Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air sea rescue boats  (Read 3300 times)

bertie

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Air sea rescue boats
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:51:11 pm »

I am building a British Power Boat Mk3 , the plans I have used are 1/27 scale. Any Ideas where I can source the revolving gun turrets, I believe they were built by Armstrong , or failing that when were the turrets removed just leaving the guns in position. Finally were the guns Vickers K guns or Brownings.
Cheers 

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Air sea rescue boats
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 04:30:46 pm »

Hi Bertie
Welcome to the forum! :-))
I've heard of the Mk 1 (BPB Co 64ft) and the Mk 2 (BMB Co 63ft 'Whaleback') but not the Mk 3. Are you referring to the RTTL Mk 3? I believe that some were made by British Power Boat and Vosper and varied in having three props (WW2) and two props (post war). Problems we all have are getting gun turrets,  most modellers make them from scratch using vac form moulded clear plastic for the perspex and strips of plasticard for the frame work. The guns also varied, most had Vickers K, some had Lewis 0.303in not sure about Brownings but 20mm Oerlikons were also fitted later on when the air war got very nasty and the Germans went after the ASRLs whilst rescuing airmen.
Best person to speak to is Christian Sheppard, goes by the online name of MTB-hulls. He knows his stuff regarding RAF boats. He also produces some very nice GRP hulls for ASRLs too.
Post some pictures if you can then we can sort your query out.

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

bertie

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 04:57:54 pm »

As you can see I am at the early stage of construction, but I do like to get my ducks in a row.
George Selman at BPBC was able to adopt a more expansive approach; he was able to conceive an original design which was close to the RAF ideal. The result was the 68ft BPB HSL, also known as the BPB Type 3 HSL, but nicknamed the "Hants & Dorset" after the bus. The new HSL was a big and beamy craft in comparison with all other HSLs, and the interior was palatial after the confined spaces of the other types.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 05:17:16 pm »

Hi there, may I ask which plans you are using to construct this model?  Cos as far as I can see that hull (the one in the pic) doesn't resemble a BPB Type 3 HSL vessel.   The actual hull in the pic looks like a Thorneycroft  one, but, that's me maybe being a nit-picker - slap me hands if I am!

Have a look in the Master build section on this Forum under the 63 foot whaleback build - you will see how the domes for the guns were constructed.

aye
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 06:09:46 pm »

I've got that drawing but it's labelled "British Power Boat Co, Type.3.  'Hants' & 'Dorset'.  68ft R.A.F. High Speed Launch"   The name Hants & Dorset refers to the nick name given these launches because of their boxy bus like superstructure.  Hants & Dorset was the local bus company.  The similarity to RTTL is not coincidental as, after the war,  they were stripped of their weapons and re-named as RTTL's.  At a guess I'd go with Vickers 'K' guns or aircraft type Lewis guns in the turrets both of which had horizontally mounted drum magazines.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.