Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: latest scam  (Read 4626 times)

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
latest scam
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:32:25 pm »

I get a call this morning from 'BT' "your computer is malfunctioning & affecting your phone line , we need to check & change some settings in your Microsoft Windows"
Me "really? I'm not with BT". . .
'BT' " We control ALL the phone lines and need to reset your Windows" . . .
Me " I'm on LINUX" . . . .
'BT' click . . . . . . . .
So beware . . .they're still out there . . .& not calling themselves Microsoft anymore.
Bill

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: latest scam
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:45:59 pm »

:-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 12:37:13 am »

Noted. Thanks for the heads up Bill.
 :-))

Regards,

Ray.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 07:01:48 am »

You are now supposed to answer unrecognised numbers  " Hello, Fraud Squad "

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:48:18 am »

You are now supposed to answer unrecognised numbers  " Hello, Fraud Squad "
What ? and spoil my fun  %%  I've held one of these idiot's for 10 minutes on the phone a while back , Hmm, I'll have to improve on that . . . .
Bill

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 10:22:05 am »

What ? and spoil my fun  %%  I've held one of these idiot's for 10 minutes on the phone a while back , Hmm, I'll have to improve on that . . . .
Bill

My Dad's is 37 mins  {-)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 11:20:48 am »

Have a crappy old walkman next to the phone with some disco garbage (or a LONG classical piece) and put them on 'hold', then tell them you've discovered a weakness in their firewall and that a virus has been uploaded to their system. In five minutes it will crash!  :D
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 11:22:20 am »

Hardly a "Latest Scam". Most have got these several times a week for years.

Solution:  I got a BT8500 'Call Guardian' phone.  Lets anyone on your call list straight through, anyone else has to verbally identify themselves first before you 'accept' their call.  Complete end to nuisance calls (were around 6 per day).  The caller display lists them all too, almost all bogus spoofed numbers.

Do I miss  1) Microsoft / BT;  2) recent car crash claims;  3)  PPI harassers ?  Not at all !!!!
If I am gluing, painting, cutting etc I am only interrupted by genuine calls.

Simples
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »

Yeah, been getting them for quite a while m'self , always introduced themselves as being from 'Microsoft' . .  now it's 'BT' , that can't be legal . . . .
Their just a bunch of HEARTLESS CROOKS  >>:-( 
There's an awful lot of folk who aren't computer savvy . .
I can't get caller listing , i wont spend the CASH on an all dancing / singing phone  :P
Bill

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:45:16 pm »

At only £22.99 from telephonesonline.co.uk (eg)  it's hardly a load of Dosh. 
Far better than being continuously interrupted by six scammers a day, unless you enjoy the mindless hassle.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:48:13 pm »

Ooooh! will I get them? I get my phone line through Virgin cable. {-)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 09:48:51 am »

Ooooh! will I get them? I get my phone line through Virgin cable. {-)
You have a number, there is a phone on the end, yes you will once your details get into "the system".
I'm reaching out to touch wood, but I don't seem to be getting anything like as many the last few weeks after a long time reporting details to the ICO.
The really annoying ones were those with names like "Michael" or "James" and an accent from the heart of the subcontinent.  Usually doing a "Lifestyle survey" looking for sales leads for a bunch of possibly legal companies.  Just a thought, but I think that the owners of these companies who use such outfits should do a bit of gaol time.  Concentrate the minds of the rest, take away the income, one problem vanishes.  Just leaves the properly criminal criminals who just want to steal money off you.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 10:37:50 am »

At only £22.99 from telephonesonline.co.uk (eg)  it's hardly a load of Dosh. 
Far better than being continuously interrupted by six scammers a day, unless you enjoy the mindless hassle.

I enjoy the mindless hassle  %%
I've got a wardrobe full of all singing phone's that are CRAP , I'm not buying any more . . .
I'll talk to anyone who can say my name properly , & treat them with courtesy , their only trying to make a living after all, anyone else is fair game  O0  thou' I'll have to learn URDU swear words to answer them back when they kick off .
Bill

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 10:54:30 am »

I got one of these last year, they are brilliant and worth every penny. Haven't had a single nuisance call since. :-)

Charlie

Hardly a "Latest Scam". Most have got these several times a week for years.

Solution:  I got a BT8500 'Call Guardian' phone.  Lets anyone on your call list straight through, anyone else has to verbally identify themselves first before you 'accept' their call.  Complete end to nuisance calls (were around 6 per day).  The caller display lists them all too, almost all bogus spoofed numbers.

Do I miss  1) Microsoft / BT;  2) recent car crash claims;  3)  PPI harassers ?  Not at all !!!!
If I am gluing, painting, cutting etc I am only interrupted by genuine calls.

Simples

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 05:31:22 pm »

So what happens if you get an automated call about a hospital appointment? Do they get through etc?

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 06:11:59 pm »

So what happens if you get an automated call about a hospital appointment? Do they get through etc?

Note:  The NHS do NOT make automated calls, they want to speak to you to make sure you get the call.
Oherwise yes.  The hospital / surgery (who are used to these phones) announce who they are, then you press "1" to accept the call.    Automated text appointment messages on my mobile are fine.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 06:50:59 pm »

Hi, mine are always automated reminders and acceptance calls. I usually have to enter my date of birth at some point.

Dave

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 07:45:31 pm »

If you enter the number that you receive these calls from into your phones phone-book, then they will come through as normal.

Charlie

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 09:17:54 pm »

Never had any problem with my surgery or hospital calling me.  As Charlie wrote, I have their numbers in my phone contact list.  Even for someone not in your phone list, you will hear them identify themselves, then you accept the call.  It is not rocket science, and it works.  Simple and effective. No more nuisance callers.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:02 pm »

Yep, we get them all the time - especially the wife. She handed me the phone this morning without speaking to the caller and I said, 'Duty Inspector, Metropolitan Police, West End Central, can I help you?' - then a few seconds pause, I said, 'Your number has been located and action will be taken.....!  buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!   :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.