Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Scott Free deep V  (Read 12335 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Scott Free deep V
« on: March 31, 2016, 06:51:39 pm »

Hi all,
I've never really ventured into racing craft before, the quickest boat I have is my old pilot boat which by racing standards is quite leisurely, but they look like good fun so thought I would have a dabble, I've just ordered a Scott Free deep V racer, it looks ok for the price and the revues seemed good, anyone got any opinions on this boat or own one, I'm not thinking of competitive racing or anything like that, it's just to experience a different part of our hobby, anyway more when it arrives.  :-))

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
Re: Scott Free deep V
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 11:21:06 am »

Not had one myself, don't think I could handle anything fast.
Where will you run that in Gosport?

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:07:20 pm »

That looks like a lot of fun for the money Joe!
Incidentally, i haven't forgotten about collecting the yacht but my wife has fractured a bone in her neck, so we are a little compromised in the mobility department at the moment! {:-{
Will you give a review of the Scott when you get it?

Derka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 12:54:42 pm »

I'm also looking at one these as I can't find a nice slow-ish Cabin Cruiser in my budget.

From a few things I've seen and read, the main 'issues' seem to be the flex shaft coming away from the coupler.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 01:05:11 pm »

Hi Nivapilot
To be honest she's probably too fast for me too, most likely end up 6" into the bank %% it's all I can do to keep up with my air boat, so I won't run at full throttle at least not right off, I don't actually sail in Gosport, there's no club for rc boats as such just the one at Walpole park although called a model boat club they have been dedicated to racing yachts for as long as I can remember and most likely always will be I could sail at Walpole Park but not much fun on your own {:-{ so I sail at our club on Haling Island about a half hour trip but worth it for the company. :-))

Hi Colin
The yacht is still here waiting for you as long as you still want it that's fine, first you with a broken foot, now your wife with a fractured bone, the mind boggles what you two get up to %% 
Yes I thought I would give my thoughts on the boat when it arrives and after the first run for anyone that is interested, just ordered a couple of lipos for it and a receiver that I hope will bond with my wheel TX, same make so fingers crossed.  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 01:16:19 pm »

Hi Derma
Well this boat is new ground for me, my thoughts are there are a lot of flexi drive boats about if it this was a major problem you would hear a lot more about it, IMO some owners go OTT and fit over rated batteries trying to get the thing to fly almost, and put extra stress on the drive, I would think if you run it with in the designed configuration there should be no problem, but what do I know. %%

Derka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 01:37:29 pm »

Hi Joe,

Yup, you know the usual Internet horror stories!

I'm still very new to boats so will be good to see your thoughts on this one :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 08:39:10 am »

Nothing wrong with flex drives its what we all use on our fast surface drive boats but some of the cheap rtr boats come with sub par ones and parts  so be sure to check and double check everything in the boat before you run,also run for one two mins then bring her in and check every screw nut bolt you name it because many dont loctite things and they come loose.Also dont forget to remove the flex and grease it well before you use it then again after use remove and clean it and regrease for next time.Also dont drive too slow or you could blow the esc lol.
Mart

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 09:02:35 am »

Thanks for the info Mart, I had planned on spending some time preparing the boat before running for the first time ie. greasing Loctite etc as I do with all my warships, and as I did when I used to build helicopters it's a must for them. :-))

Derka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 09:37:28 am »

The flex shafts themselves are a fine piece of engineering, however what I meant was to make sure the grub screws are secure as a few have ran these boats and lost the whole shaft!

I've just purchased a Joysways Bullet which is identical to the old Hobbyking Quanum Aquaholic. I believe the Relentless V2 and Scott Free V2 are the updated versions. Joysways also have the updated version called the Bullet V2 and US1 V2 Cat.

I think the updates include a metal prop, 60amp ESC and runs batteries in series. I think they also changed the canopy securing method.

