Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Hobby' Vice.  (Read 12727 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 'Hobby' Vice.
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:52 pm »

If people want to knock anyone then let's drop nationalities altogether and focus on business. Businessmen will set the price they will pay and contract for exactly what. I have lots of Chinese stuff that works fine for day to day works ... Blue escs excepted. I'm in agreement with Father Ted

"The Chinese - A Great bunch of lads"!

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 12:00:04 am »

If all companies off shore...

Ah, now this is where my common sense utterly gets bamboozled by modern economics.

Back in the day, when I were a lad, the UK had a manufacturing industry. People were paid to make widgets, for example, and popped out to buy gizmos, doodahs, and whatjamacallits with their cash. Products were created, money flowed about, and all made sense.

These days, people work in service industries, selling each other stuff in the retail sector, running hotels and conference venues and offering financial products. We buy in all the widgets, gizmos, doodahs and whatjamacallits from somewhere else. But what with? Where is any money actually made? What is created? And they bang on about 'growth'.

I dunno.

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 01:58:52 am »

Ultimately, in China, you get what you pay for. There are no 'real' bargains. The thing that costs three times as much will outperform and outlast the cheaper one. Often the price difference is a factor of 3 or 4.

How does this help you the UK consumer, where companies pricing is based on more than just cost considerations. Buy the more expensive one. In UK the difference in price can be 50%, but even that is marked up from a base price. Sadly 'Made in England' does not guarantee quality any more.
If you really want to do your research search these two websites, and you will find the export prices for made in China products http://www.alibaba.com/  and http://www.madeinchina.com/
However, you will not be able to buy from here, unless you want to trade, as everything here is bulk order quantities. Sometimes quoted in tonnes.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 08:47:10 am »

Basically the problem lies, in this case, with Stanley.
So, are they still British? Or have they been bought by the Chinese?
If the former then this is not the Chinese' fault.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 11:23:02 am »

Ultimately, in China, you get what you pay for. There are no 'real' bargains. The thing that costs three times as much will outperform and outlast the cheaper one. Often the price difference is a factor of 3 or 4.

How does this help you the UK consumer, where companies pricing is based on more than just cost considerations. Buy the more expensive one. In UK the difference in price can be 50%, but even that is marked up from a base price. Sadly 'Made in England' does not guarantee quality any more.
If you really want to do your research search these two websites, and you will find the export prices for made in China products http://www.alibaba.com/  and http://www.madeinchina.com/
However, you will not be able to buy from here, unless you want to trade, as everything here is bulk order quantities. Sometimes quoted in tonnes.

Alibaba has a retail site:
www.aliexpress.com
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 12:13:56 pm »

Essex,

Thank you, very interesting site.

Noted that most Chinese sites offer free postage.
In fact the Government probably picks up the tab.

Wanted to buy some articles from the US, cost $90.00, delivery was $110.00.

When I asked about alternate delivery systems, answer was nope we only use UPS.

Cancelled the order.

Not only are the Chinese "items" the same as and cheaper than the "others" but they can also be post free.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out who will still be in business in a years time.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 06:52:35 pm »

Granted we knock the Chinese (me included sometimes), but to be honest, they are good at making most things, either manufactured - say I phones for instance or the parts therin, or industrial motors (most 0.25kW to 45.0kW inclusive are Chinese manufacturers) made under strict guidelines, and rebadged to suit different suppliers - even seimens.

Uk manufactured items are dodgy sometimes as they try to compete in price, not all - just a few, the company I worked for prior to my latest job, made fans, where the competitions HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION AT A PREMIUM PRICE - was our standard, so a client could buy a rivals for say £1000.00 and it would last a year maybe, then he would by another the following year and so on, justifying to the bean counter, "look I've bought a fan for £1000.00 in this years budget", the other manufacturer (us) would have cost £2500.00. Yet ours would last 4-5 years or longer, so do the math. We also made them to suit the application and adjusted them to suit the connection and situation, whereas they may have had to buy special tapers and other bits to make it fit. But I'm not bitter - much.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 01:55:11 pm »

Free postage.
This probably won't be postage from China. Just imagine Amazon with a Chinese owner.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

kees de mol

• Full Mayhemer
  • crazy about shipbuilding
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 06:46:37 pm »

