Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arduino Diesel Noise  (Read 4034 times)

d.criddle

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Arduino Diesel Noise
« on: March 10, 2016, 07:44:49 am »

Does anyone know any schematics and code for the arduino to hook up a speaker and connect to the boat to make a diesel sound effect for my boat?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Arduino Diesel Noise
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:07:45 am »

A thread covering this subject has been running for some time now on RCgroups in the Boats, Homebrew Hacks section.

https://www.rcgroups.com/homebrew-hacks-for-model-boats-826/ - Admin
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Dainesh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 04:30:32 pm »

Wow that's sounds good thank you for the videos.
Until now I just use speaker and pwm on the microcontroller.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 05:21:34 pm »

Connect a DAC to your Teensy and get full 44.1khz 16 bit sound

Crude example from a while back - https://soundcloud.com/user-477761400/model-boat-twin-engine

C-3PO aka G6SWJ
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 12:37:17 am »

Not too bad at all C-3PO..........., however I'd suggest the owner checks the Turbo-Charger bearings as at 31 seconds into the clip I am sure I heard a bearing lubrication scream  {-)  .....has anyone else noticed this?......or was it my imagination?  %)

If this 'medium speed banger' engine sound could be amplified to be audible at say 20 foot away and linked to propeller RPM it would be a winner  :-))

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 11:45:58 am »

Hi Derek,

The sound you are listening to is a short sound recording of a real engine (so it could be ANY engine type) - which is then digitally manipulated (bit rate changed/playback volume adjusted) that gives the illusion of the engine running faster/slower.

The same sound file in this simple example is being played twice simultaneously at different bit rates to simulate 2 engines running at the same time but at different speeds.

The sound produced is linked and proportional to the RC handset throttle (some AI will be added to this at some point to make acceleration/de-acceleration more realistic)  Engine start-up/stop sequences will be included. I have some great recordings of engines struggling to start-up which will hopefully add to certain engine types sounding authentic.

The biggest challenge is finding good quality recordings of engine sounds without "interference" - e.g. Wind/Voices/Music etc - If I get to a point that it seems worth it I would commission some high definition recordings of various engine types.

Regarding volume that is as always simply down to how much space you have in any particular model to place your kit and how easy it is to "vent" the speaker to the outside world

For now I am going to use 2 x 5" inch speakers and a 20watt Class D amp - you should be able to hear this @ 100feet!!! -  easy to get sound out of the this boat under the dashboard

Do you have an engine sound/type that you think would be a good example/test to try?

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Dainesh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 01:24:01 pm »

Hi C-3PO,

Thank you.
I thought about the teensy because it is easy to change the pwm frequency.
Instead of a DAC on an Arduino there is the AD9833 DDS, but that is able to create 50%DC signal 😊

I had a project where I need 90deg phase shifted signal (almost at any frequency) and there I used 2 AD9833s they got the reference frequency from the same Xtal, but it is/was absolutely spot on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.