Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: TID VIC 32  (Read 10428 times)

Tiny69

• Full Mayhemer
    • Tiny's Modelling Site
TID VIC 32
« on: April 09, 2016, 08:17:10 am »

I have been building this model for the past 3 1/2 years since spending a week on board in September 2012.  It's scratch build from drawing I produced on CAD from the original builders plans.  The hull is plywood frames skinned with limewood and them plated using cardboard.  The bulwarks are brass sheet cut to shape with the main hatch and superstructure constructed from plasticard.  The wheelhouse is made on a limewwod frame with limewood planking all round.  All the fittings are scratch build from brass and plasticard.  It is fitted with a Planet T7 radio and Action Electronics sound system for the engine and various steam whistle sound effects recorded from the actual vessel.

I have included two video links
First Water Test
https://youtu.be/esD-fyLee3s

Launch Day
https://youtu.be/bUWUTUnrXkY

Here is a link to the detail builds of the model
https://sites.google.com/site/tinysmodellingsite/Welcome/vic-32---steam-lighter

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: VIC 32
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 08:26:25 am »

Thats a nice looking Clyde Puffer. I think you've captured it perfectly. :-))

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:55:30 am »

Brian60. what a superb job you have done on Vic 32 (victory inshore craft) :-))
she looks the part. and sails very nicely in the videos a pleasure to watch.
will have a read of the build later to day
congratulations on a job very well done  :-))
regards Mick
you only get one childhood so make it last all your life.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 10:04:18 am »

Hi Tiny
Well done there. I have watched the six clips playlist and enjoyed seeing the plating part. Might try that myself having watched you do it  :-))

Dave

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 01:12:45 pm »

Brian60. what a superb job you have done on Vic 32 (victory inshore craft) :-))
she looks the part. and sails very nicely in the videos a pleasure to watch.
will have a read of the build later to day
congratulations on a job very well done  :-))
regards Mick

Victualing Inshore Craft

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 01:16:33 pm »

Tiny69. A really fine model of VIC32.  O0
I am pleased to see that, for once, the builder has correctly not described her as a 'puffer'.  :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 02:10:25 pm »

Lovely example of a VIC.
Is the Radar mast magic?
Now you see it Now you don't  O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Tiny69

• Full Mayhemer
    • Tiny's Modelling Site
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 05:37:36 pm »

The radar mast became detached whilst I was adjusting the trim.

victualing: to provide with food or other stores.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 06:28:14 pm »

Hi Tony,
32 would have bee n one of few that survived.
I suppose the radar was a required retrofit if
carrying passengers (HSE Rules)
I have been aboard but sadly not sailed in her.

Ned.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 10:41:19 pm »

I am pleased to see that, for once, the builder has correctly not described her as a 'puffer'.  :-))

Why not? 'Puffer' is a generic term that encompasses these vessels as well as peacetime builds.

BM

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 07:11:44 am »

tiny69 take a look at the video  link even the owner of vic32 says it stands for victory inshore craft  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yePEkFOF_mI&nohtml5=False
regards
mick

Tiny69

• Full Mayhemer
    • Tiny's Modelling Site
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 07:13:49 am »

Ned,

The VIC 32 operates as a passenger ship and has a regular summer sailing schedule so must meet various regulations and has been fitted with radar and GPS systems. I have included these in the model hence all the aerials around the wheelhouse.

The vessel is owned by the Puffer Preservation Trust and their website is called Save the Puffer but the name on the board is S.L. VIC 32 which stands for Steam Lighter Victualing Inshore Craft.  As BM says the term Puffer is a generic term for this type of vessel but the steam engine design is far from the original systems of the early cargo vessels that gave rise to the description.

Tiny

Tiny69

• Full Mayhemer
    • Tiny's Modelling Site
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 07:40:44 am »

The Save the Puffer leaflet state Vitualling Inshore Craft and having listened to the video must disagree that Nick Walker says Victory and actually says Victualling.

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 02:04:06 pm »

tiny69 i stand corrected my apologies. my 60 year old hearing is not as good now days.
thanks for correcting me 
regards
mick

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 06:59:33 pm »

Why not? 'Puffer' is a generic term that encompasses these vessels as well as peacetime builds.
BM

Aye - it may be generic but it disnae puff - ergo, incorrect. It may sound pedantic, but would you refer to every fishing vessel as a trawler?

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 07:06:20 pm »

tiny69 i stand corrected my apologies. my 60 year old hearing is not as good now days.
thanks for correcting me 
regards
mick

You're welcome Mick - now you've been corrected twice as Tiny missed my post pointing it out. Bob   :}

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 10:55:38 pm »

Aye - it may be generic but it disnae puff - ergo, incorrect. It may sound pedantic, but would you refer to every fishing vessel as a trawler?

