juddering?

Grr, you might have to go for separate davit actuation after all  {:-{

Pond weed is your enemy

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2016, 09:07:21 pm »

I've replaced the thread with a plastic  thread and it now moves freely. It also doesn't seem to need the springs any more.  However i need a better connection between the geared motor and the winch shaft as that is slipping now.  Sea trials tomorrow if the weather is fine and we'll sort the mechanical details after that...

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2016, 10:32:11 pm »

Great to hear that the solution was that easy. I hope your trials go well tomorrow.
Pond weed is your enemy

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2016, 09:43:38 am »

Video of the new improved davits - much smoother.  Click link to see....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Vebcv3KoQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No springs or weights, just cable like fishing line which runs smoothly through the ends of the davits.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2016, 11:57:22 am »

And a video of her sailing the Swannie Ponds this morning.  A bit more ballast required, hence the large battery in the dock later on in the film, but around 3 and a half minutes in you can see the davits operating.  Thanks to my wife who operated the paddle steamer camera ship!

Click on link to view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhdYPyG50E0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2016, 12:08:10 pm »

Excellent videos Edmund :-))...the raising and lowering of the ships boats on the water don't display that little jerkiness seen in the first video

The vessel also confirms to be highly manoeuvrable ................. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2016, 03:32:39 pm »

Well here is a little addition to the fleet.  Two landing craft for the Intrepid.  Just 27cm long, and 7cm wide made of plywood balsa and plastic card, it was as much as I could do to squeeze rudder servo rudder, motor from cannibalised servo, battery pack and servo to operate bow door into each of them.  They float a little deep.

So first attempt on the water and one of them was a bit sticky on the rudder.  Each uses three channels from a six channel set so the idea is that you operate each of them with one hand and one stick, but they both look the same and I can't work our which one I'm controlling!!

So a very short video, and hopefully another one soon when I have it all worked out a little better!  Click on the link to enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAROf-W0NRc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2016, 10:39:34 pm »

They look quite good actually.

You could put a flag on each of them, say using the international flags for L and R, to assist with manoeuvres - just a thought. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2016, 11:06:28 pm »

Good stuff Edmond  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2016, 07:33:43 am »

Edmund may I complement you on a fantastic build, she looks the dogs doo daa,s can I ask you where you got the Wessex helicopter from as I have been looking for one in 1/96 scale and can only find them in 1/72 or 1/48 scale or is it scratch built?.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2016, 08:34:54 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments! 

Would that the Wessex were scratch built but that is way beyond my capabilities as a modeller!  No, they are 1:100 scale Italeri models whijh I obtained on that well known auction site from a model shop in Germany - tom-modellbau.de .  A quick search on Google revealed them on Ebay though I couldn't find them directly.  They are quite expensive for one but  the same postage is charged for any quantity which soon brings them below £10.  They are diecast metal, though not too heavy, undercarriage is a rather delicate plastic as are the rotors.  Nice models however!  They say "Rescue" on them, which I just ignore. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.