Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Indianapolis CA35  (Read 62263 times)

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
Re: USS Indianapolis CA35
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2016, 03:21:16 pm »

I must say that the photos of USA ships from the 1939 to 1945 period seem to be very detailed and available now for us to see.  Why is it we do not have such detailed photos of the UK ships when in harbour and at see.  All I can get for HMS Illustrious is distance shots taken from miles out to see.  Bar humbug. :((

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2016, 04:34:30 pm »

Don't have an answer to that one Paul.  I found this site: http://www.usni.org/ussindianapolis I sure would think that similar institutes in the UK would be available. Like walking back in time 70 yrs.  I can now almost take a tour of the ship I am modeling and resolve detail issues and enhance if needed.  Dennis

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2016, 04:48:16 pm »

US warship photos from WW2  and earlier are largely in the public domain. This is not the case for RN ships. The photos probably exist but are hard to come by which is why in most naval books the same old photos (usually from the Imperial War Museum collections) appear over and over again.

Some of the US photos show in graphic detail the huge amount of damage a torpedo hit can cause. I don't think the RN ever released detailed information such as the damage sustained by USS South Dakota at Guadalcanal http://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/w/war-damage-reports/uss-south-dakota-bb57-war-damage-report-no57.html

Apologies for drifting off topic,

Colin

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2016, 01:49:45 am »

Finally got the foredeck railing in.  This forward section is essentially  completed and I can now move on to the hanger installation, then catapults, crane, etc.  For fun, I took a shot at approx. the same camera angle as the original WW2 photo of the Indy at Mares Point shipyard. Amazing sim. I'd say and happy with results so far.  Cheers!  I'll be off for a bit while I get the new phase moving.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2016, 01:50:31 am »

Model.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2016, 02:36:05 am »

Watching each posting Dennis.....I found the subject of the rear of No 1 gun house exceeding the deck footprint when at maximum train interesting then you asked what would it have been like when firing.....the only thought would have been very loud....then someone mentioned the SPL <*<

I have experienced modern 5" guns at sea firing live projectiles.......also very loud [160dBA?], [which is equivalent to 1 million watts of sound power] however at much higher frequencies.....more like a whip crack explosion...still bursting of eardrums type sound if you were on deck..... <:(

One question.....did they really use those zebra crossing markings in the original vessel time span?.... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2016, 04:14:22 am »

Loud without question.  During my time in the US Navy, I was only around small calib. weapons and that made my ears ring.  Can you imagine a broadside on one of the BB's during the war?  Photos show concussion across the water and the ship was shoved sideways!  I have no clue.

By stripes on the deck, I think you are referring to the non-skid treads?  Yes, I believe they were pretty standard.  I did not see them on the aircraft carrier I was stationed on (USS Ranger), rather the entire outside decks were coated with a non-skid paint.  You would not want to go crawling around on your bare hands and knees on that stuff... it worked.   Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2016, 10:17:36 pm »

Now we have ascertained that the stancions were joggled out (and very well recreated by you Derek  :-)) ) I noticed in one image that, while there was no netting along the bottom, there was a cable parallel with the upper edge of the hull side as well as a standard rail at the bottom of the stanions following their joggling, suggesting that while it was possible to step into the gap, there was a likelyhood that you would trip on the lower rail and fall into the rest hopefully catching hold before you fell through the gap.

I don't plan on doing a 'Compo' and tyying it out  {:-{

Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2016, 05:57:48 am »

The Hanger Deck begins.  I did check and the SeaGull SOC aircraft does actually fit inside the hanger, though it won't be placed there.  I had a spare lower wing section that I hung on the inside wall for fun.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2016, 05:58:26 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2016, 05:59:05 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2016, 07:20:36 pm »

That is perfectly acceptable Dennis as RN Carriers were adorned with bits of aircraft hanging from the joists and stuck in convenient nooks about the hangar deck. It adds reality and narrative to the model.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2016, 08:29:51 pm »

Don't have an answer to that one Paul.  I found this site: http://www.usni.org/ussindianapolis I sure would think that similar institutes in the UK would be available. Like walking back in time 70 yrs.  I can now almost take a tour of the ship I am modeling and resolve detail issues and enhance if needed.  Dennis

I did email the US Naval museum  for information on photos they would have taken to repair Illustrious when she was in the US for major repairs back in 1941 to the Norfolk Naval Yard.  But they said they never had any.  Is there any place you may know that may help me find photos take when she was in the US in 1941/42

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2016, 08:53:20 pm »

You might try the U.S. Naval Institute  http://www.usni.org/  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2016, 09:07:08 pm »

I am not sure which U.S. Naval ship this picture was taken from, but does show a SOC Seagull in the hanger and I would image would be typical.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2016, 04:37:21 am »

Moving along, working my way towards the stern.  The seaplane hanger is done and subdecks installed aft.  The decking starts with cast epoxy, then one layer of brass PE and then a final layer of bronze PE.  I guess the idea is to achieve a very smooth deck surface, which is painted and then non-skid decals applied.  I will do that on the aft of the two decks shown and then move on to build and install the catapults and aircraft before continuing on.  This phase is very complex and will take the most time.  Bear with me on this.  Regards,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2016, 04:38:19 am »

bronze top deck layer in prep.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2016, 08:52:48 pm »

Don't fret Dennis, we ain't going anywhere!
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2016, 09:38:16 pm »

I've just read this from the start, after seeing the early pics with you looking through that eye glass thingy gave me the perspective of just how tiny those planes are, this is some incredible work.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2016, 10:24:15 pm »

Yes sir, indeed.  Works out to about 1/16"=1ft is a tad on the small side for scale.  Fortunately for me, the ship is huge, yielding a model 3ft long.  I'm lost in all the detail and how to figure out how to put it all together.  The kit manufacturer leaves it up to the modeler to know how to do this.  And so goes the challenge.  Am now working on the catapults, I'll get some pics up soon.  The kit shows both catalpults stowed with aircraft mounted.  I have decided to have one of the catapults in the launch position to add some variety to the eye.  Glad you are enjoying the post. This forum is amazing what folks are doing and so enjoy lurking about.  Cheers.... Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2016, 05:34:49 am »

First catapult is now 3D.  All parts are brass PE, folded from 2D to 3D tabbing is twisted, then CA glued in place.  In approx. position for launch.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2016, 05:35:16 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2016, 12:38:43 pm »

Wow and more wow! The catapult is beautiful. I like the little towers they sit upon, very medievil!

Excellent work Dennis.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2016, 05:06:44 am »

Ok, I have attempted to show a launch of one of the Seagulls.  The catapult deck is 30ft long.  A power charge equal to a 5" cannon was used to shoot the sled down the catapult, reaching a speed of nearly  60mph.  The pilot had to have a firm hand on throttle and control stick and the launch captain had to trigger the charge during the upswing of the ship as she was charging into the wind.  Commit signal was given by the pilot, you were going flying wither you wanted to or not!  They said the experience had a real "kick" to it.  I attempted to simulate a spinning propeller by cutting out a thin disc of plastic and used a fine sandpaper to "frost" the surface.  If you look carefully, you can actually see the cylinder heads through the "spinning" prop.  I think it came out pretty good.  Adds a bit of visual fun to a static model.  That catapult was a total bear to build and I have one more yet to do.  The other catapult will be in a "stowed" position per plan.  Enjoy.... Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2016, 05:07:17 am »

more.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.