Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build Materials?  (Read 3602 times)

liammedwards

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Build Materials?
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:13:15 pm »

Hi All need some help finding the right material for my Bulk heads. I usually build larger scale boats using 6 or 9mm Marine ply but have scaled down a little and require some 3mm Plywood.

Took a trip to Wickes and B&Q and the only 3mm Ply they had was Hardwood Ply which if anyone has used this before it splinters every time you cut it, and the sections between the ply are very soft which makes it unusable.

Can anyone send me in the right direction, i need what i like to call it Proper plywood with hard wood layers.
Itching to start my new project but can't until i get this right.

Liam

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Build Materials?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:55:11 pm »

Hi Liam,  you won't find the sort of plywood model makers use in DIY stores, www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk  stock all types of ply but the largest size is 900mm x 300mm so it depends what size you are looking for, it's list under "Timber"  your only other chance is a model shop that usually stock 4 foot x 1 foot sheets.

liammedwards

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 10:05:36 pm »

Hi Radiojoe

thanks for the reply, i figured i would struggle to find the right Plywood, i order from AlwaysHobbies quite a lot do you know if this may be any good at all? or is it the same stuff I'm likely to find in any DIY Store?

The Keel is 55cm in length so 900x300 would be fine.

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/materials/wood/plywood/quality-birch-plywood

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 10:11:26 pm »

Looks good to me it's always going to be more expensive than DIY ply.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 11:54:59 pm »

http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/Wood.html are a good supplier of timber and ply, good selection as well.

Price and service are very good.
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

liammedwards

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 07:44:14 am »

Hi BFGSTEW

I forgot all about Slec, i noticed they have a special offer section with some cross grain plywood.

do you think this will be any good for making bulk heads? sorry for all the questions I'm use to using 6 and 9mm plywood which I've picked up from a DIY store.

liam

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 08:39:03 am »

In my view it is always worth going to a proper timber merchant if you want decent quality.  It will cost a little more than B&Q but you won't get that horrible splintering, voids, delaminating, warping....  (and will probably be a little cheaper than the model shops).  The timber merchant will also order what you want, something the DIY sheds don't offer.  A half-sheet of 3mm birch ply should be a fairly straightforward buy.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 01:21:55 pm »

Liam, I use 3mm lite ply for bulkheads it's easier to cut and you don't need a super finish on them, I always think it's best to build light, you can add weight/ballast when finished but you can't take it off. Of course not so important for the larger scales.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 02:06:55 pm »

Over here in Spain the only ply that seems available (at least in my area and 60mile radius) is the crappy sort.

No problem I ordered a sheet of 3mm ply from the UK. Birch ply suitable for laser cutting (its down to the bonding glue between layers) I paid a premium to have it delivered, 1 off 1200mm by 600mm sheet - it arrived cut into A4 pieces >:-o %% and to top it all I was expecting decent 5 plys, it was just crappy 3 ply >>:-( Not happy as that 'sheet cost' me £40 :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.