Alibaba has a retail site:
www.aliexpress.com

That true. I bought lots of stuff there. little tools like files in all different sizes forms and type. Hobbyknifes, sandingsticks, paintbrushes. Lots and lots of smd-leds, resistors, wire and other electronic stuff, very nice tweezers (even with ceramic tips) and all for very low pricing. Some times I order and one week later it is delivered. When something goes wrong, you just contact the seller and you will get full refund or a new item. And the deliveringcosts are zero euro's . Most of the items are of good quality (not worse then when you buy it in a store (if offcourse you can find a store who sells the items))

Ohh, some times you really get Chinese quality :o . I once ordered 5 stainless steel ruller (15cm) for in total 2 euro. They look very good and they were cheap but after measuring the rulers turned out 15cm was 15,2 cm  >:-o I contact the seller and I got my whole 2 euro's back :-)) The rulers I still use offcourse
Groetjes, Kees

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2016, 10:53:33 pm »

That true. I bought lots of stuff there. little tools like files in all different sizes forms and type. Hobbyknifes, sandingsticks, paintbrushes. Lots and lots of smd-leds, resistors, wire and other electronic stuff, very nice tweezers (even with ceramic tips) and all for very low pricing. Some times I order and one week later it is delivered. When something goes wrong, you just contact the seller and you will get full refund or a new item. And the deliveringcosts are zero euro's . Most of the items are of good quality (not worse then when you buy it in a store (if offcourse you can find a store who sells the items))

Ohh, some times you really get Chinese quality :o . I once ordered 5 stainless steel ruller (15cm) for in total 2 euro. They look very good and they were cheap but after measuring the rulers turned out 15cm was 15,2 cm  >:-o I contact the seller and I got my whole 2 euro's back :-)) The rulers I still use offcourse

Kees,

Yes, agree, my Son buys from China all the tome as does my Daughter, jewelry.

Both say no arguments if you complain, they just send a replacement.

Much, much, better than buying from fleabay
Gunna build those other boats one day.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 08:34:08 am »

Another good site for bits and bobs
http://www.banggood.com/

same no quibble customer service

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 07:59:38 pm »

I too have items that were made in China & I think we sometimes unfairly knock their products.  I have a Busy Bee store in the city & it sells mainly Chinese workshop equipment. I have to name a few items bought from them A Lathe & most of its tooling, also a milling machine & the tooling as well, several, vices, ( I have nearly all the tooling for the mill I think, LOL )a Makita scroll saw, Robi  bench grinder ( I already have industrial doubles in my main work shop for really heavy work. I have not had a spot of trouble with any of these tools. Their lathes & mills will match most from anywhere else & are in some cases much better than the competition, & are sitting on the floor ready to test. I have got over a hundred different tools from this store, 95% Chinese & have never had to return a single item. The range of accessories they have made for their lathes & milling machines is mind boggling & best of all nearly always in stock and @ very good prices. Before you buy any tools have a look at their web site & also Grizzly in the U.S. (same people as Busy Bee, brothers in fact )I would think they sell in Europe under a different name. When our dollar was on par I purchased from Grizzly as well & received the items in less than a week & undamaged. They quote the shipping costs also for each item. I get brochures from B/Bee & an Email from Grizzly when they are having a sale. I just bought a buffing machine from Busy Bee on Saturday , cleared a space on the bench,( not so easy, where was Neil when I needed him ) unpacked it, plugged it in & switched it on, it ran quiet & smooth, again no complaints.  Mick B. NOTE I AM A SUCKER FOR TOOLS.
Mick B.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 08:16:43 pm »

NOTE I AM A SUCKER FOR TOOLS.

Irishcarguy tests his latest purchase

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 11:07:53 pm »

These are good too.  :-))  My Moron Lamp works fine -  in the daytime!  %%  My only question is - where are the Stanley Hobby Vices????

kees de mol

• Full Mayhemer
  • crazy about shipbuilding
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 12:09:09 am »

@Nemo

I really like these adverts. Very funny, I thought only the Brittisch had such a good taste of humour. :-))
Groetjes, Kees

inertia

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 08:01:04 am »

@Nemo

I really like these adverts. Very funny, I thought only the Brittisch had such a good taste of humour. :-))

Kees
Try this. Rumour has it that the publication is American  http://www.madmagazine.com/
DM

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 06:07:10 pm »

the "Hazard Fraught" tools is a spoof of a real "american" company

http://www.harborfreight.com/

and the spoof is incredibly accurate
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.