Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brighton Model world 2017 Cancelled...  (Read 9288 times)

17-21

• Full Mayhemer
  • I love lifeboats,but don't tell the wife!!
    • Phils Rc Models
Brighton Model world 2017 Cancelled...
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:36:00 pm »

Well there's another show that has gone no more Model world.

shame

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brighton Model world
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:00:00 pm »

Could you explain please? We are not mind readers.
The Feb show seemed popular enough,  where have you heard that it is not continuing?
Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:10:09 pm »

That is a shame as they were a not for profit organisation that ran the event. Perhaps the venue priced them out.
Pond weed is your enemy

17-21

• Full Mayhemer
  • I love lifeboats,but don't tell the wife!!
    • Phils Rc Models
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:02:04 am »

as requested. <:(

Statement regarding Modelworld 2017   A statement from the organisers of Brighton Modelworld
5th May 2016
It is with great regret that Modelworld Organising Group have to announce that Modelworld 2017 will not go ahead as previously planned.

As many of you will know, the show has seen declining visitor numbers for many years, something that is being repeated all over the country by Model shows, and in 2015 we dipped below the 10,000 visitor mark that we have held as one of the main indicators we have used to measure the success of the show. Modelworld Organisers Group, along with its partner, the Brighton Centre, have invested heavily in terms of time and finance to recover from this in 2016, and I am pleased to say that we were successful. In 2016 we saw over 10,500 visitors, and the general feedback from both exhibitors and visitors was good. However with this increase in attendance numbers for 2016, the event still did not reach a position of commercial viability.

The published dates for the 2017 show were, as always, dictated by the availability of the Brighton Centre venue, and unfortunately this would have the adverse effect of both being outside the Half term, and clashing with the Brighton Half Marathon – two major impacting factors on visitor numbers. It was therefore, after much soul searching, the decision of the Brighton Centre management that the show has become non-viable at that Venue.

Faced with this decision, Modelworld Organising Group have spent considerable time and effort exploring other venue options, both within the City, and within the wider locality (Eastbourne, Worthing etc) however trying to find a suitable and affordable venue that will allow us to maintain the attractions that make “Modelworld” unique (the truck arena, the boat pool, the live steam, the raceway) are well out of our price range without significant support from outside sources. As a result of this, we have reluctantly taken the decision that the 2017 show cannot proceed.

Modelworld Organising Group would like to thank the many Exhibitors, Traders, and Visitors for their continued support over the 38 years of Brighton Modelworld, and we are very pleased to have been a part of (in our eyes) the best show in the South East. We would also take this moment to thank all the various members of the organisers of Brighton Modelworld, of which there are too many to mention by name, from its origins, through the days of the Sussex Association of Model Railway Clubs (SAMRC), Sussex Railway Modellers, to the current Team. And we cannot forget the significant support we have enjoyed from the Brighton Centre Team who have stood by the show throughout the good times and times of change, and all those who have worked hard to support this show. A heartfelt thank you goes to all.

Please do not forget us, we are not disappearing completely – there is always the possibility the phoenix can rise from the ashes with a new, albeit different, show in the future.

Thank you all,
 Modelworld Organising Team - Alex Tombling, Kara Tombling, Chris English, Matt, Alison, Alan, Jane, Clive, Terry, Graham, Sean, Debbie, Jess and Nathan.
                    Copyright © 2016 Brighton Modelworld Organising Group   

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 06:28:14 am »

Thanks for posting this information. It is indeed a great shame to see the loss of the show although I can appreciate that clashing with the half marathon and being outside the half term holiday would inevitably affect attendance.
Let's hope that the show may continue in a different form at another venue.
In the meantime there is Midhurst but that is a much smaller show of course although still worth going to.

Colin

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 07:16:52 pm »

Just seen this announcement on Facebook :( very sad.

Alex

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 07:27:15 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:56:19 pm »

That was a lovely thing to see the venue involving itself with the show. I enjoyed the four years that Bognor Military modelling and wargaming society exhibited there. Our games were always highly regarded especially Boulogne 1940.

I hope they can return in some form.
Pond weed is your enemy

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brighton Model world 2017 Cancelled...
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 02:44:03 pm »

I have been unable to reply to this statement until now,for various reasons
However,I would like to say how sorry I am to hear the news that the Brighton Show will no longer take place,so very sad
I would like to thank the organisers,Kara,Alec etc,for allowing me to attend for the 3 years I did exhibit,and I was looking forward to coming back once again.
It was a unique show,and I sincerely hope something similar may be organised once more,somewhere in the Portsmouth area maybe?
Anyway,
A belated thank you,to ALL concerned,who previously organised such a wonderful and diverse Model Show.
Sincerely,
Mick French, Cornwall.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 08:33:30 pm »

They did a great job and had several lovely conflabs with Kara (I think it was her) over the last four years I attended with my club. They lacked no enthusiasm and were always easy to deal with if you had a problem. They were there for you and not for themselves thhough being amongst hundreds of modellers and first rate models must have been a dream.

I can see Portsmouth being a good central place to hold such a show, but the costs and footfall have to be weighed up as well as the team forming a new relationship with venue management.
Pond weed is your enemy

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 07:44:21 am »

Hi
Yes sorry that BMW is not on for 2017 as it was just a 20min bus ride for me, but we do have a small show in Midhurst at about the same time of the year to look forward to.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 05:50:21 pm »

Out of interest how much was a Day ticket ?

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 06:17:51 pm »

They did a great job and had several lovely conflabs with Kara (I think it was her) over the last four years I attended with my club. They lacked no enthusiasm and were always easy to deal with if you had a problem. They were there for you and not for themselves thhough being amongst hundreds of modellers and first rate models must have been a dream.

I can see Portsmouth being a good central place to hold such a show, but the costs and footfall have to be weighed up as well as the team forming a new relationship with venue management.

One thing we lack in the Portsmouth area is a suitable venue, either top class hotel or conference centre. The historic Dockyard is a good venue, but security and access issues would seem to rule it out. The new and improved Mountbatten Sports Centre may be big enough, but would they sign it over for a long weekend to a model event? Still, good when the tide comes in, water just by the car park!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 06:21:13 pm »

The Historic Dockyard do host a lot of events and seem to manage security OK but they don't have the inside space to stage something like the Brighton show unless you count the hangar of HMS Illustrious which won't be around much longer!

Colin

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 06:29:56 pm »

Ah but think of the view, across the Turkish scrapyard...glorious :((
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 06:51:25 pm »

Ah but think of the view, across the Turkish scrapyard...glorious :((

Probably be a stall selling cheap fittings  {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.