Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: son aged 17 Navy sign up  (Read 3429 times)

boxer

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
son aged 17 Navy sign up
« on: March 15, 2016, 05:57:33 pm »

hi all

My son who is 18 in 3 months just gave me a bit of a shock.

He has done 2 years at college learning to be an electrician.

Having just got back from an apprentice information evening he informs me he has signed up.

It is from 1 to 3 years, so learning to be an electrician on a submarine for the royal navy.

He has found finding anything local virtually impossible and its a big step, so kind folks any body with experiences to enlighten me .

I fully back what ever he chooses but would like to hear from you guys

thanks

Mike

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: son aged 17 navy sign up
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:42 pm »

I have been watching the Royal Navy on TV and it is still making Adults and skilled Trades People of our young ones.
Good Luck to him.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: son aged 17 Navy sign up
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 06:30:12 pm »

I did something very similar, except I joined the RAF!

Joining the military made me the man I am today, it gave me respect, responsibility, and the experience I wanted. Thirteen years later I'm still here and enjoying (I may moan at times) it. Plus it pays you whilst you learn your trade, I got two A levels, a BTECH, two NVQs and an apprenticeship from my first three years.
He'll have fun whilst learning and being paid to do it, the best thing in the world! The military does support its members very well these days, and he will get some decent leave as well, approx 38 days a year, you can do further education too, I'm doing a HND in Aeronautical Engineering two thirds paid for by the RAF.
Good luck to him. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

boxer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 06:44:52 pm »

Thank you gentlemen.

He has been trying to secure an apprentice role locally with no joy, I realise its a good move for him and training will be to the highest standard.

Next moves are medicals etc but from what little information he gave me he seems very keen.

My other son who is 16 signed up as an engineer for tata steel ( local to us ) , it just feels like i may be losing him.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 07:46:22 pm »

Mike, I wish your lad all the luck in the world! In the late 50s I was desperate to follow my father by enlisting in the Royal Navy. During the medical, the Surgeon Commander said he found an anomaly in my heart which denied me entry into the RN. Talk about sick!! Two hours later I enlisted in the Army (Royal Engineers) where I spent 12 happy years and and left with some of the best training anywhere and no MO ever mentioned anything wrong with me. I followed the military with 30 years in the Police and still had no problems with my health. I still think that through a dumb Surgeon Commander the Navy missed out on one of the best Admirals they never had. O0 {-)

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 07:59:30 pm »

Mike,
The best of luck to him. Take what you see on the series about HMS Raleigh with a pinch of salt, they have to make a good programme. It's only 10 weeks and with a good attitude he will get through it. I did 19 years and although there was good and bad I am a much better person for it.

John

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 08:19:55 pm »

Mike I loved my 10years and did not want to leave but had a very ill wife so no choice
in the matter. He should be fine when he gets past training

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 08:47:12 pm »

One of my biggest regrets was not joining the Navy.  I had the chance, I wanted FAA.  They offered helicopters but I wanted fixed wing.  Worst decision of my life to turn that down.

I hope the lad embraces the experience and grabs every opportunity to progress and learn.  You are not losing your son - you will be gaining a Man!

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 09:06:21 pm »

It's always wonderful to see a young person know exactly what They want to do and not to fit in with society's idea of what it wants them to do. i.e. go through A levels and then on to a university to rack up countless thousands ona degree that will be absolutely useless to them in future life and finding a job after their 3 years or more at University.
This country doesen't serve those with a requisition to study an apprenticeship  like was common in my youth.

My friend's daughter had a wish from an early age  to follow her dream and in year 10 received the  worst knock to her confidence anyone could give her. When on mock interviews for a future she was asked by the headteacher and careers teacher what she wanted to do and when she told them she wanted to join the merchant navy she was laughed at by them both.

Well, through such a knock and the lack of support from the school she overcame this, and I have to admit I have never seen a prouder father than my friend when at the end of January this year, still at the age of 18 and the youngest in her intake for this term she gained a place on the course at Fleetwood Nautical college for a foundation degree in Shipping and Maritime operations which will give her,  her eventual ticket to becoming  what she wants to be, and when she qualifies will have her OOW ticket and rings on her arms.

She will also come out with a well paid job from the company which has sponsored her on her 3 year course and no debt from her studies. Her first sea phase, so I have been told will be later this summer with a "trip" to Japan.

So, I hail these young people who don't want to be part of the norm and admire them for what they strive to achieve and the dreams that they aspire to.

Well done to them both.

Jim
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 09:19:54 pm »

I joined as an apprentice at 16 when apprenticeships were 5 years.
I was sad to leave at 40, after 23 years in a job I loved.

It's still a good life.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 10:50:10 pm »

He is setting foot on an adventure and escaping the mundane prospects many teenagers simply accept. Hats off to him. You might even get some really good pictures for a model  :}

Dave

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 11:05:59 pm »

Hi Boxer,
          My eldest son went in to the RN straight from 6th form college and rose to the rank of Chief Petty Officer before transferring to the RAF, finally becoming a Flight Lieutenant.  He has now left after being head-hunted for a very well paid job in civvy street with a full pension - age 40!
          My youngest son went to uni to study aerospace engineering and was taught to fly by the University Air Squadron (RAF). He went to Dartmouth Royal Naval College and is now a Lieutenant Commander and is a rotary wing test pilot.
           Needless to say they both think that the RN is just about the best start that any young person could find . The preliminary training is tough as you will have seen from various tv shows but well worth the hardship....They have both seen far more of the world than I could have ever dreamed of visiting.
           Please forward all our best wishes to your son.
Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 11:45:39 pm »

I take it there is no artificer entry anymore at Fisguard then if he goes to Raleigh ?

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 11:49:40 pm »

I've spent my life at sea in the Merchant Navy including 25 years in the Royal Navy Reserve. My Eldest daughter chose the British Army via cadets through Welbeck, Shrivenham, Sandhurst and Royal Logistic Corps. Now a Major in The Australian Defence Force. Got a good degree which didn't cost us a penny. If you've got the guts and drive I can't think of a better start in life and the sky is the limit if you want it hard enough.
Jerry.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 01:04:51 am »

Service life is good. Perhaps one of the things I regret in life is not staying in, I left after six and a half years. There is a good sense of camaraderie and you are, as pointed out, learning real engineering skills. As an ex-military engineer you are more employable, should you decide to leave.

Basic training isn't fun, but you kinda do look back on it with fond memories. At the beginning it seems like it will never end, but you just need to remember that the clock never stops ticking. It also instils you with a sense of pride when you finish, because not everyone does. You then have a steady job, with a steady income. If you are not a spend thrift, you can also save a lot of your pay and put a deposit for a house together very quickly, and get the cash together to buy a car for cash (no need to enrich the 1% further than you need to). [size=78%]Submariners also get extra pay.[/size]
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

boxer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 02:08:00 pm »

Thank you all, well he filled in the application form and was told he will hear from them within 10 days.

Interview and medical next, he is excited and nervous at same time but he is commited.

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 03:10:07 pm »

Wish him well in his career I am sure he will enjoy it.

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 04:19:55 am »

I wish him luck and hope he has a great time.
I applied for the RNZN when I was 16 but got turned down due to chronic acne. When I was 19 I joined the RNZAF as a chef and completed my guilds training there and went on to a career as a chef in civilian life afterwards. If the Royal Navy is anything like the New Zealand forces then he is in for some great training and some good times.
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 08:51:21 am »

Good luck to the young lad, he has my respect for a start!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.