Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A little help please with my old Destroyer  (Read 5337 times)

v33tra

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
A little help please with my old Destroyer
« on: March 23, 2016, 02:03:38 am »

New to the forum so hello everyone, also new to model boats so please bear with me

I posted this on the FB Group but I think here is a better option

I have this 5ft long model Warship that belonged to my Grandfather and was last used by Dad as a child around 60 years ago on a local boating lake

Can anyone help me identify if it is manufactured or home made?
What ship it might be based on? ( looks similar to a 1930s I-Class Destroyer for example HMS Imogen as attached )
Does it have a value?
What engine type it is? ( I think it is an oil based fuel maybe paraffin )
How do you fire it up if it was in such a condition which this is not?

I would like it restored to running condition is this possible and who would be best suited for that job?

Thanks in advance for any advice / help

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A little help please with my old Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 02:26:30 am »

Hi v33xtra, welcome to the forum.  This is one hell of a job!  Not for me I am afraid but as you may not get any offers, there are 2 areas that need addressing, one, is the boat itself the other is the steam plant.  A steam plant like this would cost £800+.
I doubt anyone would restore this steam plant for some body else, there are too many unknown factors.  Restoring this would put an onus on the restorer that is not really acceptable.  Continuous ownnership involves boiler test certificates etc.
The hull looks wooden from what I can see and maybe sound depends where it was stored.

It may well be best left as it is, sad I know but even a couple of grand would not be a temptation, which would be beyond it's commercial value but you never know!

I am not able to say if it is a kit, but I think that unlikely, it was probably built from model plans, possibly doubled up
Your most practical option is to go electric propulsion as this is much simpler and cheaper to do, you would still get a good turn of speed but that is something to agree with the restorer.
I have restored more than a few models and like to see things working again but I am afraid it is not for me.
Best of luck though,
regards,
Roy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 02:51:36 am »

Hi v33tra

You've certainly got an interesting project there, I would have to agree with Roy. There is a lot of work to use the original engine system and would probably benefit from being replaced with something more modern if you wanted to use the model. I'm not a restorer but a warship buff.
I have worked out what she is based on though, she is closer to being a Tribal class Fleet Destroyer, the A-I classes (all virtually identical in most circumstances) had single gun turrets whilst yours has twin gun turrets, and I believe that the Tribals only had one set of torpedo tubes as they were designed to use their guns rather than torpedos. From this I'd say she is probably based upon HMS Cossack since she was the most famous of the Tribals.
Good luck. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 07:45:17 am »

Interesting model,
I would give the model a good clean especially the engine, some cleaning fluid and a scourer then post more pictures of it in the steam section on here there would be a few people who maybe able to advise better on steam models that don't look under warships.

My other suggestion/concern is that white material on the hull, when was that fitted??
A good heat shield is/ was asbestos you  may need to be aware of what that is....
We know all about asbestos

There are a few guys that sail steam boats in Glasgow Richmond MBC, where I sail but I can't tell you when they would be there as they are seldom there when I am.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 10:18:40 am »

One thing that hasn't been said and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't anyway but for "gawd" sakes don't try firing it up!  Not until it been thoroughly checked by someone who knows what he's doing.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

v33tra

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:35:14 pm »

Thank you so kindly folks for your replies and advice

Today I had a bit of good luck, a friend of mine passed my images on to his retired engineer father who still has full machine shop access and he has offered to take on the steam plant aspect of the overhaul and can remanufacture boilers etc if it is needed after he has stripped and inspected all the components

So that just leaves restoring the hull, main deck and superstructure

So fingers crossed this old girl may steam again if the inspection and replacement of any parts needed goes well

Point noted about the white heat shield it may indeed be asbestos as this old girl has not been touched since my father was a child and he is now 67

One more question how did they control this back in the day once it was in the water? Did they just let it go and hope for the best

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 09:39:58 pm »

