Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dremel Tool or ?  (Read 6176 times)

maso

Dremel Tool or ?
« on: August 04, 2007, 11:37:54 am »

Can anyone recommend a good dremel tool or something similar for all the general cutting, grinding sanding etc for building models.
I am looking for a good quality product that will last.
Thank you.

red

Re: Dremel Tool or ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:05:48 pm »

Have a look at this range of tools .I find Dremil a bit overpriced these days and more show than go  .. well thats what I think.. Fred

And get the flexey shaft

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/2/product-Proxxon-IB-E-Professional-Drill-Grinder-20025.htm

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:42:42 pm »

Have a look at this range of tools .I find Dremil a bit overpriced these days and more show than go  .. well thats what I think.. Fred

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=20025&filter_cat=&manufacturer_id=Proxxon&name=&user_search=&sfile=1&jump=4

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 11:09:07 pm »

I saw on another forum recently that someone had bought a cheap Dremel look-alike.  He found the performance dire with the mains power unit, much better off a battery, but with a very short motor life.  Checking the innards revealed a speed 400 size motor.  Cheap, easy, reliable replacement.  The guy sounded one happy bunny.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

DaveB

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 12:16:02 pm »

The dremel is a good tool but proxxon are well worth a look, i purchased a detail sander and scroll saw last year and am very impressed with them
Dave

maso

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 01:21:48 pm »

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the alternatives before making up my mind.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 05:43:45 pm »

i have a dremel, well actually its my third one, but i work them hard at work  !- the proxxon ' dremel type unit'  unit is also very good but in my opinion not as good as the dremel...., i also have the proxxon circular saw and it is also excellent but for me the cost of dremel is the only bad point in my opinion,

they are good tools, you can work them hard (and i do), you can attatch the flexi shaft if you wish and the variable speed of the  pro version is amazing, but the initial purchase cost is off putting,

i also have a very cheap version ( bought from cromwell tools- a national tool supplier) which is also mains is also classed as a 'pro' version and comes with flexi shaft, 120 tools/ cutters/ disks and sanding drums and all in a shiny aluminium case for a bit over £40...... its not quite a smooth as the dremel pro but  for the money its excellent  -at £40 you can throw it  when the bearings/ motor sound rough away after a few years of hard use and replace it....

i believe in 'you get what you pay for' so  buy the best you can afford, the dremel and the proxxon are both good units, plus the after sales at axminster  power tools are first class......
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:22:34 pm »

My first Dremel lasted over 25 years with a lot of hard work. Currently have one of the new models and so far so good. I have a Proxxon miniature table saw, and it is excellent for fine work.
Peter.

Captain Povey

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 04:52:11 pm »

Hi There, well I went for the Dremmel after some searching as I thought it not too expensive, complete with extension, and the quality good for an occassional user such as myself. It is good to know there are easily obtainable spares for cheaper versions but do you have them available to hand when the thing unexpectidly packs up half way through a job. Cheers Graham :)

maso

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 02:33:29 am »

Well, I went out and bought a Dremel. I got the 75th anniversary pack. Model 395. It looks ok and goes well.
Now I need to get started on a project.
Thanks for everyones reply.  ;)

COOP

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 09:55:42 pm »

if you have an aldi store near you. try and see if they have a powercraft multitool it is much cheaper and has all the tools

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 10:11:37 pm »

could not agree more and dammed good it is as well

Stavros

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 08:49:47 pm »

if you have an aldi store near you. try and see if they have a powercraft multitool it is much cheaper and has all the tools
I find these cheapo tools dont have a long life or the attachments from other tools dont fit.

Have to say I bought a dremel set approx 2 years ago and I find it very good. The new parts are expensive though.

Roger in France

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 12:09:58 pm »

I use Proxxon tools when ever I can. Superb German engineering. I use 12v equipment for modelling and also their 240v tools for DIY. They are expensive but being in France I get good service, discounted prices and cheap delivery from Germany.

Roger in France.....currently in the Commonwealth of Dominica.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 07:20:57 pm »

I use Proxxon tools when ever I can. Superb German engineering. I use 12v equipment for modelling and also their 240v tools for DIY. They are expensive but being in France I get good service, discounted prices and cheap delivery from Germany.

Roger in France.....currently in the Commonwealth of Dominica.
I also (almost excusively) use Proxxon, and they are superb....but....the owner of my local Model Shop is adamant that although they may be a German design they are made in China. The "top quality" items are then marketed under the "proxxon" brand and the ones that are not quite "up to scratch" are marketed (cheaper) elsewhere. Food for thought?
Notes from a simple seaman

Garabaldy

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 10:21:07 am »

I just bought the dremel 300/55 with flexi shaft attachment for £60.

Just got to wait for it to arrive and get going ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.