Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastikote aerosols  (Read 2940 times)

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
Plastikote aerosols
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:19:27 am »

Does anyone out there have any comments on the use of Plastikote aerosol sprays?
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Plastikote aerosols
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 10:41:01 am »

Increasingly hard to get hold of due to "new" EU regulations, however when sprayed very light successive coats on sprayed acrylic they are very effective at keeping hull paintwork looking pristine.  Use satin unless you want a semi gloss finish.  I have built up a stock which should last a long time hopefully.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 10:50:21 am »

Hi Popeye,
I have used their satin white from Wilkinsons on several boats with excellent results (on top of Halfords white primer). It is not such a stark brilliant white as some others and I think it looks more realistic.

Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 11:00:16 am »

Hate the stuff with a passion its awful do yourself a favour and buy some car paint from any car parts store Halfords etc.Ive also used a brand called car plan from a local car parts store with good results , no issues unlike with plasticrap.
Mart

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 11:50:15 am »

Use it all the time with very good results.
I've found applying several light coats gives a great finish :-))
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 04:56:09 pm »

I use it, used correctly its good paint.

You have to take into consideration that unlike car paints which are quite thin in the spray can, Plasticote is a heavier paint, the nozzle on the can has a larger orifice than a car paint to take the extra density into account. This can mean that some people have trouble spraying it as it comes out  as a very thick coat of paint - especially if you don't release the button at the end of each stroke. It can take some getting used to if you have only used car paint in the past. I like the clear coat over everything once any other paints have been applied, only because it seems to be a harder more durable paint then car paints.

Don't forget car paints are either cellulose (hard to find nowadays) or synthetic cellulose. Platicote is an acrylic/enamel. You can spray Plasticote on top of car paints but not the other way around or you will get a reaction.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 05:55:27 pm »

Yes, agree with Brian60 that you need to use a different technique to car rattle cans as the Plastikote is thicker. This gives better coverage than the thin car paints but can be easier to over apply. I always try to place the model so that I am spraying mainly onto a horizontal surface rather than a vertical one. I am not sure that Wilkinsons stock Plastikote any more as they seem to sell their own brand - possibly Plastikote re-badged for them, I don't know.

Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 08:59:07 pm »

Shake very well. Keep spray sweeps to a 12" constant distance.  Press button, spray along, stop pressing at end of pass.  Use light 'mist' coverage for each pass. 
Allow at least 20 mins before repeat coats.  Obviously mask up props, shafts, and rudder bearings.
After each coat turn can upside down and spray to clear nozzle.

Here's one I prepared earlier.  I have done all my ships with this and provided you are careful and take your time it always comes out well.  No grimy lake water discolourations even after months of useage.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.