Thats some good news v33tra.
I'd guess that the rudder was moveable by hand and as you say let go and hope for the best, but go in a circle.
Either that or it was what we call a straight runner, it all depends on how the rudder is held in the model. These days we use electronic servos to move the rudders but obviously the technology was not readily available or cheap when your dad was a child.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 10:30:03 pm »

I don't think any club would allow her on their pond with an uncertified unknown boiler due to insurance issues. If it has been soft soldered then it will probably not be certifiable, and the joins cannot be remade with silver solder. I sawa glum model engineer club member bring in his ancient looking G gauge loco and be told the same thing. I think he had been stung by the vendor who should not have sold it in that condition.

I wish you the best of luck and hope your friend can sort the engineering out as it would be lovely to see her steaming. Propane is a popular boiler fuel these days and recently Phil Button and Richard Simpson have been looking at and building Steam plant in Model boats.
Pond weed is your enemy

v33tra

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 12:37:32 am »

Thanks guys can`t see this ever going to a club pond it is just a personal ambition to get it working again and gift it back to my dad as birthday present at the boating lake he last used it as a child

Also had another look at it tonight and found out the rudder does move so it is the type that can go round in circles, it is off to England tomorrow to be dropped at the engineers to give him a look at it, also on closer inspection it would seem the full hull is outwardly lined with aluminium ( internally it may be wood I am not sure ) the hull seems in very good order and the main deck and superstructure are also made of aluminium

On another note has anyone seen a model of type 42 destroyer preferably a batch 3 stretched version I only ask as I served on HMS Edinburgh from 1992 - 1995 as a Weapons Engineer and would love to own a model ship like that

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:40:30 am »

Have a look at Deans Marine, they may have something.

Simon

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 12:17:04 pm »

HMS ediburgh semi kits are available from
Fleetscales in 1:72 scale

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 01:29:50 am »

On another note has anyone seen a model of type 42 destroyer preferably a batch 3 stretched version I only ask as I served on HMS Edinburgh from 1992 - 1995 as a Weapons Engineer and would love to own a model ship like that

Here's a couple of links to a fantastic model. :-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeUY4kTZ1w4

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=52900

Regards,

Ray.

v33tra

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 12:51:11 am »

Here's a couple of links to a fantastic model. :-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeUY4kTZ1w4

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=52900

Regards,

Ray.

That really is a fantastic model in post 1996 fit with Phalanx port & stbd, during my time serving on her Phalanx was fitted in front of the Seadart launcher hence the "Garden Wall" added to her bow around 1990 to try and cut down spray affecting the weapon system

Edinburgh was the only Type 42 to have this fit and made her unique, a couple of years ago I commissioned a naval artist to paint her in this pre 1996 fit sailing in to her original home port of Rosyth and would love to own a model as good as that one the detail is fantastic

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 01:34:49 pm »

V33, that config could not have ;lasted long could it as most shots in later life show her with Kryten turret and phalanx port and starboard in normal location for T42, any idea on how long? cheers
I will finish this model

v33tra

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 04:46:08 pm »

V33, that config could not have ;lasted long could it as most shots in later life show her with Kryten turret and phalanx port and starboard in normal location for T42, any idea on how long? cheers

1989 / 1990 mini refit until 1995 /1996 refit, port and stbd Phalanx were fitted at this refit

Kryten came along much later maybe 10 years or more after Phalanx was moved

Here she is in that rare config

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 05:14:34 pm »

cheers V33 be great to build her like the watch the "experts" say you got that wrong, then with a smug smile point out the error of their ways.  Had one tell me I had got the planking wrong on my HMS Bristol, when asked why reply was well other models have got it going much further forward and aft than you have, to which I replied, well last week while I was onboard the deck was like I have it, silence then he tried to tell me I could not have been onboard as she had been scrapped ages ago. at this point I walked away, trying to contain my mirth :)
I will finish this model
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 23 queries.