If you are going to be pedantic then the term 'Puffer' can only be applied to the original scows fitted with single-cylinder, non-condensing engines that exhausted directly to atmosphere and thus created a puffing sound. As soon as the compounded, condensing engine came into use, the puffing sound was eliminated. Nevertheless, the small coastal craft plying their trade on the West Coast continued to be known as 'Puffers'. VICS were added under this heading when they came into service in the coastal trade. Even when some of them were converted to diesel they were still know as puffers and even those in the last days of the trade that were laid down as motorships were still known as Puffers. It was a specific term that became generic through long usage and familiarity.  Consider the analogy of the 'hoover' as a generic term although many vacuum cleaners are made by manufacturers other than Hoover.

If you are to insist that only the original single-cylinder, non-condensing engined craft should be known as Puffers, what would you have all their successors called?

Finally, no I wouldn't call every fishing boat a trawler but then their roles are far more specific while a puffer would carry any cargo and adopt any role that paid the owner.

Barry M

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 11:51:56 pm »

If you are going to be pedantic then the term 'Puffer' can only be applied to the original scows fitted with single-cylinder, non-condensing engines that exhausted directly to atmosphere and thus created a puffing sound. As soon as the compounded, condensing engine came into use, the puffing sound was eliminated. Nevertheless, the small coastal craft plying their trade on the West Coast continued to be known as 'Puffers'. VICS were added under this heading when they came into service in the coastal trade. Even when some of them were converted to diesel they were still know as puffers and even those in the last days of the trade that were laid down as motorships were still known as Puffers. It was a specific term that became generic through long usage and familiarity.  Consider the analogy of the 'hoover' as a generic term although many vacuum cleaners are made by manufacturers other than Hoover.

If you are to insist that only the original single-cylinder, non-condensing engined craft should be known as Puffers, what would you have all their successors called?

Finally, no I wouldn't call every fishing boat a trawler but then their roles are far more specific while a puffer would carry any cargo and adopt any role that paid the owner.
Barry M
I rest my case then!  I am pedantic about this, for good reason, but I won't lose any sleep over it.
Google agrees with me on descriptive terms but then continues with your 'generic' point which I personally disagree with as it is a historically and factually incorrect description although I concede it's popular usage.
I would call the successors of the original ships what my father who served many years in them called them - coasters which is what they were.  VIC32 is miles from being a true' puffer', no matter what some insist in calling her.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 08:12:12 am »

Then by your definition, nothing can be called a Puffer unless it was powered by a non-condensing engine? Given that these died out by the beginning of the 20th Century at the latest, no craft in the coastal trade thereafter may be called a puffer - which is far from the reality and the accepted description.

Barry M

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 12:37:26 pm »

Irrespective of what anyone thinks it should be referred to. I suggest they look at the front of the leaflet above. It says VIC 32, we call her the Puffer, and again a little way down it refers a second time to puffer.

If they call it a Puffer than who is anyone on here to say it isn't? (Glad I was the first to call it a puffer on this topic, even if it isn't :embarrassed: :embarrassed: )

The thing is, to the general public, it looks like a puffer, it goes like a puffer, it probably sounds like a puffer. Who are we to dissapoint them?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 12:43:02 pm »

Agreed Brian  :-))

'Save the Steam Lighter'. would not get many followers methinks.

Ned

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 12:46:17 pm »

The thing is, to the general public, it looks like a puffer, it goes like a puffer, it probably sounds like a puffer. Who are we to dissapoint them?

...and that's it in a nutshell - very well put Brian. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Tiny69

• Full Mayhemer
    • Tiny's Modelling Site
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 07:05:19 am »

Did anyone see the programme on BBC 4 the other night Scotland's Vital Spark?  I have seen it before when it was available on the iplayer last year.  Having watched the programme again I got a sense that the term Puffer, although not an accurate description from a technical point of view, became a term of affection towards these little vessels by those that sailed and operated them as well as the people that saw them everyday until their demise in the late 60's.  It was interesting to see the paper article with the headline 'Where have all the Puffers gone' after the introduction of the Roll On - Roll Off ferries that allowed cargo to be just loaded onto a lorry and driven on and off.  No more loading and unloading of the cargo from the lorry and into the cargo hold.  Even when some were converted to diesel they still couldn't compete with the ferries.

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 07:29:50 am »

For those that missed the great story on the Vic 32 - Vital Spark , You can watch it here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s5n0f
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 08:16:55 am »

It was interesting to see the paper article with the headline 'Where have all the Puffers gone' after the introduction of the Roll On - Roll Off ferries that allowed cargo to be just loaded onto a lorry and driven on and off.  No more loading and unloading of the cargo from the lorry and into the cargo hold.  Even when some were converted to diesel they still couldn't compete with the ferries.

The ferries also got a Government subsidy whereas the Puffers didn't.

BM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.