Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1970s Diesel Harbour Tug RANGI  (Read 13426 times)

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
Re: 1970s Diesel Harbour Tug RANGI
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 02:26:38 am »

"covered with a tarpaulin"

There's your answer staring at you!!  %% :-)) %)
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 08:15:22 am »

Tarpaulin is easy to make. Kitchen paper roll with pva glue brushed well in and then draped over your item, add creases and folds as you mould it to the shape so it looks natural. 24 hours to dry and set solid, then paint in your tarpaulin colour, green/blue or offwhite. If you want to rope it down, use sewing thread and a small needle along the edges.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 10:44:45 am »

Teabags also make good canvas. Same treatment as the paper towel method.

Ian.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2016, 01:16:11 am »

I haven't updated the build recently as I pretty much lost steam on it. Started with a hiss and a roar and then work and other thing got in the way.I have been slowly and intermittently making little bits and pieces to go on the boat – and there always seems to be more on the list however I'm back on the job now.
First thing I managed to do was drop the bridge and break off the top of the mast – Doh! It had gone together really easily first time round but the repairs took ages and needed lots of tweaking.
I hadn't had any reference of the anchor windlass but Phil (Mermod) sent me a couple of images of another (Tasmanian) vessel in this class and using a bit of licence I came up with a reasonable looking windlass based on Phil's version.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2016, 03:10:21 am »

Also made a start on the railings.[/size]I made up a simple jig/template for the flying bridge railings – much easier getting the 3 rails to bend into the same radius this way.The other railings took a bit longer than anticipated but I don't mind the whole soldering/filing process so it was a quite relaxing couple of evenings.I've slowly been adding to the box of bits to go onto the boat. There is a completed boat in there somewhere. Only the lights (12), flying bridge console, life buoy brackets (4) and speakers (2) left to make – yahoo!From today there should be more coming out than going in.Started placing the various components in place. First the deck equipment, then the fenders, then starting on the superstructure. As usual there is a order that things need to be done and as usual I find that I either haven't made something or need to remake/repaint something and the whole process stops for awhile.Everything is waiting on the glazing at the moment, which is waiting on a paint touch-up.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 03:14:11 am »

The fenders went on much easier than I had imagined.[/size]The fender rubber is a strip of foam rubber that I have had laying around for ages. That was stuck on with contact rubber adhesive. You only get one shot with that stuff so I was very careful when positioning the rubber. Worked out OK.The fender straps and turnbuckle straps are the thinnest brass rod I could find.The hull and deck are now just about finished. Added the fire-hose piping, engine room escape hatch, towing bow and capstan, and the anchor windlass and platform in the bow. The deck and its equipment are all the same colour so it all tends to blend in together, same with the turnbuckles on the fenders – hard to see any detail – I guess that works in my favourOnly things on the hull left to do are the tyres and I can't put them in place until the boat's name and hull markings go on and that is always the last thing I do in a build. Hopefully that won't be too far away.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2016, 04:30:03 am »

Slowly but surely making progress. [/size]Needed to touch up the paint in a few areas and was then able to start attaching items from the box of bits. Also repaired the damage to the mast – I'm taking a bit more care with it now – don't want to do that again.The tow hook came together surprisingly easily. Not functional so it's made from styrene.The engine room vents are waiting for their covers and the work floodlights will go onto the supports next to the vents. Just the deck lights, railings and a few more deck vents to add.Finished the nav lights yesterday and the binnacle this morning so more pieces to make. The end is in sight. Yahoo!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2016, 05:57:16 am »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 10:33:55 pm »

These next photos have shown up a few areas that need to be touched up but well into the home straight now. I've been attaching all of the pieces made earlier and it's coming together at last.
These photos show the superstructure all completed apart from the searchlight and lifebuoys and widow wipers.The hull still needs its tyres chained on.
And a display stand – forgot all about that!?
Should all be finished in a few days if work doesn't get in the way.
The loud speaker is bigger than the original but at a smaller size it was hard to tell what it was.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 10:37:25 pm »

When the real boats were in this colour scheme the Otago Harbour Board (OHB) had become Port Otago so the OHB logo was no longer used, however it is such a good logo and was originally on the boats in brass so I've re-instated it. Similar license with the fire hose – the real boats had black rubber hoses, I've used the woven type, which is strip styrene – and they do stretch the length of the deck.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 10:39:18 pm »

Same licence with the work lights – the real boat had wimpy little fluoros so I've upgraded them to beefy halogens.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 11:05:55 pm »

Awesome!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2016, 12:57:23 am »

Lots of words we could say Steve....how about superbly crisp sharp detail  %)......

If you keep up like this & with a bit of practice we could make a 1/2 decent model builder of you one day {-)

Cannot wait to see the engine room.......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2016, 03:13:25 am »

Thanks boys.
Finally got round to adding the last little bits and pieces – aerials, lifebuoys and put on tyre fenders. A few areas needed a little touch up with paint, and lastly... the names and hull markings were applied.
I'd forgotten to make a display stand so that took a few hours extra but now it is all finished and can start gathering dust. Yahoo

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2016, 03:19:36 am »

A few more before it goes on the shelf...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2016, 03:27:58 am »

Wonderful sir!   O0

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2016, 10:10:31 pm »

Awesome work  :-)) :-))
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2016, 09:30:49 am »

Thanks boys.
Next one is ready to go.

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 11:14:04 pm »

Great model and equally great job. Well done!

Regards
Wilhelm

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2016, 04:13:53 am »

Thanks Wilhelm.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.