Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pistol Grip Controller  (Read 7837 times)

Bbadger

• Shipmate
Pistol Grip Controller
« on: April 05, 2016, 07:46:07 am »

Hi,

I have two boats that only have forward running.  Is there a reasonably priced pistol grip style controller that either has a boat mode or can be easily converted to use the full range of the "trigger" in forward mode?

I have a number of RC cars and find that the fast boats are easier to control with the pistol grip style controllers, obviously they only need to be 2 or 3 channel.  Preferably 2.4ghz

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pistol Grip Controller
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:28:57 am »

Hi i use flysky controllers on all my fast boats be they fast electric or 2 stroke petrol never had issues with them .

UK seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-FS-GT3C-2-4G-Radio-Remote-Control-RC-Car-Boat-Tank-Transmitter-Receiver-/361169391303?hash=item54175f8ec7:g:JKoAAOSwyZ5UoO8r

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:06:31 pm »

My Flysky works fine - probably four+ years old I think. Dropped it a few times too.

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 12:19:22 pm »

Ive got 2 40 meg inc receivers and a 2.4  sets all inc receievers if you want to purchase some

All are brand new never used

Dave

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:59:04 pm »

My Flysky works fine - probably four+ years old I think. Dropped it a few times too.

Dave

Dave i dropped mine in the salt water lake 3 yrs ago and still going strong,i just rinsed it under the tap and dried it out lol.Ive also done that stupid test where you put the rx under water in a glass and it worked lol.
Mart

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 03:06:34 pm »

Ooh not dunked my Flysky yet  :o nice to know yours survived.

Nothing is very safe in my hands these days (arthritis in my thumbs) so I prefer a cheap tx whenever possible.

Dave

Bbadger

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 08:41:34 pm »

Ok am I missing something?

I have a flysky controller FS-GT3B which has done me well - the problem I have is that as soon as I turn the reciever on with the trigger in the "neutral" position the motors run at 50% throttle - I have only managed to overcome this with the use of a rubber band around the trigger pulling itg back in to full reverse - or 0 throttle.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:32:34 pm »

Sounds like you need to trim the throttle some,actually reverse on a fast boat is full stop for me as i dont use reverse on any of my fast boats.

Bbadger

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 09:46:43 pm »

I think I am not making myself clear.  The pistol grip controllers have the trigger set at 50% (or simillar) any mobement over tis is forward and any movement less is reverse.

Even trimming the trigger in to reverse does not let me use the minimum - I bind the controller and go in to the setuo of the esc, where I try to set the 0 throttle to th edefault 50% of the trigger - and it still does not accept this - this is on 2 seperate esc that  have tried.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 07:27:58 am »

Sounds like the esc is the problem ,you need to program it so there is no reverse or else try a dif esc that has no reverse . What you will find with brushless escs though is you cant run slow,and you shouldnt either or else you will burn it out.Its a kind of all or nothing,you can run at half throttle but thats about it,any slower things get hot and burn out but im sure you know that. Most of my boat ESCs do not have reverse function .
Mart

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 07:10:22 pm »

I had this problem when I used a turnigy brushed ESC. Have you got an aircraft speed controller in your boat?

Bbadger

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 02:43:15 am »

I had this problem when I used a turnigy brushed ESC. Have you got an aircraft speed controller in your boat?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__81594__HobbyKing_Marine_8482_Scott_Free_Offshore_Racing_Deep_V_Racing_Boat_730mm_ARR_UK_Warehouse_.html

quite possibly - it is an outrunner brushless - although I have read on the Hobbyking pages it is possible to program the esc to have reverse.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 10:28:13 am »

You don't want reverse on these surface drive boats the prop wash would swamp the boat or worse  pull the boat under the water. It definitely sounds like an aircraft speed controller with a water heat sink on. Aircraft esc's are cheaper than marine ones so it would seem they've used it to keep costs down. If you can find the programming options you may be able to set the zero throttle to middle stick.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 10:39:32 am »

One thing I did was mechanically modify the center return mechanism in the pistol grip. Down side is of course you can only use that controller for forwards only boats. I'd suggest you buy either a seaking or turnigy marine ESC. 
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__74072__Turnigy_Marine_60A_BEC_Waterproof_Speed_Controller_with_Water_Cooling.html

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 04:33:53 pm »

I have to agree with Mike  :-)) .
Mart

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 07:10:26 pm »

Hi Bbadger,
As said in my Scott Free thread I'm waiting for a FS-GT3B, to arrive but I have a spare 2.4g stick set so I thought I would give calibrating the ESC a go, and it works fine IE. Centre stick stop, full throttle stick fully forward, any movement of the stick backwards nothing happens, are you sure you calibrated the ESC correctly. {:-{

Bbadger

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 12:46:50 am »

Hi Bbadger,
As said in my Scott Free thread I'm waiting for a FS-GT3B, to arrive but I have a spare 2.4g stick set so I thought I would give calibrating the ESC a go, and it works fine IE. Centre stick stop, full throttle stick fully forward, any movement of the stick backwards nothing happens, are you sure you calibrated the ESC correctly. {:-{

I am hoping to get a chance to take the boat out again tomorrow (well later today) I will have another go at calibrating the esc and see what happens.

If not I will look at a cheap transmitter and see if I can modify the mechanism. 

I do not want to have reverse, partly because I believe it will not do anything good to the flexible shaft.

Thank you everyone for your help,   I will let you know how I get on.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 08:14:18 am »

Change the esc  to a marine esc with no reverse  :-)) .

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 09:31:03 am »

He has the same boat as me so should have the same ESC and mine works fine using the centre as stop.

the procedure I used was,,   put the throttle to full ahead and switch on TX keep the holding the throttle on full, now power up the ESC you should hear four tones, now return the throttle to the centre position, you should hear three tones, now power down the ESC and switch off the TX, now power up and it should be ok,

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 11:38:27 am »

Good to know it works,pitty they dont tell you how to do it in the manual .

Bbadger

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 02:36:51 am »

Hi All,

Took the boat out today  -  Reset the esc, this time it worked! (apart from having to reverse the servo setting for some reason)  So now I am a happy little bunny!.

Thanks Everyone!

Henry70x

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 10:23:54 am »

Is a Pistol Grip controller the preferred method of controlling a RC Boat

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 11:25:47 am »

Is a Pistol Grip controller the preferred method of controlling a RC Boat

Down to personal choice likewise with RC cars O0

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 07:31:02 pm »

Would a stick tx be suitable for a relatively slow vessel like my large sailing yacht Joe?
Bob.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 08:00:05 pm »

That would be my preferred TX for that type of vessel Bob, I use one for my Victoria with the left stick on a ratchet for the sails and rudder on the right.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.