Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: water pumps  (Read 2544 times)

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
water pumps
« on: April 13, 2016, 07:02:52 pm »

Hi

Does anyone know of any 6 or 12 volt water pumps rated for constant running say for 3/4 of an hour?
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
Re: water pumps
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:44:07 pm »

May be worth looking at RS Components http://uk.rs-online.com/web/

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 09:11:29 pm »

I'm building a Revell Queen Mary 2 with water-jet drive delivered by 12V car windscreen washer pumps running at 6V - I've test-run them in the bath until the battery went flat and they were ok. I've dismantled a couple and the motors are just ordinary brushed motors and the pump and seals, by definition, are water cooled.

My only real concern is the seal life under constant use but they will be potted in silicone so leaks won't be a problem.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:02:16 am »

Aquarium pumps are intended for continuous use as long as they are not allowed to run dry.  The ones in mine are mains driven, but low voltage types are available - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UKDG-Submersible-Water-Pump-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Fountain-Pond-Pump-DC-3W-5-5V-12V-/221809121602
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

aln101boat

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 03:21:33 pm »

Aquarium pumps are intended for continuous use as long as they are not allowed to run dry.  The ones in mine are mains driven, but low voltage types are available - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UKDG-Submersible-Water-Pump-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Fountain-Pond-Pump-DC-3W-5-5V-12V-/221809121602
Seconded. The diaphragm type pumps (rectangular block shaped head that vibrates) for aquariums are designed to run continuously and can pump either air or water. The centrifugal type water pumps (small round head, smooth and quiet) are more reliable, but usually require the water to cool and lubricate the seals. Most are available as low voltage, as even the mains supplied is usually dropped in an adapter to supply a dc motor. Avoids the fish getting zapped.

Driving a boat with one? Tad optimistic, I would have thought, unless its a big pump.
Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.