Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Scott Free deep V  (Read 12342 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scott Free deep V
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 09:26:46 pm »

Unfortunately, the cheapest shipping quote from Zippkits to the UK was $64........
The Models by design version is 50 quid if you do not fancy scratch building.

Thats only around £44 ,the kits only £20,not bad at all knowing the quality of the kits having built a few .

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 09:30:46 pm »

Second run seemed a lot better mate  :-)) ,dont forget though fast surface drive boats turn better and easier to the right due to prop rotation , also its easier on your driveline,less strain on it.
Mart

Derka

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 10:14:46 pm »

I'll have to remember to go clockwise next time.

The handling is ok, I think when not planing you can/have to use more rudder control, but once it pops into the plane, only tiny adjustments are needed.

I've knocked the dual rate down to less then 50% to help.

Battery is a 2200mAH 30c 3S LiPo. I have a large 5000mAH 3s. Assuming I can fit it in, Is there down sides to running such a large, heavy battery? I guess handling will be affected.

As you look at the boat from the rear, the ESC is on the right and battery on left. I guess it would help with torque from the prop.

The ESC says it can handle 2-4S but I'm unsure the 2815 (according the manual) 1900kV out runner will be ok.

To be honest it's more than fast enough!!

Stavros

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 10:17:23 pm »

looks really good on the water I do hope however that you have fully washed it down with tap water to remove all the salt residue from it

Dave

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 11:01:24 am »

Usually you only need 15 deg of movement on the rudder at speed,yes they wont turn well when going slow.Personally id have battery central for better balance , not sure if you can alter that in your hull without major surgery ?.Many use 2 lipos one either side for balance,still 3 s configuration but higher mah and longer runtimes.Your kv of 1900 should be fine upto 5 s as thats only  a tad under 30 k rpm loaded which is perfect for a fast boat but yes maybe an upgraded esc :embarrassed: ,however 4 s should be no problem i would think so probably fine to try that .
Also as Dave suggests maintenance after running in salt water is a must,rinse down after and also remove driveline and clean and regrease

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 04:34:07 pm »

The boat arrived today, and a little while after the two lipos came along with the receiver,  so all systems go or so I thought, had a look at the boat first, even knowing the measurements it looked bigger that I had imagined, I nearly bought the hydopro inception (joysway alpha) at just over a meter glad I didn't now Scott Free is ample size for our club lake, obviously blow moulded it feels quite sturdy, and has a really nice finish, overall I quite like it, though one thing I noticed was the hole in the front of the one piece hollow hatch that locates over a stud is drilled right though, that could allow ingress of water into the hollow void so I injected some P38 in and I'll drill out just enough for the stud, I know they say you should seal round the hatch with tape but what a pain getting tape round the front radius of the hatch, so won't be doing that, the batteries two 2s 4000's were a pain to get in place, but having done it once I guess I'll get used to it, next the binding of the new receiver with my flysky wheel Tx you guessed it didn't happen, tried several times, the Tx is a FS-GT2E and the new receiver is the same make but a FS-GR3E, so have now ordered a Fly Sky computer system cheep as chips and dose what it says on the box, and I can play around with the EPA on the rudder.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 04:45:03 pm »

I would def use tape to seal the hatch mate or when it flips your electrics wont be happy.Trust me its not if but when you flip a fast boat lol.You can use a good quality electrical tape to seal it, should stretch to the shape if you do it right .
Mart

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 05:49:13 pm »

It looks pretty good Joe, sort of instant lunacy really %%
Enjoy your first outing.

Simon

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 06:13:27 pm »

Lunacy that's the word, it will most likely end up shorter with a flat bow when I get though with it.  %% %% {-) {-)

Derka

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 06:17:48 pm »

Looks very nice!

My hatch on my Joysway Bullet is the same, I didn't even notice till I saw you mention it. Ill have to do the same.

Is yours running a 60amp esc?

You have a metal 3 blade prop too.

Mine is 2 blade nylon 40mm diam and 1.4 pitch.

These are fast, take some space and getting use to but great fun. Im paranoid about flipping it though!

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 06:56:24 pm »

Lunacy that's the word, it will most likely end up shorter with a flat bow when I get though with it.  %% %% {-) {-)
That's alright Joe, I am sure you will be able to re-model as a landing craft {-)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 07:10:39 pm »

Hi Simon, that would be one fast landing craft. %% {-)

Hi Derka, yes a 60amp ESC, a large out runner, running on 4s (two 2s in series) and a three blade metal prop, I've flipped my air boat a few times some times you get away with it by letting it dry out but I have replaced the ESC and the motor it's all good fun ain't it. {-) {-)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 09:26:47 am »

Finished the locator on the front of the hatch drilled just deep enough to take the stud to make sure it didn't snatch and go too deep I put a depth stop on the drill, I'm not trying to teach grandma to such eggs, but it may help anybody really new to modelling, to remove the flexi shaft the instruction book says undo the two grub screws in the coupling, but they must have changed the coupling because this one is more like a drill chuck or compression nut, so you just need two spanners to loosen the coupling and the shaft slides out, it's actually easier the fiddling with two grub screws make shaft maintenance simple.