I'll create my own thread though :D

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 02:29:04 pm »

Hi Derka
hope you like your boat when you get it let us know what you think, yes Relentless is the cat version and shares the same running gear as Scott Free the only difference I can see is Scott Free has the rudder in line with the prop, as I believe the Bullet dose, as an observation from the photos I've seen you wouldn't want to run aground with these boats, I think the first thing to break would be the rudder pivot, as the rudder would be the first thing to ground.

Derka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 05:03:06 pm »

Hope you don't mind me posting in your thread.

Had it out today, my first boat, let alone fast one.

Seems to cavitation a lot, but did bite.

Once on the plane it wanted to randomly as far as I know veered of slightly and any correction had to be minor as its very sensitive.

This was made worse by probably running it in a small area with tree roots. You guessed, I hit one and it flipped! The wife went in and swam for it. I think there is a lesson here!

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 05:07:41 pm »

I bet that was chilly!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 06:32:59 pm »

Hi Derka
I don't know how new you are to RC but very often people new to it over compensate on the TX especially with fast models, you could try a shorter servo arm on the rudder servo this has the effect of gearing down the rudder movement till you get used to it,  just a suggestion  :-))  ho and can your wife accompany me on the first run of Scott Free if she likes swimming that much. %% %% {-) {-)

Derka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 06:58:47 pm »

http://youtu.be/yvHYtd_9P9Q

A quick video. Stopped recording before the incident.  :embarrassed:

Think I'll try in the sea next, need more space

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 09:32:25 pm »

Looks good mate all you need to do is trim the rudder a tad to overcome the veering to one side,this is usually to the right as its caused by the prop rotation and its called prop walk.Also lessen the rudder throw a little and that should help the over steer.
Cavitation is normal for fast boats but a change of prop will also help,buy a few props and experiment,id advise trying some cnc alloy props that come balanced and sharp.If you do a bit of research you should find out the right props to try.
Mart
ps dont ever swim for a boat ,many people have drowned doing this and many of them were good swimmers.

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 07:55:35 am »

Build yourself a Springer tug, you can then do your own recovery and they are great fun and dead easy to build.
In fact, it is almost illegal not to have one! %)

Derka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 08:50:30 am »

Just had a quick Google. They look fine. Something slow for the wife to drive/pilot?

Not sure how to go about building though, only ever built RC cars like Tamiya etc. A second rescue boat or inflatable is needed!

Hoping to get today again if I can time the tide right. I'm not running there again  :embarrassed:

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 09:22:03 am »

Totally agree a Springer is well worth having, I nearly always have mine in the car just in case, you can make them very basic just to do the recovery job or as detailed as you like, there are a lot of build examples on here. a good investment even if just to keep swmbo dry. %%

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 09:23:28 am »

You can buy a full lazer cut kit for a springer as well as all hardware fittings etc from zippkits in the States,great price and cheap shipping as it comes flat packed.If you ask Joe he will also mark the value at under £40 that way no import duty to pay lol.Might need top order my self one and a few spares the price is so rediculous at $29 ,you can buy a kentucky wheelhouse kit for just $12 to go with the tug kit too  %% .
Mart

http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=86&zenid=2844499e4df846ff8b4d8763a142b984

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 09:29:15 am »

Andy Griggs does a set of glass fibre/styrene mouldings/printed sheets for a
Regular size Springer.
Check him out on Models by Design.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 11:18:09 am »

Unfortunately, the cheapest shipping quote from Zippkits to the UK was $64........
The Models by design version is 50 quid if you do not fancy scratch building.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 11:55:43 am »

I built Gopha Girl from bits and pieces I had around the workshop, I had a spare motor and a prop shaft that was left over from the Deans kits that I upgraded, a prop that I'd had for years, the only thing I bought was the Mtronics ESC about £19, plus a lot of fun building it without the constraints of a plan etc. Ho forgot I did buy the Skipper Sam. %%

Derka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2016, 07:24:45 pm »

I'm looking on eBay for a second rescue boat  ;)

Second run today, much better!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zSRwDCKHRmw

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 07:42:16 pm »

yep this time it looked like you were in control and not the boat   %% {-)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.