Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thames Barge Brails  (Read 2764 times)

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
Thames Barge Brails
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:47:23 am »

Here's another barge question,  Do the brails go right round the sail and back to the mast or not?     Are the brails pulled in one at a time or all together considering a crew of two has to do it all?      Many thanks for your time.    No dought I'll have more barge questions for you later.   Best regards, Geoff C.
All my senior moments seem joined together these days.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Thames Barge Brails
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:23:42 pm »

Hi Geoff

I have just done a google search 'Thames barge rigging'. I then went to the 'images' link and there are several photos of brailed sails detail. Looks like it may be a good start point

In a picture of one boat, the higher of the brails go around the sail and back to the gaffer, the lower go around the sail and back to the mast.

TT
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 04:59:54 pm »

Have a look on the AMBO site.

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:32:53 pm »

Many thanks guys, now why didn't I think of that, Doh.
All my senior moments seem joined together these days.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 05:40:40 pm »

Having sailed on several barges in my youth and put the mainsail back into a barge on my own. I can tell you for certain that lower, middles and main brails are roved round the mainsail through cringles on the bolt rope, then back to the main mast, where you join the end of one side with a bowline knot on the other side of the luff side blocks. You then heave in the sail and pull on the double part of the brails together. Then proceed to the upper peak and lower peak brails and pull in one side then the other. They are separate ropes attaching on the bolt rope. the peaks having a eye spliced on the end and the rope goes through the cringle ( on the Mainsail leech )and back through the eye to the mast and then through blocks down to deck level. The lowers are also rigged through stirrup blocks attached to the mainsail so as to stop them fouling the bottom of the sail and deck fittings. A good book to have is an old publication, " A Handbook of Sailing Barges " by F.S Cooper and John Chancellr published by Adlard Coles of 8 Grafton Street, London. ISBN No 0 229 642322. Reissued in 1989 originally published 1955. F.S. Cooper was a well known sailing barge master in his time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 23 queries.