Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Indianapolis CA35  (Read 62381 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Indianapolis CA35
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2016, 02:21:13 am »

Following on with your build  :-)) as always Dennis

Just wonder in the propeller's are in the correct locations?....the first single image confirms outby rotation......the following images suggest a mixture of both outby and inbuy??.  :o.............

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2016, 05:41:02 am »

Derek, I think you got me on that one.  You are correct and I did not notice.. thought they were all the same and did wonder for a moment about that... let me study the finished model photos closely and see if they did it correct??  No problem in making a switch.. maybe you can help me with this one.  Tks... Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2016, 05:48:15 am »

All be darn.... kit manuf. photos show starboard screws both pitch to the right, which would means a clockwise rotation for ahead and the port is opposite, assuming the port screws are counter-rotating compared to the starboard two... make since?  Let me know before I switch um.  See, for a kit of this caliber, it is assumed that the builder knows what he or she is doing..... yea right.  Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2016, 07:33:53 am »

Dennis....have never seen :o the underwater workings of a [Portland-class cruiser], ie., the USS Indianapolis CA35....I would have assumed looking on the rudder, that by US naval vessels propulsion conventions, the Stdb pair clockwise, and the Port pair anti clockwise for FWD movement

Would have been a pig to steer or navigate with mixed rotations >>:-(......... Derek

Google confirms .....

U.S.S. Indianapolis
Powered by eight White-Forster type boilers and four sets of geared Parsons turbines driving four out-turning propellers, the ship has a plant designed to develop 1-7,000 horsepower at 366 R.P.M. and to attain a speed of 32.7 knots [37.6 statute m.p.h.]. The builders were successful in meeting the requirements set, for the ship, and at trials at sea, exceeded the speed demanded in the contract. 
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2016, 03:56:08 pm »

Roger that Derek and thank you for saving me on that blunder.  It will be a simple swap of two props to make it right.  Can you imagine that, for a ship of her size and age, she was "fast".  But sadly, I guess not fast enough to not get hit by a torpedo.  I can't wait for the up-coming movie of the Indy's story sometime this summer?  May your seas be smooth sir.  Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2016, 11:20:56 pm »

Dennis.... I read that she will be a glass case model only, however if you do decide to power the shafts, astern turbines blade sets would have been fitted to the outboard engines only

The inboard turbines were non reversible & these props would have been locked in an astern movement

I also read that this Class suffered from excessive roll from original design {-) and this was cured by retro installing bilge keels

I see from reply [#9 on: April 09, 2016, 10:16:31 PM] that the model has the bilge keels cast into the hull

Makes you wonder who approves the artwork  >>:-( in such model making businesses considering the detail that must be amassed in the die manufacturing for the hundreds & hundreds of plastic pieces

Derek

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2016, 03:42:50 am »

Hi Derek,  yes.. this is a static model only.... I can easily see that she would be sensitive and tippy and actually a small scale to be putting to RC.. although, I see where folks put smaller scale plastic model to power and sail them... what do I know?   This kit is a limited edition model.  Only 12 will ever be made as I understand it for kits.  So, lots of custom parts, but I do see where they are using the same single and quad gun kits and other fittings that I had on the Destroyer I built from them.  I'm working on the anchor gear right now and noticed that the construction pictures on their website show nearly all of the parts cast in brass... well, my kit has half of the parts cast in resin.  Another way to save money.  Kit manufacturer said that the next model they produce will have less brass and bronze.   Gee, maybe I should offer mine for sale.. but not sure I will live long enough to complete this project... she is a bear, but loads of fun to build. Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2016, 07:38:17 pm »

Just a quick shot on anchor windless.  Shows the ratio of brass, photo etch, and resin castings for parts.  Will all be painted flat black.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2016, 04:56:42 am »

Anchor set completed.  (stopper chains are 30 links per inch)  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2016, 04:57:12 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2016, 02:22:28 am »

Forward deck 8" gun turret and forward 20mm Bofors nest installed.  I'll be painting those guns grey.  Just so you all know they are beautiful solid turned brass.
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2016, 02:22:59 am »

more

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2016, 02:23:27 am »

more

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2016, 09:11:50 pm »

Wow! You have done a lot since I last looked in.

It's turning into a beautiful little model Dennis - it's a pity that the brass has to be painted %%

Regards,

Ray.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2016, 03:25:50 pm »

Still at it. The communications deck is nearly finished and ready to screw down.  Working on the Quad Four tubs right now.  Its amazing how the photo-etched parts go from two D to 3D.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2016, 03:26:34 pm »

more pics.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2016, 03:27:09 pm »

more pics.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2016, 05:04:49 am »

Com foredeck and 8" guns are now installed.  I'm thinking of building up the next foredeck level before working on the hanger.  Very slow process.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2016, 10:37:37 pm »

Hi Folks,   comm deck is coming along. Lots of brass photo-etched metal work, complex bending and gluing.  But, its coming along.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2016, 07:48:03 pm »

Hi Dennis, She is coming along really nicely. I love the anchor chains. I hope the company concentrates on retaining brass barrels as I have seen some travesties in resin. Reinforcing wires are all very good providing the mould is not warped or twisted as you cannot always bend the barrels straight afterwards  >>:-(
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2016, 09:47:16 pm »

Well sir, that is true about the cannon.  These are actually turned brass in this kit, very cleanly done.  Detail is madness... i have already lost one very small railing that came on my PE sheet.  I swear the thing evaporated right in front of my eyes... very scary and no extras.. Gonna have to make one up from scratch wire.  I have been working on this communications and signal level for weeks now.  It just simply takes time and I have plenty of that (I hope).  More photos to come.  Regards, Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2016, 01:42:54 am »

Moving on with finish of the Signal Bridge and start of the Nav Bridge.  Comm shack is in there too.  I have not cemented this stack of decks in yet, I will go ahead and continue on up to include the mast and spar, plus Director... just easier to work on off the ship proper. Build process will be Fore to Aft.... steady as she goes.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2016, 01:43:30 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2016, 01:43:59 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2016, 09:51:17 pm »

Looking marvellous Derek. So much detail.

Sorry to hear about your loss to the carpet monster. I remember the floor on the model club I belonged too before moving.It had a splotchy linoleum floor in grey, tan and grey green. Needless to say, it camouflaged all known plastic kit parts perfectly. usually the only way to find it was to kneel on it when getting down to search, or feeling it after soending ages pretending to clear a minefield  >:-o Sadly a nomber of parts dissapeared over the years.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.