Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Balmain Bug - Calling Oz  (Read 6393 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Balmain Bug - Calling Oz
« on: May 22, 2007, 04:27:07 pm »

There is a thread on another site about these wicked boats.

http://themodelyacht.com/forum.htm

It may be an answer to the 'footy fever'

This is the 2footer.
Any of the Ozzies got plans or details of the 6"/8" or others?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

romainpek

Re: Balmain Bug - Calling Oz
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 09:01:41 am »

If I understood well, these boats are not radio-controlled, aren't they ? Beautiful and quite extreme however.

mulleted

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 10:45:13 am »

Check this out,

http://www.gospectre.com/ordering.htm

No opinion, other than they LOOK very nice.....do they have the sliding keel???...with out it they WILL NOT SAIL PROPERLY!!!
What do you think? When I can find it I will post a definative link to the Balmain Bug Bible....truly a great read.
Searching...........

toffer

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:28:41 am »

Have just read the Balmain Bug-Calling Oz post.
If still interested I may be able to help. I have the lines of the 6 inch & 12 inch boats, both original.

toffer

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 01:55:06 am »

Have just read the Balmain Bug-Calling Oz post.
If still interested I may be able to help. I have the lines of the 6 inch & 12 inch boats, both original.

toffer
That would be nice.

Where are you from Toffer?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

toffer

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 11:30:40 pm »

Hi tigertiger, I live just out side Brisbane Qld but was born on the Brisbane River& spent many years sailing skiff's of allkinds. I have seen a few of these models but never seen them race.
as the name suggests, they originated inSydney & basicly were boats to sail when there was no 18ft racing.There were many clubs formed for juniors &seniors. Like a lot of things ww2 saw the beginning of the end of club racing. There is a book about them that I have seen& I willtry to find it again. As I said I have copy's of 6in & 12 in lines,taken of originals.I havephoto's of them & have built the 6in one myself.I willpost photo's as soon as I can. They were not controlled by any outside means other than, the"Skipper"who was allowed to put them about,& the "Crew"who rowed the dinghy after them. the crew had to be fit as the course covered a lot of water,that was for Harbour raceing. Dam & pond raceing generally had a person walking up & down either side to put them about. That is the general outline of the Balmain Bug's.

toffer.

flundle

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25:38 pm »

I actually have a 6" Balmain Bug.  I'll try and get some photos of it taken.  I sent off to somewhere in Austraila many years ago and got the plans for the two footer, footer and the 6"version.  I built the little one just for fun.  I have the plans somewhere if anyone wantsa copy sometime?
The book 'Sydney's Model Racing Skiffs, a history by Stephen Crewes is great and I got mine directly from him.
His address is (or was) Steve Crewes, 2 Dunkeki Ave, Huristone Park, NSW 2193, Austalia.
Hope that helps.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:50:02 pm »

His address is (or was) Steve Crewes, 2 Dunkeki Ave, Huristone Park, NSW 2193, Austalia.

Correct address is 2 Dunkeld Avenue, Hurlstone Park, NSW 2193, Australia. (I looked it up in the white pages  :-) )

Peter.

flundle

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 10:43:19 pm »

I got the address details off a little gold label stuck on the inside cover of the book by the author.  I copied it out carefully because the words were so strange and I'm a bit of pore spellist myselve.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 09:31:57 pm »

It would seem that the label is wrong, as there is no "Dunkeki" Ave in the Sydney street directory, and the suburb is Hurlstone Park, not Huristone Park. Apart from that, as I said, I looked him up in the Telstra on-line telephone directory.

Peter.

mothie

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 02:50:59 pm »

I actually have a 6" Balmain Bug.  I'll try and get some photos of it taken.  I sent off to somewhere in Austraila many years ago and got the plans for the two footer, footer and the 6"version.  I built the little one just for fun.  I have the plans somewhere if anyone wantsa copy sometime?
The book 'Sydney's Model Racing Skiffs, a history by Stephen Crewes is great and I got mine directly from him.
Hope that helps.

Am I correct in assuming that the book mentioned contains lines etc?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.