Bbadger

• Shipmate
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 07:44:07 am »

Hi,

I have one of these, and so far it has been a great model for me, apart from one thing, I want to run it from a "Pistol Grip" controller such as the FS-GT3B,  but because there is no reverse I cannot use the controller without an elastic band pulling the throttle fully "back" into reverse - what controller are you usinng?

(See my thread - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54457.0.html

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 09:05:52 am »

Hi I'm still waiting for a  new flysky wheel 2.4g to come I don't have a receiver that works with the one I've got so I'll let you know how I get on with it. but have to say The wheel Tx I use with my air boat I've removed the centre detent and have a elastic band on that mainly because I'm using a Hobbyking ESC and I couldn't be bothered to get a programming card to remove the reverse function. %%

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2016, 03:59:05 pm »

The FlySky GT3B came this morning so I was able to complete the set up of the boat first fitted the receiver in the balloon not an easy job but eventually got it in without tearing the balloon, and then spent some time getting to know the new Tx it's actually quite a nice piece of kit very easy to set up and programme, I've always had stick Tx's in the past but having bought a cheep wheel Tx for my airboat I'm finding them very intuitive especially on faster models coming towards you, so I can see me using the new 10 model memory one a lot, so on to the calibration of the ESC this was done with no problems so the throttle is between centre position and full ahead I decided to leave the self centering in and just use half the movement as I will probably be using this TX on boats with reverse.
So very happy with the FS-GT3B £25 very well spent, I could have spent hundreds of pounds on a computer radio but it wouldn't perform any better than this one.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 08:51:22 pm »

The rx on that radio is the one i tested under water after seeing it done on the net and it worked so even if they take a dunk its not a problem lol.I use the newer gt3c and i love it i dont even use my expensive futaba gear any more.
Mart

Bbadger

• Shipmate
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2016, 02:52:20 am »

As in my thread, I have this boat, and the same Tx/Rx,  which now work together. :}  I took mine out today and ran 2 set s of batteries through it, I love the way it sits dead straight when it gets up on the plane.  Reasuringly, you can also see a stream of water coming out of the water cooling hole (it must have a better name) on the side, when at 1/2 throttle, at full throttle the boat is gone before I could see.

I have used the same Rx in many model cars, a lot being off road models - that has had the Rx suffer everything from being completely submerged, to being covered in baked on clay, and never yet had one fail on me, which for a £5-£6 unit is amazing.

All I have ever done after one got wet was spray it with GT85 (which I always have on hand for the rc cars) and leave to dry.   I have even taken apart the unit and just covered the PCB with tape where space has been an issue, again with no issues.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 09:32:48 am »

:-))Glad you got your calibration issue sorted, when I re calibrated the ESC to my new radio I also had two reverse the throttle channel but apart from that it was fine.
 I have found one issue with the GT3B Tx when I display the voltage it says 4.5 volts even though I have 8 fully charged batteries in there, so it should be 12 volts or very close,  every thing works just as it should I'm thinking maybe it's a firmware error I can see no way of changing the voltage read out but as long as it performs I'll live with that. {:-{

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 10:15:20 am »

The gt3c comes with a lipo battery pack and its rechargeable using a usb cable or usb charger plug,its def worth the extra few £.
Mart

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scott Free deep V (Gonna need a bigger lake)
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2016, 02:05:15 pm »

First outing with the Scott Free today, this boat is insane, soon rolled it off one of our marker bouys and flipped it Springer to the recue, surprisingly little water in it, she was still running fine, but very soon realised our club lake is far too small for it, especially having an island in the center and you guessed it that's where she ended up nose up on the island, Good old Greg (SailorGreg) came up with some rope which we stretched across the lake and over the boat to pull it off, this is where I gave up, she needs a massive amount of area to run in, so I can't see me getting much use out of her, so she may well be up for sale shortly.

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2016, 03:26:01 pm »

Try the harbour......or Stokes bay.... :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2016, 03:49:49 pm »

Yes I'm sure there are places where I could run her Walpole park lake for instance is 1/4 mile long but I prefer to sail in the club environment, so I've decided to offer it for sale, and get something not quite so fast.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2016, 08:08:24 am »

Sorry to hear your selling her mate,maybe if your into building you could build a nice little Riva and run her at scale speeds.There are plans available,pretty sure i have one somewhere that i planned on building.
Mart

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 08:38:17 am »

yes your right, and I've been thinking along the same lines, or possibly scratch building a small speedboat after I've finished my present build I'll be given it some thought. :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.