Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anodising shop for small jobs? UK  (Read 2976 times)

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
Anodising shop for small jobs? UK
« on: March 31, 2016, 08:17:43 pm »

Hi, I know I can look into DIY anodising, and was going to, but I only need one part (Korts Nozzle) doing, and it would seem excessive to kit out just to do one part.
Is there a hobby orientated anodising place in the UK? Either local to the West Midlands, or mail order?

Or if anyone can suggest alternative solutions.
I've made a 2" korts Nozzle with shaft out of aluminium, it's obviously raw, so I would think it needs protecting before subjecting it to the water, and I was thinking that paint with etc primer may not be enough long term, but your comments would be appreciated.

Jon

hollowhornbear

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Anodising shop for small jobs? UK
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:18:03 am »

what grade ali is it? if it has silicone in its composition the anodising may be patchy.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 09:03:56 am »

Use a decent etching primer, and it'll be fine. Anodising is only worthwhile if you're leaving it unpainted.

Upol do a good etching primer, and you can purchase it in convenient aerosol form.

Alternatively you can make up a mixture of vinegar and salt, and dip the nozzle in until it turns matt grey. that puts millions of tiny pits into the aluminium, giving conventional primer lots to cling to.

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:32:49 pm »

Sorry for the late reply to you, but thank you for your replies.
I went for the etch primer and a decent semi-gloss industrial paint, so hopefully I should be OK.
Rgds
Jon

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:28:33 am »

Personally, I think the look you now have is much better than anodized color.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

solidus

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 04:43:24 pm »

Anodising is much better than enamel coating as a protection layer against corrosion because its grown out from an aluminium substrate. I made several pieces of anodised particles in a small scale with very satisfactory results. The substrate is best etched  with caustic soda at  50gram/ litre of water and keeping the etchant at 50 degree Celcius, before anodising. 50 seconds is sufficient for a thorough etch.
Someone rightly pointed earlier out that silicated aluminium e.g. cast aluminium , cannot be anodised evenly and the anodic layer , which is very powderly,cannot exceed 6 micron. This is not good for corrosion protection. With very primitive apparatus anodising can be done. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.